Rotella as fork oil? (Read 1039 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Rotella as fork oil?
Reply #45 - 02/06/16 at 23:39:27

Strangely, I gave up my previous argument before I even saw your post. Got tired of adding to and tweaking it. It's late, and I'm tired of it. I'm also tired of reading that my own utterances convict me!

So, as I said in that other thread long ago, not anymore! Angry

I quit!
Goodnight!
Angry Angry Angry

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #46 - 02/08/16 at 09:25:30

I believe that an overview of dampening rod forks is in order here. From prior posts I've made on this subject (borrowed heavily from RaceTech)...

Damping rod forks are used on the LS650 for one reason and one reason only; they are inexpensive to manufacture.  The design constraints of these forks have major limitations. For example, to create compression damping, oil is shoved through an orifice. Shoving oil through an orifice creates very little resistance to flow at low vertical wheel velocities as when hitting a dip or gully or applying the front brakes. This allows the forks to shoot through the travel fairly easily, diving or bottoming in these situations. On the other hand when the wheel hits something square edge, especially at speed, it needs a lot of oil to pass through the damping holes very quickly. Unfortunately the nature of shoving oil through holes is that as the wheel velocity increases the damping force increases with the square of the velocity. In other words if you double the velocity you get four times the force. This means the hole basically "hydraulic locks" resulting in a harsh spike. Damping rods give the worst of both worlds; they are both too mushy and too harsh at the same time.

With this understanding, the only condition you can create with a change in the oil viscosity is the point at which the damping rods will hydrolock. In all other conditions you will be under dampened - regardless of viscosity.

Oh, BTW, as long as you are going to obsess over oil viscosity, here's some info that will fry your brain. The amount of oil in the forks effects the rate of compression in the final 1/3 of stroke. To compensate for the poor compression of damping rods, Suzuki over fills the forks, only allowing a 75mm air gap in oil height. This large volume of oil contributes to the poor reliability of LS650 fork seals.

So is this something that you can improve upon? Can you reduce the amount of oil in the forks without blowing through the last 1/3 of fork travel? I know the answer (and have posted on this fairly extensively) but by all means, make your damping rods better then Suzuki could. After all, what do they know?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #47 - 02/08/16 at 10:30:59

As I've only used a single viscosity in my forks (15w fork oil) I'd have to defer to Gary's comments.

But I have used 2 models of progressive rear shocks and have become incredibly spoiled.  But there is still room for improvement.

And that's where the VZ800 forks come in, inverted, air sprung, and cartridge style.  I'm still discovering the finer points of these forks, but I will say my daily rodeo on the superslab is a blast compared to stock.  The dragon is really a smooth run compared to the twisted sister rally, so it wasn't really challenged last summer, but will be this coming April.

WWW   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #48 - 02/08/16 at 15:34:32

Verslagen and Gary, thank you for your replies. Gary, I really appreciate your contribution to this discussion. You really seem to be adding something here, especially since I have been wanting to add MORE oil than spec.  Shocked. I will certainly consider adding your ideas to my suspension design ponderings.

I really got frustrated (MAD!) at some of the people here. I kinda abandoned this thread for a while because of it. They don't seem to respect me or what I have to say. They can't handle it when some newbie comes in and questions their authority and conventional wisdom. If I have to blaspheme the mythical bike gods in Valhalla, then so be it.  Grin I'm bustin' through. Cool If they are really in authority, there is no question that can shake them anyway. Cool That is what being a good leader is about. You're not a leader because you say so, but you're a leader because people find you fitting to follow. Conventional wisdom is good and all, but it only goes so far.

Here's what this discussion is worth-- No, really! Roll Eyes Here is officially what this discussion is about: what kinds of oils can one safely use in the Savage front forks in order to accomplish a certain goal in certain conditions without unreasonable risk of mechanical damage or personal harm?

What kind of McGuyver fork oils are available off the garage shelf? What ingenious make-do oils can be used in the Savage front forks without unreasonable risks and problems Now, not all of them are going to be good for all conditions, and there could be sacrifices in quality since not every aspect is designed for use in motorcycle forks. But, seriously, Huh do you actually trust manufacturers to give you something painstakingly designed for your motorcycle forks? Every single time?

Here's a wake up call to those who worship the industry and it's conventional wisdom: Fork oils vary WIDELY in their properties, at least from my perhaps shallow observation.

