Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Inner tubes should be replaced when...

Every time tires are replaced
Every time rim tape is replaced
At regular mileage intervals
Never, if it's holding air, ride on

« Last Modified by: chzeckmate on: 11/08/15 at 10:22:14 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inner tubes should be replaced when... (Read 214 times)
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Inner tubes should be replaced when...
11/08/15 at 10:20:36

A guy is at the bike shop buying a new rear tire and this was overheard:  

SALES GUY:  So, did you want to replace the tube today too?  We have a special on "Brand X" tubes.
CUSTOMER:  I dunno, the tube has never been patched and seems to be fine.  Should I replace it?
SALES GUY:  You really should replace the tube every time you replace the tire.  The tube is only $18 and we can do it now while the tire is off for nothing, but if you have to replace it later it's gonna cost you.
CUSTOMER:  Yeah, that makes sense.  Let's go ahead and replace it.

Afterward a discussion ensued and the four distinct points of view in this poll were made.  I put the question to you...If you were in this situation what would your point of view be?  I took the position that if the tube is holding satisfactorily I wouldn't replace it.  Am I wrong?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Inner tubes should be replaced when...
Reply #1 - 11/08/15 at 11:09:36

What's the quote... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'd replace it when I replaced the tire. Might as well while you have it torn down.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #2 - 11/08/15 at 11:51:30

Tire, tube, rim strips replaced. Check the spokes, bearings, brake shoes (or pads) and anything else you can think of while you can get to it.  Preventive maintenance is the key to the difference between enjoying the ride and calling your buddy with a pickup to come rescue your broken down a$$ from what looks like the original setting of "Deliverance"......  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #3 - 11/08/15 at 12:27:38

old.indian wrote on 11/08/15 at 11:51:30:
....rescue your broken down a$$ from what looks like the original setting of "Deliverance"......  

'Inner tube', not 'inner lube'   Grin

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 11/08/15 at 14:54:07

Haha!  Grin

Is that banjos I hear in the background?

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/08/15 at 15:36:24

I don't replace the tube every time......sometimes I only get a year or two out of a tire as I buy pretty soft tires for the Cafe' bike.

Five years is no problem for a tube.....Ten is probably OK too if the bike isn't stored in a hot pole barn or storage shed where is gets 110+ degrees in the summer.

If the tube shows no wear marks from the tire or rim, and it is still soft and smells like rubber......it is probably OK.  (However I would get a name brand tube if I was going to use it for a while, and not buy the cheapest brand of tube available).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #6 - 11/08/15 at 18:42:24

change it.

Or else:

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/08/15 at 18:55:00

I change my own tires, and use Ride-on Tire Sealant to balance and protect against minor pinholes.  So changing the tube costs not only the $15 tube, but also the $15 Ride-on sealant bottle = $30.  

I always use the tube twice unless of course I pinch it mounting the tire, lol.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 11/08/15 at 19:35:38

Dave wrote on 11/08/15 at 15:36:24:
I don't replace the tube every time......sometimes I only get a year or two out of a tire as I buy pretty soft tires for the Cafe' bike.

Five years is no problem for a tube.....Ten is probably OK too if the bike isn't stored in a hot pole barn or storage shed where is gets 110+ degrees in the summer.

If the tube shows no wear marks from the tire or rim, and it is still soft and smells like rubber......it is probably OK.  (However I would get a name brand tube if I was going to use it for a while, and not buy the cheapest brand of tube available).

^ What he said

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 11/08/15 at 23:25:30

I really don't think there's a wrong answer here.  I tend to agree with Dave's POV.  I can't see a reason to replace a good tube, but if it makes you feel better to do so, I can't see anything wrong with it either.  

To all of you who are replacing your tubes with every tire change, I'll happily take the old one if you don't want it.  I'd be glad to have some spares lying around in case I get a puncture.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 11/10/15 at 18:10:02

I'm with Dave, besides, at the rate I pick up nails, the tube is likely younger than the tire  Grin

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/13/15 at 12:59:14

I thought I'd just mention that I changed tires yesterday and I reused both tubes.  They are at least five years old but looked okay and didn't have any patches.  Assuming I can avoid road hazards, I think they'll be fine until the next time I change tires.

If interested, you can see my initial review of my new Shinko 230 Tour Master tires here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1447063661/15#15

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #12 - 11/14/15 at 02:38:14

I inspect during tire replacement and only replace the tubes on condition.  If it's still holding air but the rubber is cracking, I'll replace it. Otherwise if it's still pliable and intact, it's going back on the bike.  I also wont replace rim strips unless they are cracking or torn most of the way through.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 11/14/15 at 10:18:22

I had a flat with only about 3000 miles on the bike because the rim strip snapped. It gets replaced EVERY time!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/14/15 at 10:27:37

Kris01 wrote on 11/14/15 at 10:18:22:
I had a flat with only about 3000 miles on the bike because the rim strip snapped. It gets replaced EVERY time!

That's a proper ounce of prevention.  I don't believe replacing tubes is preventative medicine, but I agree, replacing rim strips is legit.

I think I sense a rim tape vs. rim strips war coming...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:22:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Inner tubes should be replaced when...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.