Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage Dyno Run - Whoohooo!!! (Read 208 times)
pgman

Central Florida
Savage Dyno Run - Whoohooo!!!
07/27/07 at 19:39:29

My wife took her Savage to the Faith Riders Friday bike night here in Florida tonight.  They had one of those portable dynos there and she won a raffle for a free run.  So, she lined up the little Savage amidst four or five crotch rockets to hit the rollers.

Let me just say that I hope I never hear that sound coming up behind me when we're riding!   Shocked

Anyway, I don't know if anyone here has ever bothered to put an LS650 on the dyno - I know we never would have paid money to do it - but I thought I would post the graph.  I had no idea these bikes would run close to 100 MPH - that is just scary.

This bike is mostly stock, but I did put a HD sportster muffler on and I took out the white spacer and put two small washers in its place.  They guy who was running the dyno said it was running a little rich (which is what I wanted) and that he thought it would crank out a couple more HP (and hit the century mark) if I leaned it out a bit.

Of course, I see no real need to do this, and the speed numbers are meaningless anyway (since there was no wind resistance) but horsepower was about what I would have expected (just shy of 30 at the rear wheel) and the power band seems (to me, at least) to be really flat, which confirms the seat-of-the-pants feel when riding it.  I was really pretty suprised at how the little one-lunger compared to some of the other cruisers there.  Of course, the V-twins all out gunned it but not by as much as I expected -  Wink

Here's a link to the graph - I can't figure out how to add the image to the post directly.

http://pics.livejournal.com/daintress/pic/0008dc7p

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Re: Savage Dyno Run - Whoohooo!!!
Reply #1 - 07/27/07 at 19:46:44

Nice! This gives us a good data point for what a white spacer mod and a freer exhaust actually does for our bikes. I want to personally thank you for the chart.

IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #2 - 07/27/07 at 20:20:21

You are welcome!  I couldn't wait to get home to post it.  It was really very funny to me because these sport bikes were posting stupid numbers (in the 110+ HP range) and then there's this little thumper up there raging it's guts out.  It never back-fired, smoked or hiccuped, though.  It just screamed!

There were a couple other criusers there - a small Vulcan (I didn't get the displacement) and one guy with a Harley in the 1400cc range.  The sport bikes were the stars of the show but I was most interested in how the Savage compared to the larger cruisers.  The Harley hit just above 52 HP and the Vulcan peaked at 44 HP.  I was bummed that I didn't have my bike with me (I arrived at the event in my truck) because I would have loved to see what it would do (it is a slightly modified Marauder VZ800).  The Faith Riders are a truly great group of people who try to accomodate riders of all ages and styles.  Most of them lean toward the cruisers and tourers but they have a number of members who are sport bikers, too.  I think they hired the dyno guy to appeal to the sport bike people and they had a nice crowd.  After the program was over, they opened the dyno again for ANYONE who wanted to give it a try.  I thought that was nice.

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #3 - 07/28/07 at 03:08:14

This is what KLX gave standard but for filter and dynojet kit,compared to Savage with dynojet kit.

Then I fitted the FCR41

and the pipe shown here.

Don't know how much power she makes now.
Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #4 - 07/28/07 at 09:03:15

Your max hp was at about 75 mph on the dyno. I wonder where that would relate to on the highway? For instance, top speed on mine is about 85 and that was with a tail wind! That was on a stock 2002 with about 15,000 miles on the odometer, 225 lb rider, stock Suzi windshield, and 5000ft elevation.

My most comfortable highway speed is about 60 to 65.

Ken

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/28/07 at 11:49:48

When you want to add a picture instead of a link...
open the link, right click on the picture and left click on properties.
There will be an address line, highlight that and copy.
In the thread click on the insert picture icon and paste the address inbetween the brackets.  In your case it's a jpeg, so make sure it ends with '.jpg'   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #6 - 07/28/07 at 15:46:10

Here is my curves, before and after, pipe KNfiler and rejeted carb. its 33% increace in hp and 22 % torque
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #7 - 07/28/07 at 19:45:34

Never got to put the savage on the dyno, but when i got off the Dragon this weekend i put the tl1000 on at Wheelers.  107 horse, max at 140ish mph, 70ish torque, 50+ from 3000 to 9000rpm.  Fun fun bike, but no where near as flickable as the little savage.  I still love my little single!  

Oh yeah, those figures are without the ram air.

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #8 - 08/01/07 at 14:53:41

KenGLong wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Your max hp was at about 75 mph on the dyno. I wonder where that would relate to on the highway? For instance, top speed on mine is about 85 and that was with a tail wind! That was on a stock 2002 with about 15,000 miles on the odometer, 225 lb rider, stock Suzi windshield, and 5000ft elevation.

My most comfortable highway speed is about 60 to 65.

Ken

Ken, at 5000 feet you'd be lucky to get 24 to 25 hp because you loose about 4% per 1000 feet. On a hot day you'd have even less so 85 was pretty good Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
MeeLee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/29/16 at 01:27:06

Odar wrote on 07/28/07 at 15:46:10:
Here is my curves, before and after, pipe KNfiler and rejeted carb. its 33% increace in hp and 22 % torque
Odar
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/Odar1/Odars%20Savage/Dynobeforeafter.jpg

I wonder if something's off there...
The stock HP shows 25P, while stock the S40 has 33.7HP.
Stock torque also shows 31lbft of torque, yours shows 40, and 50 after the mod. To gain 20 LB FT of torque doesn't compute... Huh

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 01/29/16 at 03:23:53

MeeLee wrote on 01/29/16 at 01:27:06:
Odar wrote on 07/28/07 at 15:46:10:
Odar
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/Odar1/Odars%20Savage/Dynobeforeafter.jpg

I wonder if something's off there...
The stock HP shows 25P, while stock the S40 has 33.7HP.
Stock torque also shows 31lbft of torque, yours shows 40, and 50 after the mod. To gain 20 LB FT of torque doesn't compute... Huh

The stock bike in proper tune might be 33.7 HP at the crankshaft.....but I suspect the DYNO run was made at the rear wheel on a chassis dyno (there is a loss of power through the primary drive, transmission, belt drive, rear wheel bearings and tire contact).  And most bikes with the factory jetting are not running at their best....and a proper re-jetting of the carb for the elevation and humidity when the DYNO run is made - will likely to allow the engine to make more HP.

« Last Edit: 01/29/16 at 05:48:24 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 05:31:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Dyno Run - Whoohooo!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.