Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Microsoft Apologizes for Windows 10 (Read 832 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Microsoft Apologizes for Windows 10
Reply #30 - 12/23/15 at 17:23:59

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3018001/consumer-electronics/how-to-fix-micros...

How to fix Microsoft's latest update blunder:  latest MS update nuked all the MS Office templates everywhere

Microsoft's endless Blunder-gate continues afresh as of yesterday early AM when Microsoft pushed out yet another problematic update, and it erased all of the secretary user's customization made to the 'normal' template in Word 2016 and all of the earlier versions as well.

This is a key feature that is used to set up every official business letterhead and official government format used across America.

"It’s bad enough that Microsoft is so pushy about getting users to upgrade their PCs to Windows 10. These software updates don’t always go as planned, and Microsoft this week released another update that’s wreaking havoc on some versions of Microsoft Word.

If you use Word 2016, the latest version of Microsoft’s word processing app, and install the company’s most recent Windows 10 patch, the update wipes out your “normal” template. That little file, named normal.dotm, is important because it contains all of your macros, autotext blocks, autocorrect entries, styles and more customization options. If that normal.dotm file gets nuked, all of your tweaks and customizations are erased, and you need to recreate them, which is a major pain for folks who use heavily customized templates. Word still works, but the software reverts to its default settings.

Microsoft offers recovery option, but no official fix
A Microsoft engineer who monitors the official Office 2016 user forum confirmed the problem and suggested a solution. The good news is you can recover your customizations. However, it’s a fairly complex process. I won’t detail the steps here, but if you hit the link above you’ll find more information on the recovery.

“This was not an intentional change and we (the Word product team) are working to understand both the cause as well as what steps customers can take to either avoid or recover from this,” the Microsoft employee wrote. As of Tuesday evening, no official fix for the update has been released.

Windows 10 often automatically updates itself when Microsoft pushes out patches. To date, the company released one very large update, and a series of smaller patches. The latest patch, called “Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3124200,” renames the Normal.dotm template, which causes the problem when users restart Word, according to Microsoft.

I’ve seen a few reports that indicated older versions of Word are also affected by the upgrade glitch, but so far Microsoft only confirmed the problem with Word 2016.

If you use any version of Word on a Windows 10 PC, I suggest making a backup of your normal.dotm template before you install any new Windows software updates. You can find your template by navigating to Start > Run, and then pasting %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates into the entry field. Next click OK, and you’ll see the templates.

If you update Windows 10 and it renames your normal template file, replace it with the backup, and you’ll be back in business."

Now, why is this "suggested fix" complete and total BS?    First, you never know when or where the Windows 10 fruckups are going to strike.   Second, no secretary is at work right now on Christmas Eve, so even if you could magically warn them all tWindows 10 Windows 10 he update gremlin would still have wiped their machine out before they could get back to save it.

Second, who saves their Normal.dotm template routinely anyway?  

Get real, MS, you just pissed off the big boss's personal secretary and all the sub-secretaries right on down the food chain, and be sure she will share that ire with all her peers and her bosses lieutenants secretaries all down the food chain to IT's secretaries who are right now telling the IT boys to go get the backup tapes ASAP for every secretary in the company so they can their stuff back together so they can print their bosses stuff on time.  

Or it's the IT boy's arse that will get reamed.

MICROSOFT,  YOUR WIN 10 SOFTWARE UPDATE SYSTEM IS COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE AND IS CREATING TOTALLY BUGGY BULLSHITE DISASTERS and believe me secretaries know what to do with stuff they cannot trust from one day to the next.   So do the IT boys.

Hey MS, you just put one into your own foot, you killed your own Office software.  

Or was it "an unauthorized incompatible software" that had to be deleted for security reasons?

Grin

Oh, that excuse doesn't work for Word and the rest of Office, now does it?

Grin

« Last Edit: 12/24/15 at 06:05:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #31 - 12/23/15 at 18:32:57

Wow.  It's hard to believe that MS can no longer put out an update that doesn't seriously mess up stuff. That Office update gaff could make half of business/corporate users really mad. If they decide to move to something else, MS is toast.

