Send Topic Print
Knocking Engine (Read 80 times)
rattpunk
YaBB Newbies

Sup folks.

North Bay, CA
Knocking Engine
11/18/15 at 06:40:41

I've got an '09 with 1,2000 miles that was picked up Salvaged. Had been beaten all to hell and appears to have been laid down at speed at least once on each side Smiley

Anyway, I know it had bad oil, regular auto 10-40, my mechanic says it also looks like the PO didn't warm it up proper. Something about a leak test being around 30%.

Just recently adjusted the valves, and now there's something like a knocking going on. In time with the piston pulses. He couldn't locate with a stethoscope, but told me to check for metal flakes in the oil - piston related. I'll let you all know what it ends up being when I/we figure it out.

Glad this forum is around.

rattpunk   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Knocking Engine
Reply #1 - 11/18/15 at 07:05:22

I can't tell by your number....is that 1,200 or 12,000 miles?

Modern car oil can allow the cam and rockers to wear out really quickly, as there is not enough ZDDP in the oil.

When he did a leakdown test and only got 30%.....did he determine where the leak is (cylinder/valves)?  If the bike was run low on oil and the piston/cylinder was damaged, it can cause both low compression and a noisy engine.

There really isn't a warm up period required or recommended for the Savage engine...start it up, use a bit of throttle to keep the rpm up to a fast idle to supply adequate oil pressure to the engine, then in 30 seconds or so ride away gently and don't use full throttle until you get a few miles down the road and the engine is up to temperature.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/18/15 at 07:05:40

Warm up? Maybe
Broke in.
Ignore the leak down.. compression is fine if it accelerates strongly.
How long after the valve adjustment did the new noise start?
What oil you using?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/18/15 at 07:15:55

Oh wait a minute......are you flipping us the middle finger in the photo you posted to "Introduce Yourself"?

And now you want our help? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 11/18/15 at 18:03:22

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/18/15 at 20:06:12

autopsy the filter. I'm more able to picture a rocker/cam , just because after ten years here, that's what I'd expect. You're close enough to cam chain tensioner check to justify going in if you can't locate and eliminate the noise.

I would pop a valve cover, get some light on the cam.
If that's inconclusive, loosen the adjustments, blow the crap from down around the plug, pull it,  pop the inspection plate, rotate, listen, and, look under the rocker while the cam is down.
I wouldn't concern myself with compression, Ohhh wait, someone Already pulled the plug and went fiddling,,, and, whatever crunchy stuff was sitting down in the head, unless the mechanic blew it out,,,
Anyway, if it PULLS, and makes power, how bad is it? Low compression can't  run like a healthy motor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 11/19/15 at 13:33:03

We had trouble locating the source of the sound on mine as well, but it ended up being the piston.  
It still ran fairly well but just had that thump-thump-thump at low rpm/throttle settings.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Knocking Engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.