Rotella as fork oil? (Read 1039 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Rotella as fork oil?
01/06/16 at 16:50:20

Somebody suggested that Rotella can also be used as fork oil.

Any comments on this? Would 5W40 syn or 15w40 dino be better? I've got both. I might have some old Dextron laying around. I weigh 200 lbs, if that makes a difference. I deal with rough roads, and I'd like secure handling on the tarmac. One of my seals is blown (or full of dirt), for those who don't know.

Can using heavier oil increase the risk of blowing the seals, or is it the other way around? I read that Bill likes to say to use fork oil due to stiction, Is motor oil slicker than ATF in that regard?

Would it be a good idea to experiment with those thin Energy Star motor oils in the forks?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Rotella as fork oil?
Reply #1 - 01/07/16 at 06:39:56

Since no one has chimed in, I will. I think ATF is a suitable substituent. Not sure about the rotella thing. Someone who knows more will let you know, just trying to stop you from doing something like I would, probably end up dumb.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 01/07/16 at 09:43:27

I wouldn't use a multi-viscosity oil for the forks. Damping rod forks already have undesirable characteristics, why further complicate this poor performance by introducing an oil that will change its performance during use?

If you are looking for an inexpensive fork oil you can use ATF Type F. But given that you'll probably change the fork oil once, why not use actual fork oil? We're only talking about a few dollars difference. There are probably other place to save money.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/07/16 at 10:31:57

One thing for certain... fork oil is compatible with fork seals.

WWW   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 01/07/16 at 21:46:05

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 01/07/16 at 09:43:27:
I wouldn't use a multi-viscosity oil for the forks. Damping rod forks already have undesirable characteristics, why further complicate this poor performance by introducing an oil that will change its performance during use?

If you are looking for an inexpensive fork oil you can use ATF Type F. But given that you'll probably change the fork oil once, why not use actual fork oil? We're only talking about a few dollars difference. There are probably other place to save money.

Actually, multiviscosity oil should not change it's performance as much as a straight weight oil. Think varying temps and the purpose of multiviscosity oil. Wink

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 01/07/16 at 23:50:51

I doubt you could tell the difference no matter what oil you put in so do whatever makes you happy. Savage forks just aren't that good. The book says to use ATF so why not give it a shot? It's cheap and good enough for a Savage. Then swap it for motor oil, then fork oil. Do the experiment then report back.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 01/08/16 at 07:29:24

cheapnewb24 wrote on 01/07/16 at 21:46:05:
Gary_in_NJ wrote on 01/07/16 at 09:43:27:

Actually, multiviscosity oil should not change it's performance as much as a straight weight oil. Think varying temps and the purpose of multiviscosity oil. Wink

Cheap is correct, multi vis oil does not actually change viscosity
It is 5, 10, 15, or 20 weight oil that changes viscosity less than single weight to the point where, at NOT, it's as thick as 30,40,or 50 weight oil would be at NOT
the idea that multi vis oil actuallt thickens as it gets hot is an understandable, but incorrect, idea
I'd still stick with ATF

oh, NOT is normal operating temperature (for an engine) just so there's no confusion

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/08/16 at 10:24:37

cheapnewb24 wrote on 01/07/16 at 21:46:05:

If you are thinking that the installing a the 15W-40 Rotella is going to make your bike perform/handle better than the 15W Fork Oil or ATF, I believe you are mistaken.

The 15W-40 oil will always be "too thick" too allow the forks to react to the pavement surface.  And the lower the temperature drops - the thicker the oil will become and the worse the bike will handle.   You will never get the fork temperature up to the 212 degree temperature where the 40 weight rating has been established for the Rotella - so the forks will never be subject to the parameters that define a what multi-viscosity oil does.

The 15W rating does not establish that the 15W-40 will not be thicker than the 15 weight fork oil at lower temperatures - it is an apples/oranges comparison.  Both oils will thicken as they get cold, and the 15W-40 will always be thicker than the 15 weight fork oil or ATF.  

The following link will help to understand this....if you want to learn more about what the multi-viscosity rating means.

http://themotoroilevaluator.com/members-blog/understanding-multi-viscosity-oi...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 01/08/16 at 15:54:18

Both ATF and fork oil,.. are made to have consistent compression under pressure... at any temperature...

Use ATF... it's even cheaper than Rotella anyway... it's usually around 13wt... and that's real nice in forks...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #9 - 01/08/16 at 17:58:10

+1. Mine are fine with ATF in them. However, I tried ATF in another highr performance bike not long ago and it was awful. Good when the forks were cold but when they heated up the damping went away making the bike weave and wallow. Cooled down again, no problem. Apparently modern ATF foams up in forks like the older stuff didn't. I switched over to 10w fork oil and it's lovely again. For the Cabbage, ATF is fine.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 01/09/16 at 02:02:03

I'm probably the only one here who does use engine oil in forks. I grew up on springer equipped bikes, and therefor have zero tolerance for fork dive while braking. ND30 or HD30 is alright at your body weight. I switched my forks to 60w, better, but still has noticeable dive while braking. I weigh 260 in full gear.

Next test round will be 75w or 85w gear oil. After that, if I still notice dive, the forks will scrapped in favor of a springer.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #11 - 01/09/16 at 06:40:26

Springers don't have fork dive? Huh Stiffer springs with no damper, I am guessing? Wouldn't they bounce?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 01/09/16 at 07:36:17

The braking torque on the lower arm pushes the arm up and it resists the weight that transfers when you apply the brake.

And in anticipation of your next question - springers don't handle better than modern forks, and they are heavy.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 01/09/16 at 08:32:00

If you have suspension in the front,.. you will have fork dive...
It's a fact of gravity... Tongue

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 01/09/16 at 10:20:52

The epitome of a motorcycle is a UL/VL Big Twin. Factory rigid frame with well sprung seat. Factory drum brake springer fork. Flathead engine, proper generator, kick only, points ignition.

Too bad they went away in model year 1948.

That stated, the Savage/S40 platform can be built up to ride and handle like a proper motorcycle. Stiffer rear shocks. Heavier fork oil and more of it. Better tires run with the correct amount of air. I like around 40psi front and rear, which means no more 712F once the current one wears out. Narrower tires, 90/90-19 and 130/90-15 are as close to ideal as you'll find for stock rims.

You can seriously improve its running capability, but it costs cubic dump truck loads of cash. Proper 5 angle valve job. Hot cam. Overbore. Shave the head or deck the cylinder. Port match. Intake and exhaust runner clean up. Free flowing exhaust. Better flowing carburetor with a cable operated slide or preferably butterfly valve and no slide (think S&S for Harley Davidson Sportster or K Model). You are however stuck with a weak oil pump.

You can seriously improve the fit of the bike. Seat work, seat changes. Handlebar and riser swap. Grip swaps. Floorboards or forward controls.

You can seriously improve the aesthetics. 7 inch sidemounted headlight. Handlebar and risers. Seat. Tires. Fenders. Taillight. Turn signals.

It's your bike, your money, and your butt/back. Even with my lumbar surgeries, I'll take the ride/handling of a rigid/springer over an as issued modern "mush mobile" cruiser. Once my 4wd is back in service, my Savage is getting an irreversible full rigid frame conversion and a -2 springer.

Yeah, I bleed HD black and orange. Won't own one made after 1964 though.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 11:38:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rotella as fork oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.