Of course, Apple with their recent IOS updates aren't doing much better.

I can't believe this stuff isn't caught before release. It reveals two things:
1) QA is severely lacking in software development.
2) Software is getting so complicated that it can't be fully tested and developers can no longer keep track of all the pieces. Feature creep can kill the best software.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #32 - 12/23/15 at 19:42:36

oooh... she's pretty Grin Maybe not so much when she's mad...

!!! Now what was this thread about? Oh yeah...Microslop sucks, is a modern rendition of Genghis Khan, and wants to turn us all into the Borg so everyone should switch to Linux.  Grin

Yeah, I'm a stinker, ain't I?  Grin

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 12/23/15 at 19:45:45

Cheesy     Yep, this is so  ---  the big boss doesn't have an ugly secretary.   Nor one with bad teeth, either.
And she's got some teeths on her too (really really great teeths).     Roll Eyes

And what's really bad is I can make a right decent ongoing case for all of it about MS, too.

When I said Borg activity, they looked -- and what did they find?     (a hidden Borg partition on their Win7 machine with over 5 gig of Borg in it)

So far everything I predicted has happened.

Shocked

What do you think will happen next?

« Last Edit: 12/23/15 at 21:01:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #34 - 12/23/15 at 20:02:17

I just found an article states that the template bug is an Office update, not Windows 10. It accuses Infoworld of not verifying user group reports before blasting MS about it.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-accused-of-releasing-worst-patch-yet-f...

However, the underlying issue is still-- How can MS release updates with these kind of bugs in them. If I was an Office customer, especially for business, I would still be burning mad.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 12/23/15 at 20:11:48

Ed Bot got an emergency phone call from his masters .... "Defend us, oh Bottish One !!! 
It wasn't a Win 10 upgrade, it was ...... something else !!!"

Let's see what the rest of the reports have to say .....

I am curious as to the Official Story and how they spin this ugly fruckup into something semi-benign and "almost understandable".

« Last Edit: 12/23/15 at 21:29:16 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #36 - 12/23/15 at 21:26:51

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/23/15 at 19:45:45:

Cheesy     Yep, this is so  ---  the big boss doesn't have an ugly secretary.   Nor one with bad teeth, either.
And she's got some teeths on her too (really really great teeths).     Roll Eyes

And what's really bad is I can make a right decent ongoing case for all of it about MS, too.

When I said Borg activity, they looked -- and what did they find?     (a hidden Borg partition on their Win7 machine with over 5 gig of Borg in it)

So far everything I predicted has happened.

Shocked

What do you think will happen next?

Nibiru will swing by, and the Aliens will take us away.  Grin

Cheesy

Microsoft is a behemoth, and since the PC world has been dependent upon the Windows platform a bit like a child to its mother's milk.(actually, more like the connection of a baby to its mother's breast --Neh! More like an umbilical cord! ) The weaning will take a while, but it seems possible, given the increase in alternative platforms, particularly in the mobile sector.

There's still a fat chance that MS will come out on top of this. It takes alot to stop a freight train. Windows 7 is their major hold out amongst PC users. If they lose this, they'll be in trouble. Linux is still a minor competitor amongst the OS's. It always has been this way. Could it change? Possibly, but Linux has never accomplished this before in modern computing, at least with PC's, anyway.

So, the question is this? How long could the Microsoft empire really last?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 12/23/15 at 21:36:57

If they keep frickin' up at this horendous rate, not forever.

The frisson over MS Win 10 and MS's upcoming monitization of the same will create armed camps of journalists throwing mud at each other .....  

Microsoft could defuse this by not writing any more headlines for themselves --- i.e. tell their troops "NO MORE Screw-ups or it is your ARSE out the door."

Next time MS has to apologize over some stupid thing they did a programming manager's arse should get its head chopped off.

Since the programming managers are now totally responsible for QC on their on area's work, this seems appropriate to me.

