Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Who wants some Math Homework? (Read 826 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Who wants some Math Homework?
Reply #30 - 11/05/15 at 11:13:21

prechermike wrote on 11/05/15 at 10:43:47:
Thanks Oldfeller. But just to make sure I am ordering the right stuff, this is it, right?

Redline Engine Oil Breakin Additive 81403

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTUwWDU1MA==/z/lwQAAOSwNSxVQonf/$_35.JPG?set_id=880...

Yep, that's the stuff you want. Ordered it myself last year.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #31 - 11/05/15 at 11:18:36

stewmills wrote on 11/05/15 at 11:13:21:
prechermike wrote on 11/05/15 at 10:43:47:
Thanks Oldfeller. But just to make sure I am ordering the right stuff, this is it, right?

Redline Engine Oil Breakin Additive 81403

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTUwWDU1MA==/z/lwQAAOSwNSxVQonf/$_35.JPG?set_id=880...

Yep, that's the stuff you want. Ordered it myself last year.

Thanks Stew! As soon as my $ comes in, I'm ordering some too. Today is payday! Yahoo!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 11/05/15 at 12:39:04

Tocsik wrote on 11/05/15 at 10:55:42:
Is the new chart settled?
Also, what date/lot# did the ZDDP level drop from 1200 to 1100?

Good question.  Dave has got to decide whether he's going to truncate the table or not and then he's got to post it in the original thread.

He's likely waiting to see if anybody's got any "hell no" comments and he'll likely wait for the discussion to die down before he does that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 11/05/15 at 17:42:00

Actually I am just really swamped at work......and haven't got around to doing anything with fixing the original post.

(I also hate to see the work that Boule'tard did go away..........I miss having him around)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #34 - 11/05/15 at 17:44:18

Prechermike, that's the stuff.

I checked nearly every auto parts store around here and no one sells Redline products. You have to order it online.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #35 - 11/05/15 at 20:07:30

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/05/15 at 10:20:38:
If someone want to say Castrol oil is good stuff, please refine your statement down to WHICH CASTROL product you are talking about.

Castrol is like Kendal now-a-days, just a brand name that is currently owned by British Petroleum (BP) who trots it out occasionally to try to sell something to the American big engine muscle car owners.

Castrol oil built by Castrol Inc. back in the day was a high ZDDP oil, like many others of the era.    It was refined from Pennsylvanian crude and it was a good oil back then.  

This is NOT what  you are getting today -- it is a BP standard formulated oil in a Castrol jug.

Castrol Edge seems to have somewhat better specs that most of the Castrols lately, but it isn't consistent year to year and it gets weaker every time the general car specs change.

Pick which one you want to contest, and let's be about it -- been a year at least since we did a Castrol lookie-see.

regardless who made it, oil with friction modifiers is always labeled 'energy conserving, so as far as wet clutch approved, castrol from 10w40 up is ok
as to ZDDP I don't know, that was sort of my point, stinger has 50+k miles on a savage with Castrol
I dunno if it's regular GTX he's using, but almost EVERYONE at Honda Rebel forum uses GTX at 10w40 or above, and zero clutch issues
they also eyball the label for the 'energy conserving' label, just in case
last I checked, the 10w40 GTX is still not energy conserving
And Rebels do not have roller valvetrains, before anyone asks

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 11/06/15 at 04:29:22

Art, you are proposing generalities based upon another brand of bike's forum chat.  

Rebel 250s are small displacement high revving twin engines and Harleys are big air cooled twins with large running tolerances.   We don't let the 20w50 Harley Oil Lovers association get away with that, so neither can you with your buzzing 250 Honda Rebel oil.

Break it down and say exactly which Castrol oil are you proposing for the Savage.

We can't oil war your oil unless you tell us which one it is ......  there are at least 3 Castrols out there you know, Racing, Edge and normal GTX for cars.

And no, not every jug containing low levels of friction modifiers is labeled "energy conserving" (we wish that was true).    Technically, all the energy star oils have to be  -w30 or less weight oils to use the star symbol.  

And BTW, moly oil as an additive is now creeping into most all full synthetics now, even the ones used in motorcycles with wet clutches.

Grin

« Last Edit: 11/06/15 at 06:18:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 11/06/15 at 04:54:27

Here is the link to the list oil recommendations page in Tech Section.  

Dave has been working on it, you can tell because it is at the top of the listing in Tech Section.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565/1#1

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #38 - 11/06/15 at 09:53:57

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/06/15 at 04:29:22:

Art, you are proposing generalities based upon another brand of bike's forum chat.  

Rebel 250s are small displacement high revving twin engines and Harleys are big air cooled twins with large running tolerances.   We don't let the 20w50 Harley Oil Lovers association get away with that, so neither can you with your buzzing 250 Honda Rebel oil.