Look at this chart. http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycle/fork-oil.html

Some of these fork oils report rather mediocre viscosity indices, compared to ATF or good synthetic motor oil. A few have VI's no better than, or worse than regular hydraulic oil Tongue. Some of them have extraordinary numbers, though, so one can't make sweeping statements. I can say that when you try that next brand of fork oil only to find your forks stiff as a steel rod the next cold ride, you know you bought the wrong oil. Wink

Some of you are going to pooh pooh this whole discussion away and call me a young fool. Well, those fellows can find another thread to play with. Wink Angry.

Let it be known, however, that if there were a good study/ experiment (probably not something for me to do in particular) done with various oils with proper research to back it, we could throw in an index of suitable oil mixtures, complete with their strengths, weaknesses,  pros, cons, side-effects, suitable conditions, contraindications, hazards, limitations, and the like, along with relative rank so that we know which ones are best all around. There could be a use for my musings. You could throw them in the tech documents.  Smiley

I tend to be OCD about things, but I have to admit, a lot of things, while not ideal, while possibly risky in theory and statistics, oftentimes-- don't mean a thing. Tongue Since Gizzo says I can put custard in it, well, I encourage him to ride the first custard-forked Savage! Grin It might just work (for awhile, anyway Wink), and be funny too Grin.

« Last Edit: 02/08/16 at 16:54:48 by cheapnewb24 »  

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #49 - 02/08/16 at 15:53:13

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/08/16 at 09:25:30:
I believe that an overview of dampening rod forks is in order here. From prior posts I've made on this subject (borrowed heavily from RaceTech)...

Damping rod forks are used on the LS650 for one reason and one reason only; they are inexpensive to manufacture.  The design constraints of these forks have major limitations. For example, to create compression damping, oil is shoved through an orifice. Shoving oil through an orifice creates very little resistance to flow at low vertical wheel velocities as when hitting a dip or gully or applying the front brakes. This allows the forks to shoot through the travel fairly easily, diving or bottoming in these situations. On the other hand when the wheel hits something square edge, especially at speed, it needs a lot of oil to pass through the damping holes very quickly. Unfortunately the nature of shoving oil through holes is that as the wheel velocity increases the damping force increases with the square of the velocity. In other words if you double the velocity you get four times the force. This means the hole basically "hydraulic locks" resulting in a harsh spike. Damping rods give the worst of both worlds; they are both too mushy and too harsh at the same time.

With this understanding, the only condition you can create with a change in the oil viscosity is the point at which the damping rods will hydrolock. In all other conditions you will be under dampened - regardless of viscosity.

Oh, BTW, as long as you are going to obsess over oil viscosity, here's some info that will fry your brain. The amount of oil in the forks effects the rate of compression in the final 1/3 of stroke. To compensate for the poor compression of damping rods, Suzuki over fills the forks, only allowing a 75mm air gap in oil height. This large volume of oil contributes to the poor reliability of LS650 fork seals.

So is this something that you can improve upon? Can you reduce the amount of oil in the forks without blowing through the last 1/3 of fork travel? I know the answer (and have posted on this fairly extensively) but by all means, make your damping rods better then Suzuki could. After all, what do they know?

Since reviewing the wiki on motorcycle suspension some time ago, (weeks) I learned that the conventional way of getting around this pressure spike/soft suspension is to use some sort of spring valve system with reeds or shims of some sort (kinda being vague here, correct me if I sound like an idiot) which allows for the oil passageways to rapidly enlarge in the event of a pressure spike that results from a high velocity bump. Modern bikes often have this sort of thing. Our Savage does not.

And, yeah, what does Suzuki know? Wink Do the engineers really get what they want, or are they at the mercy of marketers and other know-not-care-nots? I recall hearing/reading something about a time to "kill off" or "shoot" the engineer-- you know-- when the engineer can't stop tweaking the product, but the marketer feels like he has to defy the engineer and dump the product onto the public? The marketer shoots the engineer, or something like that. Grin Well, I guess those Japanese would be more careful to introduce a quality product than Americans would. You know how they are about honor. Lips Sealed cough: hara-kuri :cough. Meh, who knows?

