Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Who wants some Math Homework? (Read 826 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Who wants some Math Homework?
Reply #15 - 11/04/15 at 03:21:12

Not the best at math. Therefore I only use Castrol 20-50wt automobile oil all four seasons of the year. 56,000 plus miles on my 650 and not one repair ever to the engine.  Not one! In fact my header pipe is as shiny chrome today as it was the day I bought it new off the show room floor. No oil leaks and runs like a clock. I don't need no Rotella or ZDDP!  I did change the cam chain at 30,000 because I thought it was required. After it was apart I realized it is still in great shape and might reuse it again someday. I don't ride hard but I do ride pretty fast. I just checked the tensioner and it is still within limits. I probably will do the Versy this winter tho just to be safe. Am I the only one here that uses auto oil and 20-50?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 11/04/15 at 05:22:55

Dave, you will need to replace the table in the tech section.  

If your research confirms that PPM numbers over 1400 are more and more counterproductive, then you should truncate the table as Boule's old 1800 PPM top end is a very old racing oil spec.  

I think Redline goes up that high in their tables, but they are dealing with drag racers and stuff like that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 11/04/15 at 08:57:52

stinger wrote on 11/04/15 at 03:21:12:
Not the best at math. Therefore I only use Castrol 20-50wt automobile oil all four seasons of the year. 56,000 plus miles on my 650 and not one repair ever to the engine.  Not one! In fact my header pipe is as shiny chrome today as it was the day I bought it new off the show room floor. No oil leaks and runs like a clock. I don't need no Rotella or ZDDP!  I did change the cam chain at 30,000 because I thought it was required. After it was apart I realized it is still in great shape and might reuse it again someday. I don't ride hard but I do ride pretty fast. I just checked the tensioner and it is still within limits. I probably will do the Versy this winter tho just to be safe. Am I the only one here that uses auto oil and 20-50?

Rotella is auto oil
and diesel oil
and moto oil
and genny oil
on the Honda Rebel forum a lot of folks use Castrol from 10-40 to 20-50 (castrol above 10-30 is not 'energy conserving') and are happy as larks with it
one fella has over 100k on his rebel with Castrol
We choose Rotella for the ZDDP, which experience of some members suggests out engines need
This brings up a question someone else has mentioned before: What if the damaged engines weren't because of a lack of ZDDP? what if the real culprit was something else? (low idle speed comes immediately to mind)
what if Castrol has something in it that does the same thing?
Hmmmmm

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 11/04/15 at 09:25:37

Art:

The failure caused by low idle speed, and lack of ZDDP appear to cause 2 seperate modes of failure.

The low idle speed kills the cam bearings and doesn't seem to do much damage to the cam or rockers.  I guess the low speed doesn't overstress the cam lobes or rockers.

The lack of ZDDP doesn't do anything to the cam bearings and they stay smooth and shiny - but it causes the cam lobes and rocker to wear too fast.

If someone had a low idle speed and oil without enough ZDDP - I suppose they could damage the bearings and wear out the cam lobes and rocker simultaneously.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #19 - 11/04/15 at 10:20:49

ok
that makes it curious that stinger is getting along fine with Castrol, doesn't it?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 11/04/15 at 10:43:55

Art Webb wrote on 11/04/15 at 10:20:49:
ok
that makes it curious that stinger is getting along fine with Castrol, doesn't it?

I dunno....most folks formulate 20W-50 with high doses of ZDDP as it is not an oil approved or listed for use in modern fuel injected engines.....you won't ever see the "Energy Saving Star" on a bottle of 20W-50.  Most stuff that uses 20W-50 is vintage or race oriented.  Somebody needs to find out if the Castrol 20W-50 has friction modifiers and how much ZDDP is in it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #21 - 11/04/15 at 13:14:24

NO!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 11/04/15 at 15:07:20

No? Kinda need to elaborate..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #23 - 11/05/15 at 08:37:28

Checked at Advance Auto Parts, they didn't have any redline stuff,  they did have this from Lucas, is that the same stuff, or at least OK?

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 11/05/15 at 08:57:24

NO  Lucas.

Not approved for wet clutch use at all by the mgf.    Contains TONS of friction modifiers and the Lucas base oil contains bad polymers as well.

We've checked Lucas before and found only bad news, and we have also had newbies come on board after using the stuff and contaminating their clutches VERY BADLY.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 11/05/15 at 09:02:34

The only good supplements we have found require internet ordering.   Try Amazon, they have the approved stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 11/05/15 at 10:20:38

If someone want to say Castrol oil is good stuff, please refine your statement down to WHICH CASTROL product you are talking about.

Castrol is like Kendal now-a-days, just a brand name that is currently owned by British Petroleum (BP) who trots it out occasionally to try to sell something to the American big engine muscle car owners.

Castrol oil built by Castrol Inc. back in the day was a high ZDDP oil, like many others of the era.    It was refined from Pennsylvanian crude and it was a good oil back then.  

This is NOT what  you are getting today -- it is a BP standard formulated oil in a Castrol jug.

Castrol Edge seems to have somewhat better specs that most of the Castrols lately, but it isn't consistent year to year and it gets weaker every time the general car specs change.

Pick which one you want to contest, and let's be about it -- been a year at least since we did a Castrol lookie-see.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #27 - 11/05/15 at 10:43:47

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/05/15 at 08:57:24:
NO  Lucas.

Not approved for wet clutch use at all by the mgf.    Contains TONS of friction modifiers and the Lucas base oil contains bad polymers as well.

We've checked Lucas before and found only bad news, and we have also had newbies come on board after using the stuff and contaminating their clutches VERY BADLY.

Thanks Oldfeller. But just to make sure I am ordering the right stuff, this is it, right?

Redline Engine Oil Breakin Additive 81403

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 11/05/15 at 10:50:15

Gus wrote on 11/04/15 at 13:14:24:
NO!

NO, what? You use 20-50?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #29 - 11/05/15 at 10:55:42

Is the new chart settled?
Also, what date/lot# did the ZDDP level drop from 1200 to 1100?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:38:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Who wants some Math Homework?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.