Break it down and say exactly which Castrol oil are you proposing for the Savage.

We can't oil war your oil unless you tell us which one it is ......  there are at least 3 Castrols out there you know, Racing, Edge and normal GTX for cars.

And no, not every jug containing low levels of friction modifiers is labeled "energy conserving" (we wish that was true).    Technically, all the energy star oils have to be  -w30 or less weight oils to use the star symbol.  

And BTW, moly oil as an additive is now creeping into most all full synthetics now, even the ones used in motorcycles with wet clutches.

Grin

which is why I said 'I dunno what version of Castrol stinger is using'
all I stated was that Castrol GTX 10w40 is wet clutch safe, and so is GTX20w50
YO STINGER, WHAT TYPE O CASTROL YOU USING!
C'mon buddy, you gotta back your statements up with details
ENQUIRING MINDS WANNA KNOW WHACCHOO USIN, PERZACKLY

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 11/06/15 at 10:39:58

GTX dino Castrol are SN car oils, so it will be a very short conversation.

I am finding many more different types of Castro oil, especially internationally.    BP Castrol does both dino and synthetic and blended and has a different sub-brand name for each item.

There are a great many different formulations and associated sub-brand names for Castrol 10w40.   And I am getting the impression these sub-brands don't hang around for more than a year so, so they don't get into Bob's database consistently.

REMEMBER, THE GRAY COLUMN IS WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE and the white column is what is actually there.

716 phosphorus and and 813 zinc .....  not so hot.   And Edge is supposed to be the good stuff synthetic but it looks like it's just a standard wimpy SN car oil, nothing special at all.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/A9EED664E7A92C4E80257EC...

And when talking about Castrol GTX 10w40 dino oil, just look at what Castrol says it is.

"Sludge resistant" SN car oil .......

"Due to continual product research and development, the information contained herein is based on products purchased and subject to change without notification.

Typical properties may vary slightly."

« Last Edit: 11/07/15 at 01:00:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #40 - 11/06/15 at 16:50:19

Ok guys. I did the math. Based on Rotella now being at 1100 ppm and red line being at 74,500 ppm, 0.2 ounce of red line added to 1 gallon of rotella will give you 1207.8 ppm. 0.5 ounce of red line added to 1 gallon of rotella will give you 1382.4 ppm.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #41 - 11/06/15 at 19:13:34

Using Boule'tard's chart, I've been using 2 ozs. of Redline to achieve 1559 ppm of ZDDP. Someone post the math for how you guys are figuring this out. By MY math (which I'm sure is wrong) I'm getting 2229 ppm with 2 ozs.  Shocked

128 ozs (1 gallon) of Rotella = 1100 ppm
0.2 ozs of Redline with 74,500 ppm of ZDDP

[ (128 * 1100) + (0.2 * 74500) ] / (128 + 0.2) = 2229.231   Huh Undecided

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 11/07/15 at 00:48:27

Kris, you've got to figure out how much ZDDP by weight is in each amount of booster base oil vs the weight of the oil itself (yup, the base oil weight that you also have to know by weight).    

Then do the same exact thing for the amount of Rotella oil you are using.    Nothing is done by volume, it is all done by weight.

Then you total the two ZDDP weights. then divide that number by the weights of the two base oils totaled together, then multiply that resulting very small fractional number by 1,000,000 to get your ZDDP PPM number for that mixture.

It isn't that easy to do.    And you begin to get a feel why Boule said to do your mixing to the full virgin gallon jug, as he had to have something to hold still for his figuring which was done on a complex formula spreadsheet.

Boule did the spreadsheet and the table correctly, we all reality checked at the time using our various methods.   The table was in line with the factory recommendations from Redline and Eastwood, differing only in that it starts up high because our Rotella base oils were already up high in ZDDP already.  

Gotta watch that Redline factory recommended mix ratio stuff that is on the bottle and on their web page, it assumes you are starting out using Walmart normal very very very wimpy car oils.

(and some of you are .......   Castrol GTX indeed)

Tongue

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #43 - 11/07/15 at 07:51:24

OF, I have a thing for numbers. Can you send me the spreadsheet (or post it here)? Or would the formula be easier to type on this message board?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 11/07/15 at 09:11:09

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471408/58

At post #58  Boule said it was easy, just ratios and volunteered to do it and post it.

I took him up on it, just like I am doing to you right now.   Read and enjoy, lots of old list players rang in on this one with Boule being the brash newbie in the group.

Tell us about what you find out in your investigations .......

Smiley

I'd read the whole thing from the beginning, and Boule attached his spreadsheet as a zip file to the blend table so folks  could see where his numbers came from.      

Grin    if you can get the zip file to read, that would be very helpful I would think ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:33:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › Who wants some Math Homework?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.