Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Who wants some Math Homework? (Read 826 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Who wants some Math Homework?
Reply #90 - 11/10/15 at 09:41:55

Thanks Old Feller. My clutch is relatively new so I will proceed with my oil change using T6 for the winter and will go back to rotella triple in the spring or summer.

On that site they also had the info for the Wal-mart universal oil and it looked like a good candidate for bumping with zddp.

Also, I do not know the price of it yet, but it looks like the Pennzoil Ultra would be great for the cars.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #91 - 11/10/15 at 10:14:01

I cannot recommend changing from 1 brand to another or 1 type of oil to another often.

The rings on the '96 which I used for the oil tests wore out shortly thereafter.

WWW   IP Logged
vincesingleton
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #92 - 11/10/15 at 10:54:18

2004 ls650
Questions...if i get it, shell rotella t triple protection oil 5w 40 is now deemed better than suzuki brand due to additive evolvements.
Do i need some kind of additive on top?
I have a gallon of 15w 40 hd diesel engine oil on hand...would that be an acceptable, better or totally unacceptable substitute?

Dont want mech failures ... should i just continue with suzuki oil?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #93 - 11/10/15 at 13:32:22

vincesingleton wrote on 11/10/15 at 10:54:18:
2004 ls650
Questions...if i get it, shell rotella t triple protection oil 5w 40 is now deemed better than suzuki brand due to additive evolvements.
Do i need some kind of additive on top?
I have a gallon of 15w 40 hd diesel engine oil on hand...would that be an acceptable, better or totally unacceptable substitute?

Dont want mech failures ... should i just continue with suzuki oil?

Nobody on this forum ever recommended that you use Suzuki oil!

Not sure what kind of diesel oil you have - but at the moment the Shell Rotella T or T-6 is the oil we recommend.  And until lately you didn't need to bump the ZDDP level up at all - but the ZDDP level has been dropped to 1,100 ppm....so we recommend you add 1 oz. of Redline ZDDP additive to each new oil change.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #94 - 11/10/15 at 15:25:34

I just changed my oil last month ,and used T6 . Is T6 considered not as desireable now ,and should I switch to the triple dino, or is it worse to switch from synthetic back to dino,than to keep running the T6? Thanks!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #95 - 11/10/15 at 18:57:14

Use up the T-6 oil you have and dial back in then as we will know better answers by then.

Odd are your T-6 is slightly older stuff anyway, which had less of the moly and the boron in it.

My concerns are based off a much abused clutch that is only showing MINOR warm up slippage, but warm up slippage is something that has come up occasionally for years now from people who were using energy star laden car oils.

In reviewing the HDEO list current today, the ZDDP is down to the 1,100 PPM level and the moly and boron are up to the 44-69 PPM level (or higher in some cases if you add them together).  

Seriously,  4 years ago a listing of SL grade car oils looked a lot like this list of HDEO's just taken this year, seriously.

I used to say that moly was staging a come back driven by the reduction of ZDDP (they have to have something to give long life characteristics to the oil if they can't use ZDDP).  Now, having reviewed the latest shift I would say the use of moly and boron are up again as the ZDDP goes down again.

Boron is like moly, except perhaps a bit more effective as a slippery stuff.   Both are used to coat jacketed rifle bullets for greater speed and less cleaning (and I have set ups to apply both to my jacketed bullets).   Putting some of such stuffs in my clutch isn't the best of ideas .......

AS YOU LOOK FOR A BUMPABLE OIL, look for something that LACKS the bad stuff and count on having to bump it to put back enough of the good stuff.

« Last Edit: 11/11/15 at 01:42:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #96 - 11/11/15 at 07:41:54

Can you buy CI-4 oil still, today?    Yes.

https://www.avepetroleum.com/product-details.php?prodId=32

That's $10.49 a GALLON (shipping is extra).  

