Send Topic Print
Metallic Pinging (Read 317 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Lost Power on Top End
Reply #15 - 11/12/15 at 05:22:17

Keep moving toward stock , and test after each change, or, put it all back stock, and make changes, testing each change.

I didn't see that the exhaust is stock or not.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Reply #16 - 11/12/15 at 08:24:18

Here's the thing. I've been using that Nu-Foam filter for a while. The only difference is that I got rid of the air box cover on the side. Nothing else really has changed. So in terms of variables that's the only thing that really has changed. I wouldn't imagine a proper valve adjustment would cause a loss in power.

2009 Suzuki S40 Boulevard 8K Miles - Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 - Inline Fuel Filter - Raptor Petcock Mod - Modded Air Filter - Seat Lifted - 2 1/2 Turns Out - ~1200RPM Idle
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 11/12/15 at 08:52:30

so it's a simple test to figure out if that's the cause right?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 11/12/15 at 10:09:51

Operative word being
Proper.

How is it, hard off the line? Does it pull up till it sounds like you better be changing gears?
More details about how it's running might help. And anything that has been changed, regardless of how insignificant you think it is, go back, undo it.

If you were messing with a Rochester Quadrojet and made a small adjustment but the engine had a big, negative reaction, you'd undo the adjustment, even If you couldn't understand how such a small thing could make such a big difference.
Troubleshooting 101, if anything has been changed and it's not running right, undo whatever it was.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Reply #19 - 11/12/15 at 16:44:35

Hey all. So I rode the bike around a bit today, to try and see the cause. I changed everything but the valve adjustment back to stock (didn't have access to the shop/tools).

So.

I removed the air filter completely and threw the air box (the black cover with the gasket back on) complete restoration in power. Thus the cause was the airflow messing with the filter. Re-foamed the filter and threaded some wire through it at the top to keep it from separating as much. Much better now. So that problem is fixed.

Now though, I'm hearing a high pitched metallic pinging coming from the valve area. It wasn't present last night after the valve adjustment. Whisper quiet. As I rode today, I noticed it got louder and louder. Now I'm home and the bike is parked.

When I did the valve adjustment yesterday, I watched the intake valves open then close, then turned another half turn more until the timing marks lined up. Play in the rocker arms. Adjusted to .004 as previously stated. Tightened down the lock nuts. Rechecked clearances. Buttoned her back up. During that adjustment I didn't do anything else, except that airbox thing which I put back, which fixed the loss of power issue.

That metallic pinging (which happens at mid-rpms, right around 45 in 4th is when it's most pronounced, so around that RPM range. It almost sounds like rattling metal >.< Eek.

The issue with changing the valve adjustment back is that since my buddy did the actual adjustment I don't know what the valve clearances felt like BEFORE we readjusted, plus they were wrongly adjusted on the exhaust stroke anyway.

So. With only having the working knowledge I have now. What went wrong that the pinging just started today and got worse?

2009 Suzuki S40 Boulevard 8K Miles - Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 - Inline Fuel Filter - Raptor Petcock Mod - Modded Air Filter - Seat Lifted - 2 1/2 Turns Out - ~1200RPM Idle
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Re: Metallic Pinging
Reply #20 - 11/12/15 at 22:02:36

Those intake valves,, exactly where on the head are those on your bike?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - 11/12/15 at 23:17:32

It's been a week already.  I'd think we'd have a recording by now...hint, hint.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Reply #22 - 11/13/15 at 04:13:19

I tried recording the other day to diagnose a cam chain tensioner noise and my phone does such a crappy job it was just a mosh of noise. No distinguishable sounds.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 11/13/15 at 04:39:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/12/15 at 22:02:36:
Those intake valves,, exactly where on the head are those on your bike?

I'm trying to help.. And if you answer that correctly, that would be good.

IP Logged
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Reply #24 - 11/13/15 at 06:03:58

The valves closest to the carb. So on the right side if looking sideways at the bike from the shifter side.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 11/13/15 at 06:39:43

Thanks, that is the correct answer.  I'd use a piece of plastic tubing stuck in your ear, or, long screwdriver and pinpoint the location.
You're sure it's engine and not speedometer?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 11/13/15 at 07:18:52

I thought my valve train was starting to come apart, it kept getting louder and louder, and was most noticeable when sitting at a traffic light.

One day I reached forward and put my hand on top of the headlight...and the sound disappeared - but came back instantly when I let go of the headlight.  Turns out the chrome ring around the headlight was loose and rattled like crazy at idle.  I put a couple of pieces of the foam tape at the tabs that hold the trim ring to the headlight, and it works just fine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Reply #27 - 11/13/15 at 08:46:12

Hey,

Just checked. Listened to speedo and headlight. No noise from there. Coming from the valves somewhere, noise is definitely near the upper part of the motor. Also increases as RPM increases.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 11/14/15 at 06:16:20

How is it acting? Running okay?

IP Logged
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Reply #29 - 11/14/15 at 06:32:02

The bike is running smoothly. It's just that "assuming" valve noise that I'm unaccustomed to hearing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 16:41:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Metallic Pinging

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.