Rotella as fork oil? (Read 1039 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Rotella as fork oil?
Reply #15 - 01/09/16 at 17:39:13

Why 1964? Do tell me more about your preference for old, hardtail springer bikes. You seem to have a lot of interesting ideas to share. Huh

Now you've got my attention. Wink

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 01/09/16 at 21:44:13

Last year for the anvil reliable kick only 6v ignition system.

Keep a springer greased and it never wears out. And has no more than 3/16" of give under hard braking. Nearly instant brake response, grab a handful and it applies the brake. No time or energy loss due to a hard weight shift.

Rigids do not squirm in turns or pitch-yaw-buck with age and miles. I can feel every bit of slop in a dual shock cruiser chassis, and I do not like it. Even brand new shock bushings have too much give in them. Your bike is either holding the lane like it is on rails or you are in the ditch. No middle ground. You had best know what you are doing riding a rigid framed motorcycle. I have well over 500k miles on them.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 01/10/16 at 07:33:54

That makes a certain sense, one day i may have to try actually riding a rigid myself

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #18 - 01/19/16 at 20:46:39

By the way, assuming stock rear shocks, will the forks benefit from stiffer springs? I'll be disassembling the forks anyway in order to add the boots. On the other hand, will it cause a suspension imbalance? Will using thicker fork oil cause an imbalance? I just thought about it, and it hit me-- WD is riding hardtail, right? That would make stiffer forks work better for him. However, I have the stock shocks. Front too stiff and rear too soft or vice versa can cause problems. Wouldn't thick fork oil cause rebound to be too slow too? Undecided

Will it work best with rears at their stiffest and regular Dextron in the forks-- or does thicker oil help?  Undecided

Has anyone here tinkered with their Savage suspension enough to know?

Do I just have to experiment? That might be fun. Smiley

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #19 - 01/20/16 at 06:22:42

Good questions. Choosing fork oil and spring rates is both art and science. Damping Rod forks have significant limitations. From Race Tech's website:

"Damping rods while inexpensive to manufacture have major limitations. To create compression damping, oil is shoved through a hole or holes. Shoving oil through holes creates very little resistance to flow at low vertical wheel velocities as when hitting a dip or gully or applying the front brakes. This allows the forks to shoot through the travel fairly easily, diving or bottoming in these situations. On the other hand when the wheel hits something square edge, especially at speed, it needs a lot of oil to pass through the damping holes very quickly. Unfortunately the nature of shoving oil through holes is that as the wheel velocity increases the damping force increases with the square of the velocity. In other words if you double the velocity you get four times the force. This means the hole basically "hydraulic locks" resulting in a harsh spike. Damping rods give the worst of both worlds; they are both too mushy and too harsh at the same time."

What is the condition that you are trying to "improve" with thicker fork oil? One thing is for sure, the suspension will become harsher on sharp-edged bumps. If you are committed to thicker (heavier) oil, you might consider reworking the compression holes in the Damping Rod to keep the forks from hydrolocking.

Regarding spring rates, are you looking for progressively wound springs or straight rates? Since Damping Rod forks don't have any rate-based valving, they sometimes use progressive rate springs to compensate for the lack of rate reaction. But progressive rate spring react in undesirable and sometimes unpredictable ways. For example under braking they can produce significant initial dive, followed by harshness. Straight rate springs must be carefully chosen to find the sweet spot between ride and handling.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #20 - 01/20/16 at 09:36:34

Here's an interesting question....

Is it better regarding safety and performance (not comfort) to have the suspension too stiff or too soft? Will hitting a high speed bump with a stiff (thick oil) front be worse than hitting it with a mushy front (thin oil)? Is there a fine goldilocks zone for safety here or can I just add thicker oil until my kidneys fall off. Grin Again, I'll probably have to experiment. There's probably a very good reason that front suspension was standard procedure before rear suspension. Those forks need to give don't they? Don't want to go flying over the handlebars at 60 mph just because I hit a little pothole. Tongue Roll Eyes.

I've listened to a video on suspension tuning which considered getting rid of bounciness. WD likes springers. How on earth do those things not bounce all over the place and not cause real problems?

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 01/20/16 at 10:06:24

Springers have dampers built in
on the earliest models, they were friction dampers, and later units used hydraulic ones
The magic is in the geometry, not a lack of damping ability
as to suspension stiffness vs compliance, there's a magic spot there
too soft and you wallow around like you're riding an over ripe tomato
too stiff and your tire 'skips' over road imperfections
Like I said in another thread, race bike teams will spend $1000s to save a single lb, suspension is heavy
There are no hardtail GP bikes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 01/20/16 at 10:41:22

cheapnewb24 wrote on 01/20/16 at 09:36:34:
Is it better regarding safety and performance (not comfort) to have the suspension too stiff or too soft? Will hitting a high speed bump with a stiff (thick oil) front be worse than hitting it with a mushy front (thin oil)?[/b]

You choose......either one can cause you to lose control and get you hurt.

