Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine trouble after warm up (Read 335 times)
4putt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine trouble after warm up
01/04/16 at 15:10:14

My engine has been running great for the past 3 yrs. Always drive it a couple of miles on good days. Lately it has been giving me fits....

It starts cold immediately. Runs and idles fine at first. As soon as it has warmed up a bit, maybe 3-5 minutes, it's trouble. Seems to start missing. Not the steady firing sound. If I open up the throttle it gets better. This pattern continues with more throttle required to run smooth. Eventually it gets worse and eventually dies. Once it dies, it won't start.  If I let it sit over night to cool down, it starts immediately. After 3-5 mins we're back to the same trouble.  

I have:  overhauled the carb (bath),and checked the valve clearances.

I'm pretty much stumped presently. Never had an engine act like this. Could a coil act up like this or some other electrical element? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mods include: Supertrapp muffler, rejetting, chain drive, bigger seat.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Engine trouble after warm up
Reply #1 - 01/04/16 at 15:26:19

4putt wrote on 01/04/16 at 15:10:14:
My engine has been running great for the past 3 yrs. Always drive it a couple of miles on good days. Lately it has been giving me fits....  

what does this mean?  5 miles across town? 25 miles at a loping pace? 50 miles ripping down the superslab?

5 miles daily across town and your battery is dead.

what jets have you fitted?

WWW   IP Logged
4putt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/04/16 at 16:04:28

Well actually down and back to the mailbox about 2 miles. Since the act up I don't do much more. Don't want to get stranded. Battery seems fine. When cold it starts right up.

Forgot to mention it's an '03 Savage. Don't remember the jet upgrade. I bought them from one of the members here maybe from the Carolinas. That was 3-5 yrs ago at least. It has run great since.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/04/16 at 18:11:54

If that's all you do, then you need a trickle charger to keep it up.
It may even be down enough to cause your problem.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/04/16 at 18:19:44

Battery seems fine. When cold it starts right up.

I understand that that's how you feel about it. I see why. I also know these guys and these bikes. Based on your description of how much you ride and the difficult to diagnose problems a marginally charged battery can cause, suggest you go with the advice.
The petcock can do bizarre things, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
4putt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/04/16 at 19:37:33

I'll put a charge on it tonight.
It'll be great, if that is all it is. Thx.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 01/04/16 at 22:25:44

After you've done that and if it makes no difference, see if someone can loan you their ignition box. Those can break down as they heat up and quit working intermittently. No idea whether any Savage owners have had ths one, just throwing it out there.

Check the fuel cap is venting air. A blocked vent and vacuum in the fuel tank might be to blame too. Pull off the fuel line to the carb, put the tap on prime and let the fuel run out. Should hear the cap whistling as the fuel pours out.

Hope it's an easy fix.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/05/16 at 03:55:22

Do you still have the stock vacuum operated petcock?  This sounds like the symptoms that result when the diaphragm starts leaking fuel into the vacuum line.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
4putt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/11/16 at 09:25:33

Thanks for all the suggestions. Am waiting for a new battery to arrive. Should be this week.  I did charge up my battery and ran some tests again. One thing I forgot to try was removing the gas cap to eliminate a plugged tank vent. When I remembered about it, I realized I couldn't remove the cap with the key in the ignition.

Did pull the petcock vacuum hose off when it started acting up. I plugged it with my thumb and didn't see any change.

Had a voltmeter across battery terminals to see if any change.  13.4 volts showed while running when I first started it.  Once it started acting up it had dropped some, but still at 12.2 V.

Other things I noticed were: existing battery is 3 yrs old (Big Crank, not a name brand).  Spark plug shows running rich. Probably why it starts right up when cold. May remove another ring from my Supertrapp. .

Rectifier is around $200. Hope it's not that. Only have 3500 miles on it.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thx again Verslagen1, Justin_O_guy2, Gizzo, & Dave.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/11/16 at 10:40:34

4putt wrote on 01/11/16 at 09:25:33:
Did pull the petcock vacuum hose off when it started acting up. I plugged it with my thumb and didn't see any change. .

That is not sufficient to rule out the petcock being a potential problem.  You need to do the entire test.....link listed below.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
4putt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/25/16 at 09:22:46

Finally got back to my bike.

Installed a new Yuasa battery. Ran without the gas cap to eliminate a plugged tank vent. Same results.

I have been reading other posts. Deltaplanet used the term "loping" when describing his engine idle problems. That describes mine pretty well.

I was wondering about the chain tensioner I've seen that mentioned plenty. Thought of that because when the "loping" starts it reminds me of a friend's car that had a racing cam. Its idle sounded similar. I still have the stock tensioner. Any chance that could be involved?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 01/25/16 at 10:48:54

Have you definitely ruled out the OEM petcock as the source the problem, as Dave suggested ?  If not I'd go there first. The cam chain tensioner ( it's actually the adjuster that is a problem on these bike) is the least likely of the things mentioned to be causing your problem. Least as in pretty close to zero chance that it's got anything to do with it.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 01/25/16 at 11:50:50

Are you saying the engine lopes as in runs fine one second, stumbles the next, rinse, repeat? Sounds like a carb issue to me.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #13 - 01/25/16 at 17:00:15

I had a problem similar to this where it would run ok then start missing for a while then give up, after cooling down for a few hours it would start up again and do the same thing and it was the pickup coil which after heating up started misbehaving - I'm not saying this is your problem and there are a few easier things to check out first (fuel as in petcock,carb etc )  just keep it in mind if you run out of ideas.

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
4putt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/20/16 at 08:51:13

Thx for all the suggestions. Just to update.....

Have taken the petcock out of play, I believe. Haven't run out 2 tank fulls of gas though. I feel much like a fool riding around on a bike with engine issues.  I run the petcock on Prime and plug the vacuum line to the carb. Then added another line to the carb and plugged it.

Was able to find a pick up coil for cheap and eliminated that.
The float valve arrived and replaced it. That actually gave me some encouragement. It took a lot longer to act up, but did.

I know I'm running rich. No matter how cold it is. It fires right up without choking. That tells me rich at idle. Plus the plug (which I also replaced) shows rich .

My main jet is 150. The pilot jet is a 55. Stock spacers. I'd like to try something less for the pilot. I found out the stock one (which has vanished after two housing moves) was 52.5. I'd like to try going smaller than 55.

Would also like a source for jets besides my dealer. Any help there would be appreciated.

The weather is incredible here for February. I'm looking forward to tasting bugs. Thx

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:27:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine trouble after warm up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.