Getting old sucks! (Read 255 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Getting old sucks!
01/23/16 at 03:20:32

Having spent 3 hours at our annual new bike show, and having sat on every bike I would like to buy, I have reluctantly accepted the fact that I have become a 'feet-forward' rider. At age 72, I can no longer keep my knees bent without agony. In no particular order, I tried the Duc Scrambler 400, Triumph Street-twin, Yam FZ07, KTM Duke 390/690, BMW 700/800, Hon CB500F and X and numerous others.  I love all of them to no avail.
Even the cruisers are getting too heavy.  On my way out, I tried a Suz Burgman 400, and the real neat Piaggio MP3 3 wheeler. Both are attractive.
At least I'm still vertical....... Undecided

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Getting old sucks!
Reply #1 - 01/23/16 at 06:59:29

You saved me a lot of time with your post.  Your list of bikes lines up with the ones I was planning to try out this winter and spring with the exception of the Triumph which I have already tried and found too heavy.  I have the same problem as you with foot peg placement.

Some pegs can be moved forward and down fairly easily, especially the brake side.  The shifter side is obviously more difficult but I have been able to move it down and forward about an inch in each direction and sometimes that is a big help.  

I'm planning to keep my Savage but I would like to thin out the rest of the herd and get one new bike with ABS.  But it has to be light weight and have lots of torque.  The Moto Guzzi V7II (400 lbs) is one I am considering but since I already have an MG I would like to try something different.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 01/23/16 at 07:32:54

there's these things called highway bars, you can even put them on sport bikes  Grin
Seriously I never like the idea of highway bars but my knees are more or less in agreement with yours
that's one of the good tings with my Silverwing, boards with a good 'feet forward' position
if and when I get another Savage, I'll put forward controls or highway bars on the bad boy

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #3 - 01/23/16 at 07:41:00

Know the feeling....73 &1/2 and I recently fell in lust with a Honda CB1100... Then the boss reminded me that we plan on replacing the flooring in the hovel this summer ....

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 01/23/16 at 07:43:29

C'mon guys, you should be thrilled you can still twist your throttle  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 01/23/16 at 07:55:26

raydawg wrote on 01/23/16 at 07:43:29:

at 49?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 01/23/16 at 08:58:53

Zip

I been looking at that Duc Scrambler 400 too.   Air cooled is good , light weight is good.    Thought the KTM might be good too but no dealer where I normally go.  

One of the guys in our CMA groop is 74 and last year traded into a 1800cc new goldwing.    His favorite is still his Harley Dyna , he rides it like he was still a 30 year old.  Wink

I'll  only be 63 this year but I'm trying to catch-up with ya !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 01/23/16 at 08:59:53

Art Webb wrote on 01/23/16 at 07:55:26:
raydawg wrote on 01/23/16 at 07:43:29:

at 49?

No....at 60 and 70's.

49, just a wee pup, goodness, I got socks older than you Art  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 01/23/16 at 09:57:35

Grin

Seems like the older I get the more I find myself waiting-up on my younger counterparts !   Shocked  

also

Seems like the older I get the longer it takes to get started in the mornings .   Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 01/23/16 at 11:40:53

Engineer: tried the V7 also, most uncomfortable seat of all I tried, jumped off quick. The scrambler 400 is almost identical in size to the larger one, 400cc smaller, but only $1000 cheaper. The KTM Duke, only a single, probably faster, is $4000 cheaper! Looks better also. My 2 favs are the KTM and the FZ07.
Time to count my blessings, pursue refining my S40 hotrod and enjoy my Vulcan 500. Maybe next year a Burgman 400. Cheers! Cool
ps: it looks like Honda has given up on scooters, nothing larger than 279cc in Canada.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 01/23/16 at 13:13:06

Hey Zipi. Like you said, getting older sucks. But it is still better than the alternative. Dude, if you are in your 70's and you ride a motorcycle you have my respect. I hope I am still able to ride when I hit my seventies. 72, it is only a number. Ride on my friend.  Smiley

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #11 - 01/23/16 at 14:00:39

better than the alternative! yeah, I thought about that as soon as I posted Grin. haha!
Still a kid at heart, If I'd had the means 40 years ago that I have now, probably wouldn't have made it to 70, counting my blessings, still dreaming! Cool

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 01/23/16 at 15:24:12

MMRanch wrote on 01/23/16 at 09:57:35:
Grin

Seems like the older I get the more I find myself waiting-up on my younger counterparts !   Shocked  

also

Seems like the older I get the longer it takes to get started in the mornings .   Roll Eyes

Ja...... but getting started really has no bearing on where you finish, and that my friends is where memories linger, uh, I think  Grin

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 01/23/16 at 17:16:46

Getting Old Sucks Out Loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be 78 next month and will begin my 64th year of riding motorcycles.

The weight of motorcycles bothers me more than any other aspect of riding, but I must admit that I don't ride the corners as hard as I did a half century ago. LOL

Kenny G

IMG_0453.JPG
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #14 - 01/23/16 at 19:36:53

Kenny: agree with you on the weight. The new bonnie weighs 500lbs!  Of all midsize bikes, ours is the lightest, followed by the FZ07 and the Duc scrambler.  Midsize rules!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:19:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Getting old sucks!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.