Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Getting old sucks!
Reply #15 - 01/23/16 at 19:39:27

Kenny

In 64 years a man could ride a lot of Motorcycles !    Cool

You ever add them up ?  If ya count "Friends bikes" that you've ridden and got to know the count might be a bunch.  Huh

Like Two of my friends had Honda CB450's , one of them was stock and the other was second over size bore with 8" over front forks (wheelie machine) totally different machines.  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #16 - 01/23/16 at 20:06:08

MM,

I am going to try to count all of the motorcycles that I ever rode.

I can remember going to Nutley, NJ to pickup my 500CC Gold Star Racer and riding it for 2 seasons. Also, Triumph in Baltimore owned the 500CC Scrambler that I rode for one season. And Berliner Motors in New Jersey provided a Norton that I rode in Steeplechase in California. And the list goes on.

I am going to have to sit down with a pencil and paper to try to get an accurate list.

Kenny G

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #17 - 01/23/16 at 21:11:55

Great picture KennyG. Looking good.

I always wanted to ride but it wasn't until my kids actually bought the motorcycle riding class for my birthday about 4 years ago that I ever really considered buying a bike. Well I took the class, passed, got my endorsement, and a couple of months later bought my 06 S40. I have not ridden as much as I would like, but I have ridden and have had a great time.

I do not really regret having waited so long to get my bike since I believe I was not mature enough in my earlier years. The idea of so many of the forum member having been riding for 20, 30, 40, and even 50 plus years is just mind boggling for me.  Smiley

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #18 - 01/23/16 at 22:40:33

Springman,

The important thing to think about is not the years that you missed riding, but all of the years that you still have to ride.......

Kenny G Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 01/23/16 at 22:47:48

Yeah, getting old sux, but, you CAN fight back. Lose weight, exercise, blahdeblahdeblahblahblah....
Years ago I figured out I had three options.
Get over it, die young, or live frustrated.

Im down to two, count them, Two options.
And I ain't gonna live frustrated.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #20 - 01/24/16 at 04:57:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/23/16 at 22:47:48:
Yeah, getting old sux, but, you CAN fight back. Lose weight, exercise, blahdeblahdeblahblahblah....

Heh!   I can't do "die young" anymore, so I guess all I can to is "Get over it!"  At my retirement breakfast one of my older Mentors said we all have problems, deal with it!

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 01/24/16 at 06:53:46

zipidachimp wrote on 01/23/16 at 11:40:53:
Engineer: tried the V7 also, most uncomfortable seat of all I tried, jumped off quick. The scrambler 400 is almost identical in size to the larger one, 400cc smaller, but only $1000 cheaper. The KTM Duke, only a single, probably faster, is $4000 cheaper! Looks better also. My 2 favs are the KTM and the FZ07.
Time to count my blessings, pursue refining my S40 hotrod and enjoy my Vulcan 500. Maybe next year a Burgman 400. Cheers! Cool
ps: it looks like Honda has given up on scooters, nothing larger than 279cc in Canada.

The Maxi scooter market is dead in the US, they just aren't 'cool' (read, macho and overblown)
If you want a good deal track down a NOS 2013 Silverwing ABS, dealers still have them, or can get them, and the smart ones are dumping them at fire sale prices
of the Burgies, stick with the 400, the 650 has a fancy shmancy electric CVT that seems prone to expensive repair (non electric CVTs are simple and fairly bulletproof)

Honda SW forum is slow moving, and members will tell you the main 'issue' the SW has, aside from needing a better windshield (this come from guys stepping off Goldwings) and a lack of issues  Grin
my perspective: the Givi screen all the Swing forum riders praise is probably much better than the stock one, but the stock one is worlds better than no screen

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #22 - 01/24/16 at 07:27:59

The BMW dealer here in Denton, TX has a BMW scooter. the price of that thing is out of this world. You can buy 2 real motorcycles for the cost of one BMW Scooter.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #23 - 01/24/16 at 07:38:43

Yup, the SW was $9200 brand new, that'l almost buy 2 brand new S40s
I'm pretty sure I'll get another motorcycle sometime though, the scooter is nice, but it's not the same

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 01/24/16 at 09:08:51

Dang, I woulda Swore I hit
Send

Yesterday, when I typed that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #25 - 01/24/16 at 12:19:44

Justin,

I ain't dead yet and have no immediate plans to do so.

Being dead is a long way in the future for me, but some rainy days the aches and pains get to me. As soon as the sun comes out and it gets above 40 degrees my mental health dramatically improves, and the I go ridin'....LOL.....

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 01/24/16 at 21:34:45

Some days I take enough hot showers to need a third towel.
When the aches and cramps hit, it's tough. And, ohhh muh Gawd, a Quick drop in barometric pressure and I have Two heating pads going.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #27 - 01/25/16 at 01:13:28

Why do you seventy plus year old people remind us sixty something year old people, what is waiting for us around the corner?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #28 - 01/25/16 at 11:42:53

I think you hit the nail on the head KennyG. I do think about the riding still left to do. I really just cannot believe that I actually got 2 of my dream rides done last year (The 3 Twisted Sisters and The Tail of the Dragon). Hopefully by the time I retire the political situation in Mexico, Central and South America is good. I would love to ride from here to South America and back. Heck, a nice 1 to 2 week ride would be from here down to Merida in Mexico and back. And that would be at a leisurely pace.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #29 - 01/25/16 at 15:58:26

Guys... I have BEEN THERE...
My last big bike was a 2007 Harley Road Glide... great balance, but when loaded.... (Me, Wife, clothes and camping equipment) 1,000 lbs...
I added an insta-trike kit from Tow-Pac.

http://towpacusa.com/product/instatrike/

I bought mine off of ebay and drove six hours one way to pick it up.
Saved me 400 bucks still.....even after mileage for gas on my pickup Smiley

The smaller ones will run you in the low $3,000 range with shipping ect.....
You have to figure in what you will be paying for the new bike/scooter vrs. a trike kit.
I drove the Glide for about 2 years with the kit on it, but decided I really didn't want a bike I could not push backwards (It did not come with the reverse kit, which costs a bit).
So I went from a 3 wheeler back to a light two wheeler.... the savage...
My suggestion to you gents is to go three wheels with a kit that has reverse.... you know your bike and the mechanical issues it has or will have, a new one... well, its a learning curve all over again, plus maintenance costs if you have to take it in.
But you fella's know all that....
All I am saying is if you really don't want to go above $4k or can't afford it.... try a trike system. The steering is a bit different and you can't "lean into it", but a small bike with a trike, add reverse..... is what I will most likely do in the future.

Also i've been looking around and found this.... little more expensive but shows it can be used on the 650

http://www.voyagertrikes.net/will-it-fit-my-bike.html

Yet another, if you got some mechanical skills... only $1,500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIKE-CONVERSION-KIT-/251011809285?hash=item3a7178400...

And one of our older gents used the axle off one of these.... he bought the axle by itself and welded up his own frame/w reverse.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trike-Conversion-Kit-for-any-year-Harley-Davidson-Spo...

Pic from the ebay, it is a belt drive...

« Last Edit: 01/25/16 at 18:14:08 by old_rider »  

s-l500.jpg

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:19:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Getting old sucks!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.