Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Who wants some Math Homework? (Read 826 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Who wants some Math Homework?
Reply #75 - 11/08/15 at 16:20:55

No, that's fine.   One ounce in a sump of T-6 parks you right up at 1400 ppm which is a good place to be.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #76 - 11/08/15 at 17:50:26

Thanks,i appreciate that.

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #77 - 11/08/15 at 18:46:43

Why don't we call this Oil Wars II ?

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #78 - 11/08/15 at 20:37:25

That's what I did (except I added 2 ozs. to a gallon - same ratio as yours). You really want half of that. Add 1/2 oz. to 2-1/2 qts (or 1 oz. to a gallon).

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #79 - 11/09/15 at 04:01:42

Sorry I have not replied to this thread much....I had a big project due last week, and I had a big annual party at my house on Saturday, and I spent all day Friday smoking 3 Turkeys and a Brisket.....it took 11 hours!

I still believe that 1,200 - 1,400 ppm is the range we should be shooting for.  Back in the days when Boule'tard made the list the Rotella T had 1,250 ppm in the bottle, and that was enough to keep the Savage cam and rocker happy.  I would used to add 1 oz. per gallon of Rotella to bump the ppm up to 1,400.

Now that the Rotella T is listed as 1,100 ppm, the 1 oz. of Redline ZDDP booster added to a gallon of oil will get me a ZDDP rating of 1,306 ppm - which is in an acceptable range.  If I wanted to get back to the 1,400 ppm I would need to use 1.625 oz. of Redline....which is not really a convenient dose to measure.  Chances are I am just going to use about 1.5 oz. as best I can measure that....and get a 1,383 ppm rating. (Or as Oldfeller suggested.....1 oz. into the crankcase with each oil change).

I am still of the opinion that for long term durability - we should not be using any more than 1,400 ppm of ZDDP.

I will post the updated chart in the Technical Section soon.....Monday mornings are busy here at work and when the others show up in about an hour, I will be really busy.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #80 - 11/09/15 at 04:09:02

Kris01 wrote on 11/08/15 at 20:37:25:
That's what I did (except I added 2 ozs. to a gallon - same ratio as yours). You really want half of that. Add 1/2 oz. to 2-1/2 qts (or 1 oz. to a gallon).

1 oz. to the gallon will result in a ZDDP ratio of 1,306 ppm - which is in the acceptable range.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #81 - 11/09/15 at 06:33:56

DesertRat wrote on 11/08/15 at 18:46:43:
Why don't we call this Oil Wars II ?

Real oil wars generally need a conflicting point of view -- everyone here agrees on what we want to do, we are just digesting a change in the environment that nobody had expected to have happen.  

It snuck up on us, so to speak.

What slapped us in the face this time is a new HDEO standard that is under development as we speak, one that will wag our little dog pretty strongly once it finally jells, since it controls all our favorite HDEO oils.

http://www.hddeo.com/articles/pc-11a-vs-pc-11b?utm_source=home&utm_medium=pc-...

"PC-11A is designed as a broad fit for existing trucks, and requires higher levels of protection and performance for end users than what was established by API CJ-4. While lubricants classified under PC-11A are backwards compatible, this category nevertheless represents a major step up for performance, and will require significant investment to meet the new requirements.

PC-11A lubricants will correlate with familiar kinematic viscosity grades as defined within API CJ-4, such as 15W-40, 10W-30, 5W-30, and so on. Once final, PC-11A is expected to be called API CK-4 in keeping with traditional nomenclature of the category.

PC-11B reflects the increasing adoption of lower viscosity lubricants in modern engine hardware, and will standardize these advanced products while maintaining protection and durability. These lubricants will mostly correspond with the kinematic viscosities 10W-30 and 5W-30, but will be referenced by their lower HTHS viscosity, to be distinguished from PC-11A."

http://www.hddeo.com/GF-6A-Specification

But I think we have a methodology worked out now that can handle these changes when its fruits all ripen and begin to drop all around us.

We will need to start looking at the jugs as we buy as the certification class we want is the older products class (older engines) which are CI-4 and CJ-4 class oils.  

If we can't find this, we need to be prepared to bump up one of the more modern class of PC-11A oils.   Or CK-4 oils, if they indeed name it that way.

Politically Correct = PC, this will help you to remember there is a sea change coming.

« Last Edit: 11/09/15 at 08:14:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #82 - 11/09/15 at 08:54:42

OK....maybe this is the post that will throw this into an "oil war".

My "second choice" oil has been Brad Penn oil.  The only thing that keeps it from being my "first choice" is the cost and the difficulty in buying it.  I can get it somewhat local - it is about an hour round trip to the engine machine shop that carries it in Cincinnati.  The cost is just about $ 7.00 a quart for the motorcycle oil.

This morning I contacted Brad Penn to find out exactly what the ZDDP oil level is for their motorcycle oil.  The Tech department contacted me and we had a nice discussion about the needs of the Savage and what it must have to survive.  The good news is that the Brad Penn Motorcycle oil provides not less than 1,260 ppm ZDDP and will protect our cams and rockers, and it is wet clutch safe.  It is also JASO approved for motorcycle use.  I explained that the Brad Penn was not on our approved list of oils on the forum - mostly because it cannot be obtained at the local auto parts store, motorcycle dealer or Big Box store.  He did explain that most of the oil they sell goes through Summit Racing, Jegs, Amazon and the specialty machine and racing shops.