The stock forks, with 15 wt. Fork Oil or ATF will provide suspension performance that is well within your riding ability (in fact the best Savage riders on the planet are most likely using the factory springs and recommended fork oil or ATF).  Heavier springs and/or thicker oil will not make the bike better......I am not sure why you feel that you can make the bike better by putting thick motor oil in the forks?

7 out of 8 Dragon riders use the stock springs and fork oil.
(I am not sure what Steve uses in his Harley forks - but I suspect it isn't Rotella.  I have never seen anybody hustle a full size Harley through the corners like he can.)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 01/20/16 at 11:31:44

Make that 6 outta 8,
while I use air springs and oil, it's from a different bike, so not stock.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 01/20/16 at 11:41:54

verslagen1 wrote on 01/20/16 at 11:31:44:
Make that 6 outta 8,
while I use air springs and oil, it's from a different bike, so not stock.

I forgot that you had changed the forks on your bike.
(Get ready to respond to that potential change).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #25 - 01/20/16 at 12:10:44

Like I asked in my post above, what are you trying to accomplish with the suspension changes? If you can provide specific things that you'd like to change, along with your weight and bike modifications, we might be able to suggest incremental changes.

Just going to a 15-40 wt oil is a rather unscientific approach. My guess is that you wont like the effect.

cheapnewb24 wrote on 01/20/16 at 09:36:34:
Here's an interesting question....

Is it better regarding safety and performance (not comfort) to have the suspension too stiff or too soft? Will hitting a high speed bump with a stiff (thick oil) front be worse than hitting it with a mushy front (thin oil)? Is there a fine goldilocks zone for safety here or can I just add thicker oil until my kidneys fall off. Grin Again, I'll probably have to experiment. There's probably a very good reason that front suspension was standard procedure before rear suspension. Those forks need to give don't they? Don't want to go flying over the handlebars at 60 mph just because I hit a little pothole. Tongue Roll Eyes.

I've listened to a video on suspension tuning which considered getting rid of bounciness. WD likes springers. How on earth do those things not bounce all over the place and not cause real problems?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #26 - 01/21/16 at 11:27:21

By the way, I am getting ready to buy fork seals and boots. Any recommendations on brands? The Daystar 58 mm boots seem to be popular here.

How about seal brands? Some are cheap Chinese seals. K&L makes some. Then there are some that claim to have less stiction than the others. Some seals are even pink. Grin

Do I need anything besides seals? I haven't tried the pop bottle trick. I'll have to disassemble the forks to install the boots, so I may end up replacing them while I'm at it.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #27 - 01/21/16 at 13:31:29

cheapnewb24 wrote on 01/21/16 at 11:27:21:
Do I need anything besides seals?

I'm not sure if you have the tool to get to the bottom of the forks.  Look over the threads in the tech section.  I made the one where I combined 2 long bolts and used jb weld.  You'll also need some pvc to push the new seals in place, that is in the thread as well.  It wasn't to bad, if I can do it anyone can.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #28 - 01/23/16 at 11:51:38

Welll....

In the wee hours of the morning, I finally bought my fork seal kit, (All Balls 56-166), complete with all four seals for a little over 18 bucks shipped. I also bought some Daystar series 83 fork boots for about 16 bucks shipped. The word is that the 58 series is too big for the Savage. Hutch, in particular, talked about this years ago. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1127425885/15 I haven't asked the manufacturer, though. I'll just have to see for myself. Wink

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #29 - 01/24/16 at 13:56:12

My 2003 has 12.5" Progressive rear shocks. Set as stiff as they can get, and I routinely bottom them out. Very distinct sound and feel, readily noticed. Have bottomed out hard enough to scrape the emissions canister mount on the road surface.

A springer fork is a whole different world versus glide forks. Throttle knowledge and control are critical to safe handling. Tire pressure front and rear literally make or break a rigid frame and its handling characteristics. You have to know your machine stem to stern and pay attention. Modern bikes are get on and go. Traditional bikes require bolt checks, tire checks and tire alignment checks pretty much before every ride.

As soon as I can swing it my spare frame will get a rigid conversion. I need to swap from torsion bar IFS to a real axle and leaf springs under my K1500 first.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rotella as fork oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.