So is this something that you can improve upon? Can you reduce the amount of oil in the forks without blowing through the last 1/3 of fork travel? I'll think about it, so don't spoil the answer! Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 02/08/16 at 22:08:48

cheapnewb24 wrote on 02/08/16 at 15:53:13:
Since reviewing the wiki on motorcycle suspension some time ago, (weeks) I learned that the conventional way of getting around this pressure spike/soft suspension is to use some sort of spring valve system with reeds or shims of some sort (kinda being vague here, correct me if I sound like an idiot) which allows for the oil passageways to rapidly enlarge in the event of a pressure spike that results from a high velocity bump. Modern bikes often have this sort of thing. Our Savage does not.

if you want to invest $199 for Gold Valve Emulators and another $125 for linear rate springs (plus shipping cost)- and spend some time fiddling with the settings, you might be able to improve on the ride quality of the forks and improve the handling a bit.  You have to change the springs with the emulators, as the valve mechanism does not work properly with the stock progressive wound springs.

http://www.racetech.com/page/title/Emulators

So....if you spend about $300 and some time fiddling with the valve settings and spring pre-load - you can make the forks a bit more modern, and maybe feel the difference. (I installed them last year in my bike....and so far I haven't noticed much of a difference.....I guess I need to do more fiddling with the settings)

And since you want to spend money on the forks...might was well buy some adjustable forks caps for $ 90, and a $ 165 fork brace....that way you can spend about $ 550 in an effort to make the forks work a little better! Wink

JQAAOSwRLZT9kJ4&vxp=mtr" target="_blank">http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZR400-FZR600-others-Billet-CNC-Fork-Caps-with-Adjustable-Preload-/121884455697?hash=item1c60e13311:gCheesyJQAAOSwRLZT9kJ4&vxp=mtr

http://superbrace.com/shop/3335-suzuki-savage-ls-650/

Or....you can spend less than $ 20 and get some fresh fork oil (or ATF) in those aged forks..... and get a decent handling bike that will most likely meet your riding needs.

« Last Edit: 02/09/16 at 05:03:55 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #51 - 02/09/16 at 09:15:05

Looks yummy Cheesy

One thing that came to mind would be adding a spring loaded orifice or something. I wonder if the cartridge emulator is worth its cost. Why not invent something cheaper? Hint, Hint, an easy mod Wink As far as adjustable preload is concerned, don't people use pvc spacers or something? Is that safe?

And why can't we use forks from something else that is already modern and adjustable?

I'm still thinking about Gary's question, so don't spoil it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #52 - 02/09/16 at 09:32:05

The emulator is a spring loaded valve.....the oil goes through tiny holes for normal riding, and then opens the spring loaded valve on bigger bumps.  The valve is adjustable and there are several different springs you can use....and the small holes can be modified to change the dampening characteristics on the small bumps - there is a lot of adjustment available.

Why do you feel that companies can design, do product development, buy materials, pay for labor/tools/equipment/insurance, manufacture and market things for pennies?  It required a lot of time and money for this company to develop their products, and they need to get that money back if they want to stay in business.  If you want somebody to make a cheap version that may or may not be an improvement - you might as well just use the stock damping rods and 15W fork oil or ATF (that works really well for 99.782% of the folks who own a Savage).

Is it worth it?  Not if you are still running that 8 year old, evil rear tire.

RACE_TECH_GOLD_VALVE_CARTRIDGE_FORK_EMULATORS-900371927.jpg

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #53 - 02/09/16 at 10:12:49

cheapnewb24 wrote on 02/09/16 at 09:15:05:
And why can't we use forks from something else that is already modern and adjustable?

You're gonna have to pay upwards from $250 for a front end off a donor bike.  And there's at least one full pictorial here.  From a cost, skill, talent perspective... I don't think that's a solution for you.

WWW   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #54 - 02/09/16 at 10:44:15

Dave wrote on 02/09/16 at 09:32:05:
The emulator is a spring loaded valve.....the oil goes through tiny holes for normal riding, and then opens the spring loaded valve on bigger bumps.   Yes.... Did you assume I didn't understand that?

The valve is adjustable and there are several different springs you can use....and the small holes can be modified to change the dampening characteristics on the small bumps - there is a lot of adjustment available.

Nice... I was aware of some adjust-ability, but you suggest there is even more.

