Send Topic Print
Oil Cooler? (Read 179 times)
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Oil Cooler?
01/09/16 at 20:46:19

Are the 2 silver oil galley screws on the clutch cover and case for a oil cooler? Looks as if one is coming from the oil filter pressure side and the other is a return to the crankcase oil galley.

Might help keep the engine to run cooler...

Anyone have ideas on this???

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Oil Cooler?
Reply #1 - 01/09/16 at 20:55:56

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/10/16 at 07:40:25

This forum has been around for a long time, and there is very little that hasn't been discussed previously.  The "SEARCH" icon at the top of the page opens up a screen that you can use to search for previous topics, and chances are you will find threads about most subjects.  You need to type in what you are searching for, where you want to look, and adjust how far back in time you want to go.  Be aware that on some of the really old posts - the members may not be on the forum anymore.

Here is what I found when searching "oil cooler".

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1433713946/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1432713147/5#5

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1401067934/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1395765129/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1247791900/0

What riding conditions are you doing that makes you believe your engine is running hot, and that you need an oil cooler?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 01/10/16 at 08:11:03

Best I remember (without opening those old threads) is that an oil cooler will drop the already almost insufficient oil pressure.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/10/16 at 20:19:39

Oil cooler is a decent project for people in certain climates. Generally, not necessary, as long as you use the coolest oil, Rotella T.
You will get higher capacity, but there are some technical issues, so do your reading.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #5 - 01/10/16 at 21:33:13

Yep I figured it would decrease oil pressure. Especially on the one pic I saw in a thread. The guy had his oil cooler mounted way up almost above the valve cover. He had oil pressure issues.

I live in Sacramento area and while it's not hot now it will be in the summer when we ride. High 90s to sometimes over 100. But not in the Sierras where we mostly ride.

More of a question than a necessity. I saw those silver bolts on the oil filter and crankcase then the idea/question came to mind. Undecided

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 01/10/16 at 22:43:44

Have 2 Savages. In the Old South. Neither has or needs an oil cooler. 100 or hotter, 100 percent humidity in the summer is common. Nothing 20W50 can't handle. Factory carb jets are too lean, engine runs cooking hot anyway. I run 150/50 in the 2003, engine is 40 something degrees cooler according to a point and shoot temp gun. No, I don't think that is accurate.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/11/16 at 03:52:41

I do believe we have done some pretty intensive Hot Weather testing on a couple of the Dragon runs, when the temperature was approaching 100.

I had a Trailtech Vapor speedometer at the time, and it had a temperature gauge with the sender on the right rear cylinder head stud.  The temperature was always between 260-280 once the bike was warmed up - except for 3 scenarios.  One was a ride through main street in Pigeon Forge in really slow stop and go traffic....and I just shut the bike off during the slowest parts and duckwalked the bike forward.  Another was a very slow 1st/2nd gear crawl up a steep gravel road.  (In both these instances it was the lack of air flow that caused the engine to get warm....up over 300 degrees).  The third scenario is extended highway use up over 70 mph when the air temp is up over 95 degrees....the temperature seems to stabilize very near 300 degrees.  (After doing the Kawasaki pulley conversion my head temperature at cruise dropped 20 degrees).

If you can keep your speed between 20-60 mph, avoid heavy stop/go traffic and very slow speeds, or sustained highway speeds in hot weather......I don't believe there is any reason to worry about the engine getting too hot.  I am not saying that you shouldn't ride over 60 mph - but when the temperature approaches 100 degrees you might want to avoid sustained riding at that speed.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 01/11/16 at 07:58:44

Like WD said, make sure you use an oil that will handle the job. Part of the oil's responsibility is to cool the engine as well as lubricate it.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
norcalscot
YaBB Newbies

Where there's a hill
there's a way

Northern California
Reply #9 - 01/11/16 at 09:22:56

I live in the Sacramento area too - I got my s40 last May and rode it through the entire summer in temps up to 105. My commute has a bunch of traffic lights and I sometimes stand for 3 or 4 minutes in those temps waiting for a light change. I had no problems with the bike - I did melt my pants on the exhaust once, but that was nothing to do with the bike overheating!  Shocked

2009 Suzuki S40 : Raptor Petcock + Harley Soft Tail FLSTC FXCW muffler
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 01/11/16 at 13:37:31

If you know you're going to be stopped for a while then just shut her down. It should help to keep the engine cool.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 01/11/16 at 15:25:58

She'll take the heat longer than I will... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 01/11/16 at 16:10:21

I don't really notice temperature when I'm riding. Well...unless my hands are so cold that I can't feel them anymore. I get weird looks in the summer when I'm riding in a MC jacket. It only gets to 110 in the shade!  Cheesy

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 01/11/16 at 19:10:19

That's where we're at right now, Kris. I hate it. The air cooled engines in my bikes could care less.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 01/12/16 at 08:01:16

To Savageman and Norcalscot, fellow citizens of the the state of Northern California !
Both my wife and I were born and raised there.  
Me from Marysville and her from Sac.
I moved out of Cupertino in '67 when I went off to college and I picked here up in 2011 from Sac, and then moved here out to SC and then OK.
I would like to try to get together, even if just briefly, when we come out to visit family.  It's good to have a face to go with the name.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:23:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Cooler?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.