Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine trouble after warm up (Read 335 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Engine trouble after warm up
Reply #15 - 02/20/16 at 10:07:06

4putt wrote on 01/11/16 at 09:25:33:
Other things I noticed were: existing battery is 3 yrs old (Big Crank, not a name brand).  Spark plug shows running rich. Probably why it starts right up when cold. May remove another ring from my Supertrapp.

removing a ring will make it richer.
add rings to lean it out.

WWW   IP Logged
4putt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/21/16 at 08:55:19

Thx for that Verslagen. I thought removing one would make more flow. But as you pointed out. It's opposite of my thinking.

Good thing is. I did find more of those discs searching for the old jets.

Any help on finding a jet source?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 02/21/16 at 09:25:13

May remove another ring from my Supertrapp.

I'm thinking I might add a couple, open it up, breathing better.

I hope you got the High Temperature Anti Sieze. Mine became impossible to mess with.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
4putt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/04/16 at 05:11:52

Update. Does appear to have been the carb. I was able to get another stock pilot jet. Ran it yesterday for over 10 mins on the stand and no engine miss. Will try to find time to put the wheels on the ground today and ride around. If this is it, I'm guessing the richness at idle eventually made for poor plug function. Hitting the throttle then burned it off. ????

Haven't ventured to adding any discs to the Supertrapp yet. I like to do one thing at a time. Was able to loosen all the screws though and did get some anti seize to add anyway.

All looking good now. Thx for all the suggestions.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 03/04/16 at 05:42:58

4putt wrote on 03/04/16 at 05:11:52:
Ran it yesterday for over 10 mins on the stand and no engine miss. Will try to find time to put the wheels on the ground today and ride around.

I hate to sound like a broke record - but this time of year a lot of folks seem to be starting their bikes up and running them - without riding them.  The bike makes very little oil pressure at idle speeds.....especially when the bike is cold and the idle speed is lower than when the bike is warmed up.  Also the cam doesn't seem to get enough oil to the exhaust side cam lobe or rocker - which is uphill when the engine is on the side stand.

It is not recommended that you start your bike and let it idle on the side stand....you are potentially doing more harm than good.  If you can't ride the bike in the winter, drain the fuel from the carb, and put the battery on a tender once a month, and wait for spring to come when you can go for a ride.

Here is a link to a discussion...this bike only had 3,800 miles on it and the exhaust lobe on the cam and rocker were badly worn form idling on the side stand.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1447331708

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
4putt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/04/16 at 10:28:12

Thx for the warning Dave. I do have it on a level bike stand though, not the side stand.

IP Logged
oldskoolsoldier
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/06/16 at 22:32:00

I've been having the same issues. My bike will start up cold just fine. I can only run it about a mile before it starts dying without gas. About another half mile later and I can't get it started again.
I just replaced the petcock because it had been leaking gas. I thought that would solve the problem, but it's still acting up.
Where do you think I should start looking for an answer? I really don't want to take the carbs apart, but it looks like that may be what I need to do. Any suggestions?

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #22 - 03/06/16 at 23:00:48

Old  Skool,

Check that the gas cap is venting properly.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:24:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine trouble after warm up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.