MS HAS no overall QA function any more, they let them all go a year ago with this cost and time saving procedural change-up.

Wink

In that same time frame Ford can tell you who writes good reliable software and who they fired for fricking up repeatedly.

And MS just announced they are going to increase the rate of release at the cost of more and bigger bugs getting out to the public.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/63067/microsoft-to-speed-up-relea...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #38 - 12/23/15 at 21:54:22

By the way, Oldfeller, was your former occupation in any way related to computer science? Just curious Wink Seems like you talk about it a lot.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 12/23/15 at 22:00:52

Microsoft is a behemoth,

Ok, you got me curious.

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/chart-amazons-headcount-continues-meteoric-rise-...

Other more current sources say MS's current number just dipped below 100,000 "equivalent employees" as they have just cut loose a bunch of contract programmers just recently and are reassigning the permanent employees to take over the current tasks.

Hmmmmm ..... wonder how much of this "people churn" reflects in the current chaos level at MS?

One also has to note that Google does a relatively better job with nearly half the head count .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #40 - 12/23/15 at 22:05:15

Well, Wikipedia shows that only 1.5% of web browsing is done by Linux, whereas Windows 7 alone takes over 49%. That must mean something.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #41 - 12/23/15 at 22:07:28

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/23/15 at 22:00:52:

Microsoft is a behemoth,

Ok, you got me curious.

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/chart-amazons-headcount-continues-meteoric-rise-...

http://www.geekwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Screen-Shot-2015-04-23-at-...

Other more current sources say MS's current number just dipped below 100,000 "equivalent employees" as they have just cut loose a bunch of contract programmers just recently and are reassigning the permanent employees to take over the current tasks.

Hmmmmm ..... wonder how much of this "people churn" reflects in the current chaos level at MS?

One also has to note that Google does a relatively better job with nearly half the head count .....

Hmmm.... Interesting

Maybe MS is not doing too well as a company. However, that does not suddenly cause them to lose their death grip on the PC world. Too many people are used to using it. They don't know of much else, and their programs are made for Windows. It's too easy to stick with the same old, same old. Alot of people don't know anything about computers and don't give a rip.

On the other hand, if they keep pissing people off, they might just give a rip after all. Wink

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 12/23/15 at 22:11:51

cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/23/15 at 21:54:22:
By the way, Oldfeller, was your former occupation in any way related to computer science? Just curious Wink Seems like you talk about it a lot.

In my previous life I was a Senior Quality Assurance Engineer, then a Process Improvement Engineer, then a Six Sigma Black Belt, then a Purchasing Quality Assurance Engineer and SQA Lead Auditor for ISO /TS 16949, then I became a Manufacturing Engineer at the last remaining manufacturing facility in my city.

Then I became a security guard in my old age.

I like to watch stuff change, it is a hobby I guess.

Check and see if that Linux number includes mobile devices, or has somebody simply forgot that Android is Linux.    I bet it is a "PC only" based number.

I just read more net searches come off mobile devices now than do from all PCs and laptops now-a-days.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #43 - 12/23/15 at 22:22:58

An engineer... makes sense. I kinda know a little of what you're talking about. I was a business major. I had to go over Six Sigma in my studies, though I don't remember much about it, apart from the possibly obvious fact that it is a quality assurance/improvement program that businesses use. The basic principles have something to do with statistics? Six different standard deviations or something? I forget.

From your titles, it sounds like you were very successful as an engineer, more or less a systems/manufacturing engineer. I've thought about becoming a mechanical engineer. From time to time, I like to consider designing engines or something. Engineering takes a huge amount of time, effort, and money, though.

Why did you drop such a big engineering career for being a security guard? Didn't want to move? Tired of the pressure?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #44 - 12/23/15 at 22:26:03

The stats I mentioned were for "Desktop/Laptop", so yes, just PCs. The mobile market share is waaay different, I believe. That's where Android rules.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:27:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Microsoft Apologizes for Windows 10

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.