I discussed the Rotella T with him and the new lowered 1,100 ppm ZDDP level.  He was sympathetic and stated that it is his believe that all vintage equipment should be operated with the type of oil that was being used when the equipment was built - and that if the original equipment needed a high level of ZDDP we should still be using that oil.  He also stated that the HDEO oils have nearly twice the detergent package that a gasoline engine oil would - and that these extra detergents are not necessary in a gasoline engine.  A diesel engine puts a lot of soot/ash in the oil and the detergents are needed in those engines - however the extra detergents take up space that would have been occupied by a lubricating molecule, and in the HDEO there are twice as many oil molecules displaced.  And when I mentioned that we used Redline ZDDP additive to supplement the current ZDDP level - he commented that they don't recommend adding anything to the oil package, as it changes the character and design of the oil "package" and it does not always improve the oil.  It is better to buy the right oil and use it as it was blended.

So, I am still convinced that Shell Rotella oil is a good affordable oil, that bumping up the ZDDP level a little bit most likely won't hurt anything and doesn't cost much, and that I am likely never to suffer an engine failure resulting from inadequate lubrication in our large lawn mower engine that is used in the Savage.  Are there better oils for the Savage....probably YES.  Do you need them....probably NO.  Is there a suitable oil that is cheaper to buy...probably NO.   Are their other oils as easy to find as Rotella T......depends on where you live and what your local specialty store carry....you will not find anything at the big box stores.

Should this oil be included in the Tech Section as a recommended oil....probably not unless it becomes more convenient to buy.

http://www.penngrade1.com/Products/Motor-Oils.aspx

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bpo-009-7156/overview/

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #83 - 11/09/15 at 09:56:35

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/HDEO%20SUMMARY.html

Dave,

If you are looking to lower the detergents and keep the ZDDP up high, look at the NAPA HDEO listed here -- I will stop by the NAPA store and see if it is still a joint rated CI-4, CJ-4 rated oil or if it got modernized in the last 2 years.

If it is still this way, we wouldn't have to do anything to it.  No bumping needed.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #84 - 11/09/15 at 10:10:00

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/09/15 at 09:56:35:

Dave,

If you are looking to lower the detergents and keep the ZDDP up high, look at the NAPA HDEO listed here -- I will stop by the NAPA store and see if it is still a joint rated CI-4, CJ-4 rated oil or if it got modernized in the last 2 years.

If it is still this way, we wouldn't have to do anything to it.  No bumping needed.

Why would the NAPA HDEO have less detergent than the other HDEO oils?

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #85 - 11/09/15 at 10:18:04

at the risk of a dumb question, has anyone researched single weight oils?
I mean, that's what was being used when the really old engines were built (I recall many arguments between auto enthusiasts in my younger days, over weather multi vis was really a good thing)
I just wonder if maybe they didn't screw those oils up
Maybe I should just look it up myself  Grin
BITOG, here I come
well that was a waste of time, can't find the fool charts there

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #86 - 11/09/15 at 10:43:53

Dave wrote on 11/09/15 at 10:10:00:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/09/15 at 09:56:35:

Dave,

Why would the NAPA HDEO have less detergent than the other HDEO oils?

Because it used to honor the old CI-4 spec completely and only gave lip service to CJ-4.  

However, upon checking it both on line and at the local NAPA it now only specs at 1100 ppm of ZDDP so I guess the pending spec. changes have gotten to it too.

I guess I'll bump Walmart Supertech Universal oil as my next purchase, but I will check it before I buy it.

I hate it when oils change standards.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #87 - 11/09/15 at 18:46:37

Is there any way to tell a 1250 ppm bottle from an 1100 ppm bottle of Rotella?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #88 - 11/09/15 at 20:19:08

Hey OF. Besides zinc at a minimum of 1200 ppm, what else should we be looking for or looking to avoid? Also, when did rotella triple drop down to 1100 ppm zinc? PQIA has it at 1200 ppm as of december 2014. They also have rotella t6 at 1300 ppm on that date. Have there been any changes to the t6?

Take a looky here. http://www.pqiamerica.com/June%202014/consolidated%20HDEO%202015.html

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #89 - 11/10/15 at 06:08:55

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June%202014/consolidated%20HDEO%202015.html

Thank you, Springman,  for finding the new HDEO listing, that makes the search much easier, being able to see what all the current offerings are really like.

However, in scanning the chart I see the increased use of other "energy star" types of things as the ZDDP goes down yet again.  

Look down the chart for titanium and boron compounds as they are apparently subbing them in for moly (all of which are trying to replace ZDDP as the caps get lower and lower on phosphorus).

This is sad to say, but this new HDEO listing reminds me of a listing of SL car oils from 3 years ago ......

============================

Since there are no acceptable oils any more we are going to have to bump from this point forward.  

We are now trying to AVOID the old energy star compounds like Moly as much as possible in picking our oils.

We don't know about Boron compounds for slippage yet, but we do note that Rotella Triple Protect dino has gone away from Moly (in the Rot Dino anyway) to the Boron compounds.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729116

Have to keep an eye on it,  but so far in my bike the Boron compounds being used do slip less than the Moly compounds used to before.

I for one am going to bump Rot dino, as it lacks the known bad moly issues.   I also note that use of moly in full syn T-6 is now up to 68 ppm and that should be a warning point if folks start to see any warm up clutch slippage using T-6.

Age of your clutch is a factor, mine is well abused from a lot of mountain trips and if the warm up slippage returns it will require attention at next cover off (for whatever reason I have to take the cover off).

« Last Edit: 11/10/15 at 07:14:00 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:19:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Who wants some Math Homework?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.