Why do you feel that companies can design, do product development, buy materials, pay for labor/tools/equipment/insurance, manufacture and market things for pennies?  It required a lot of time and money for this company to develop their products, and they need to get that money back if they want to stay in business.

'Cause I get a kick out of making a good deal, and when the numbers don't suit my liking for what I get, I don't like it so well Tongue

Tell me, why should I pay over $100 each for a little spring-loaded valve, especially when I need two of them? Seriously, no one else has made something like this? Shouldn't, say, $50 be enough? Do people with damper rods really need race quality products with race quality prices? Do these things need to be engineered and produced with such difficulty? Or are they just taking advantage of people? Is it one of those "You really want it, you really need it, there's nothing else available, and so you'll pay a bundle for it" kind of deals?

If you want somebody to make a cheap version that may or may not be an improvement - you might as well just use the stock damping rods and 15W fork oil or ATF (that works really well for 99.782% of the folks who own a Savage).

Is it so hard to make a spring-loaded valve?  Grin OCD engineering and race tuning aside, wouldn't people get the greatest benefit from something rather simple?

Is it worth it?  Not if you are still running that 8 year old, evil rear tire.

Gotta point there.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #55 - 02/09/16 at 10:48:34

cheapnewb24 wrote on 02/09/16 at 09:15:05:
As far as adjustable preload is concerned, don't people use pvc spacers or something? Is that safe?

people replace the existing spacers with pvc tubing... cut to length, not adjustable.
so if you want adjustable with this method, are you talking about adding washers?
This has been done as well and you should note that adding more preload than stock adds to the difficulty in getting the caps back on which is hard enough.

take a look at gary's fork thread in the tech section for replacement caps with preload adjustment.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #56 - 02/09/16 at 11:54:52

cheapnewb24 wrote on 02/09/16 at 10:44:15:
Tell me, why should I pay over $100 each for a little spring-loaded valve, especially when I need two of them?  Shouldn't, say, $50 be enough?

If you ever own and try to run a business, keep employees paid, provide their benefits, have a warm place for them to work and a place to park their car, staples, paper clips, phone, internet, computers, software licenses, lights, paper, accounting, insurance, and then pay the Federal/State/County/City Taxes for the pleasure of doing this....you will begin to understand what it takes to pay the bills and keep the lights on.  This is not a hobby for these folks - they need to make some money doing it.

If this was a product sold by the millions - they might be able to get the cost down by gearing up for mass production.  However the market for these parts is small, they have to be made in a lot of different sizes and models to fit a myriad of different bikes......and it is expensive to make parts in small batches.

« Last Edit: 02/09/16 at 13:27:45 by Dave »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #57 - 02/09/16 at 12:05:17

cheapnewb24 wrote on 02/09/16 at 10:44:15:
Tell me, why should I pay over $100 each for a little spring-loaded valve, especially when I need two of them? Seriously, no one else has made something like this? Shouldn't, say, $50 be enough? Do people with damper rods really need race quality products with race quality prices? Do these things need to be engineered and produced with such difficulty? Or are they just taking advantage of people? Is it one of those "You really want it, you really need it, there's nothing else available, and so you'll pay a bundle for it" kind of deals?

I find this insulting.
I make a gadget and I sell it for a price.  Anybody with skills and access to the equipment can make it themselves.
Some people have said I should do it for a lot less, yet those people don't.
Simple, do what I do for a lot less, put me out of business.  I've seen a lot of one off's that look great, some carp too.
But no one will go any further than that.

So, you want someone to hand you the solution, figure out the mod for you and you do it for cheap.
Well, someone did, you got pictures of it, go make it.  With $10 of materials and some tools you should be able to get pretty close.  Should only take you a month of sundays.  We'll expect full documentation or you can open a store and sell'em for $50 each.

WWW   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #58 - 02/09/16 at 13:43:53

Oh, Wow, now I've even made Verslagen mad. Sad Can't even speak my mind around here without stepping on everyone's toes, can I?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 02/09/16 at 13:54:53

cheapnewb24 wrote on 02/09/16 at 13:43:53:
Oh, Wow, now I've even made Verslagen mad. Sad Can't even speak my mind around here without stepping on everyone's toes, can I?

No, I think you need to do some work before getting butthurt about every comment.

Have you tried any of the oils you've suggested?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:27:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rotella as fork oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.