Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Oil War! :D
Reply #15 - 11/22/15 at 19:20:37

I saw this a few days ago, that's how I know about the Harley engines

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

According to him, the only new Harley worth buying is the 1200 Sportster. He might just be right, but then, you can't believe everything you read on the Internet (disclaimer).

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #16 - 11/23/15 at 09:35:10

The guy trying to sell you thumper oil make his living selling thumper oil to folks who don't know ant better
Never take advice from someone who has a financial stake in giving it
JOG suggested an excellent method of learning: the savage is essentially a big lawn mower engine (even sounds like one with the stock pipe) in a motorcycle
and while tech has it's place, I'd like to see Mr high tech repair his injected bike by the side of the road with pliers and a screwdriver  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 11/23/15 at 13:34:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/22/15 at 17:39:32:
The rod length can't make it slip. If the cable has slack, the clutch pack is gripping as much as it can.

Go get a junk lawnmower at a garage sale. Fix it. Sell it. Rinse, repeat.
Keep it all separate from household funds, build up. Get a piece of crap riding mower. Do not buy parts from the lawn and garden places, go to industrial supply houses.
Save up.
Buy a bike that isn't blown up.
Fix it.
U tube, forums..
Hunt for a forum before you buy. Few are like this place.
Yamaha Raptor forum was really bad.

I didn't even almost suggest that you buy a busted motorcycle.
Start with something that you can afford to sell to the salvage yard.
Start with a worn out lawnmower. Play with it. If it never runs, you will have learned something.
Before  buying anything, check u tube out.

youtube lawn mower repair videos

And it's not necessary to have a special flywheel puller.
If you're careful and have the right pry bars. I also have a ten pound slide hammer for body work, and it's a huge advantage.

Working on busted stuff that Failing to repair has minimal consequences is as safe a way to get experience as there is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #18 - 11/23/15 at 18:00:58

I have worked on small engines before, just not enough. How much stuff do I need to work on before someone can trust me with fixing their stuff? Just wing it and figure it out as I go? Build up a business gradually by buying, repairing, and selling until I get a reputation? Join into random bike building projects with people? Just random stuff like that? I met someone who was involved with some people who build Harleys, but I missed the chance to meet up with him. His employer sent him home early that day Sad.

It'd be pretty crazy to set up shop working on people's bikes having not worked on them before. Hmmm.... then again, you never know the possibilities Roll Eyes. There's some pretty creative business models out there, I would imagine, in various job fields. Of course, I hope I don't get flamed for such blasphemous thinking, but its good to think out of the box. It'd be better business strategy than charging a fortune for Mikeys like the dealers do  Grin. Hmmm, maybe I have been underestimating my capabilities a little bit. As if-- those other mechanics really know by heart how to work on each individual bike Roll Eyes. Like many here have said, even some of the dealer mechanics don't know what on earth they're doing with these Savages. They all have to follow the repair manual Tongue. Well,then again, I assume even the repair manuals can be wrong. I read that the Clymers manual has an error on clutch plate tolerances.

I am sure that some of you here are serious bike mechanics, both amateur and professional. How did you start? I may start another thread for this.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #19 - 11/23/15 at 18:36:23

I've started another thread for the topic of becoming a bike mechanic. Lets keep this thread an oil war for now, unless someone feels it appropriate to do otherwise. Smiley That way, more people can know what we're talking about. I thought about just changing the name of the subject, but that would just ruin that funny subject heading I made   Cheesy

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #20 - 11/23/15 at 18:37:01

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #21 - 12/03/15 at 16:09:30

By the way, I recently changed my oil. I overfilled it a little more than I would like, so I had a shop I was visiting to suck a little out while I was there. Boy, that stuff was dirty. I told him about changing my neutral switch, and he advised me to just change the stuff if I was going to continue to ride it.

I guess that Rotella I added cleaned the dirt out of the crevices. When I changed it, I looked at it. It could have been worse in my opinion, but with the wear metal in it (probably not an alarming amount), it was a good thing I changed it. To beat all, I had the nerve to take it up the Interstate before I changed it. I just hope it wasn't dirty enough to hurt anything.

Well, my guess is that in 3000 miles, unless the PO lied or something, it'll be just as dirty. This incident, along with the incident with our 83 Shadow (not even talking about that one Angry) teaches me to always change, or at least thoroughly inspect, the oil immediately upon purchasing a vehicle, regardless of what the PO says.

I can say one thing... When I changed the oil with some fresh Rotella dino oil, it sure made a difference. Made it run better, shift better, the works. I think the clutch gripped a little better. As far as running better or power is concerned, some of the effects seem to have faded upon the trip back home. I don't know, maybe my bike doesn't like chilly evenings Tongue.

Of course, it is still possible that there is still some dirt in there that is still being flushed out.

When I changed the filter, I put a K&N in it. I found that the PO had also put a K&N in there. I wanted to save it, but I dropped it and got it dirty Angry Angry.

I replaced the small o-ring with one in my Dad's old o-ring kit, but the big one was the real problem. The little one might have been a little flattened, but it was alright. The big one, though, had a pretty bad spot in it. My Dad found a big o-ring laying around, cut it to size using a slanted cut, had me fill it in with some old clear silicone caulk, and let it set overnight. I was skeptical, but it worked Tongue Smiley. Perhaps it helps that the seam was on the top side. That o-ring is low pressure, isn't it?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:38:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oil War! :D

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.