Property  15W40 Premium

Viscosity, cSt @ 40°C          120.38
Viscosity, cSt @ 100°C          15.55
Viscosity Index                     135
Viscosity, CCS cP @ -20°C     6811
Calcium, %wt.                     .3290
Nitrogen, Wt. (%)                 .093
Phosphorous, Wt. (%)           .1270
Sulfur, Wt. (%)                    .486
Zinc. Wt. (%)                       .1420
Sulfated Ash, wt%                 1.37
Total Base Number                 0.8740
Specific Gravity                      20077

For this oil, you get the lowered detergency and the full .1420 count of ZDDP and old full load of Sulfur that used to define a good HDEO motor oil.

This stuff would kill an oxygen sensor or a cat converter in short order.  But it would make a Savage happy.

« Last Edit: 11/11/15 at 09:54:26 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #97 - 11/11/15 at 09:12:34

This is a quote from a ZDDPlus tech brief:

The most common way to indirectly measure the ZDDP content is to use one of several ASTM test methods to measure the phosphorus and zinc content. Zinc can often be added to oils as an acid neutralizing agent, so zinc is not a reliable indicator of ZDDP. Since phosphorus is found in oils predominantly in the form of ZDDP, we use it as the measurement criteria for ZDDP.

http://zddplus.com/2013/11/zddplustm-tech-brief-7-oil-additive-dosing-and-dil...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #98 - 11/11/15 at 09:49:14

The newly imposed limits in all of the new specs are measured on the evil component, which is the phosphorous.  

If you get the idea that each manufacturer does the calculations slightly differently, you are correct.

We use the Redline calculation methodology since most of us bump with Redline Booster.

If you bump with ZDDP plus, feel free to use the SuzukiSavage.Com bump chart which is correct for that product and the Eastwood sister product, or you can use the ZDDP plus recommendations scaled back to two quarts.  

But, please remember our list bump chart assumes you use dino Rotella Triple Protection with its higher start point as your bump base oil and the ZDDP bottle recommendations all assume you are starting with car oil.

Bumping Rotella Triple Protection dino using the ZDDP bottle recommendations results in an over-bump.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #99 - 11/11/15 at 10:20:25

McAfee gave me a 'risky behaviour warning' on that site lol
so this oil would be the shiz straight from the bucket, at a good price point (depending on shipping costs) but what about settling out? I'd hate to have to shake that whole fool drum up lol

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #100 - 11/11/15 at 10:32:03

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #101 - 11/11/15 at 10:54:19

Ford's 4.6 V8 did not fare well with thicker oils in Taxi service in our fleet, the cam chains wore prematurely
using the correct oil weight seemed to fix this issue, or at least the issue didn't occur when correct oil was used

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #102 - 11/11/15 at 12:48:44

Dave wrote on 11/10/15 at 13:32:22:
....so we recommend you add 1 oz. of Redline ZDDP additive to each new oil change.

Thanks Dave, I didn't read all seven pages of the post, I don't like math that much. But this is the info I needed. When this thread is done and locked, it would be nice if this info was easy to find.

Just my $0.02 worth.

And I do appreciate all those who "research" and "argue" these things out.  But that stiff is beyond me.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #103 - 11/11/15 at 12:54:57

prechermike wrote on 11/11/15 at 12:48:44:
Dave wrote on 11/10/15 at 13:32:22:
....so we recommend you add 1 oz. of Redline ZDDP additive to each new oil change.

Thanks Dave, I didn't read all seven pages of the post, I don't like math that much. But this is the info I needed. When this thread is done and locked, it would be nice if this info was easy to find.

Just my $0.02 worth.

And I do appreciate all those who "research" and "argue" these things out.  But that stiff is beyond me.

Mike:

The information will be in the Tech Thread....when I get off my butt and post it there.  I just have been so busy at work it is hard to find the time....yesterday I got here to work at 5:30 AM....and didn't start home until 8:00 PM. Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:24:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Who wants some Math Homework?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.