Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
another cam chain post: my experience and a ? (Read 180 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
another cam chain post: my experience and a ?
10/30/15 at 18:52:41

I think any time one of us tackles something for the first it's a good opportunity for that person and others to learn.  With that in mind, I hope I'm not just increasing the overall bulk of this forum with the following.
My bike turned 10k miles recently and I decided it was time to check the tensioner as long as I would be dropping the oil (been hearing just a bit of noise lately, too).
Step one:  read a bunch on SS.com for other folks experiences and general learnin'.
Step two:  gather necessary parts.  Mostly the clutch cover gasket and exhaust header gasket.
Step three:  get to work.

Draining the oil and pulling the exhaust is no big deal.  My exhaust gasket actually looks pretty good so I think I'll just hang on to the new one for now.

TIP:  Two ways to deal with the right side foot peg.  Either let it hang by pulling it off both bolts or use Diggers method of just tapping the top/forward bolt and rotating it forward.  I tried that and found it easiest to go ahead and let the entire foot peg assembly hang, but, I suspended it by a big twist tie (wire would work fine, too 'course) from the frame so there was no danger to the brake switch connection and clip.

The clutch cover came off remarkably easy and the gasket is intact.  I'm now torn between re-using the gasket (which would be taking a chance for a leak but saving the new gasket) or using the new one.  I will probably just err on the side of caution since I already have the gasket.  Wish they were cheaper.  Any thoughts one way or t'other?
Here's how it looks:

I used the cardboard box technique for keeping track of the bolts (just traced around the new gasket) and a "redneck parts sorter" for the other bits (aka egg carton).

Props to my local shop.  I went in and talked to the guys in the shop instead of the parts counter and explained that I wanted a back-up circlip in case the one holding the tensioner deformed too much to re-use.  He said he's never encountered that but went in back and then just handed me 2 different sizes; a 7 and and 8.  Great service there!

The hardest part of this (thus far) was getting that darn circlip off.  But only because I didn't have the right tool.  My snap ring pliers are huge and no amount of effort with small flat-bladed screwdrivers would work.  I even impaled my finger with a jeweler's screwdriver before giving up last night.  On my way home, I stopped at Sears and picked up a small snap ring plier and when I got home, walked up to the bike and took that clip off on the first try.

TIP:  don't start this project unless you have the right tool to remove that clip!  Save yourself a whole bunch of aggravation and injury!

Here's the one I picked up for $9:

I sent the funds to Verslagen and have my parts cleaned and bagged for the post office tomorrow.
Hope the tips help someone in the future and any feedback from folks who have re-used the clutch cover gasket would be appreciated.  I don't want to bother with RTV except the few places it's recommended (by the wires and the 3 washer gaskets).

Oh, and my tensioner was out by about 19.5 mm at 10K miles.  Most of those miles were from me (from about 2700 on) and the ride length is usually 24 miles to work and then back home.  Maybe my tensioner went out sooner since the rides aren't long?

Another tip:  If you don't have calipers, you can mark a piece of paper and then just measure that with a ruler.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: another cam chain post: my experience and a ?
Reply #1 - 10/30/15 at 19:51:20

Quote:
feedback from folks who have re-used the clutch cover gasket would be appreciated.

I reused the gasket. Cover came off and the gasket stayed stuck to the case. I put a thin line of Hondabond on the gasket in the area where the oem gasket has the sealant built into it. Nothing anywhere else. Hasn't leaked a drop for close to two years.

My bike is an '06 and had just under ten thousand miles on the clock when I put the versey adjuster in, and I'm pretty sure that the  cover had never been off prior to that.

The brand new gasket is still in the plastic wrapper it came in. I'll use it when I finally have to change the chain, or if I ever have to work on the clutch.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/30/15 at 20:02:41

Tocsik,

I, and probably many others appreciate the detail you have provided in your post.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/30/15 at 20:52:51

Why tear up  a gasket that wasn't leaking and isn't damaged?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/30/15 at 21:25:29

I have pulled clutch covers off w/out any damage and reused them.
I don't think any reported any leaks from the gasket.
But I always have a spare just in case.

WWW   IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #5 - 10/31/15 at 12:41:01

Hope you have better luck with the mail system than I did. The adjuster that I mailed back never made it. Not sure what the best way to mail one would be.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 10/31/15 at 17:49:53

I sent it the same way Versey ships. First class, insured. You get a tracking number and it travels in 2 days. If it's lost, you are insured.  Only costs a little over $5.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 11/01/15 at 00:08:52

Get a USPS small flat rate Priority box; free at the post office; wrap it good and stuff it in the box.  2 days shipping time, tracking # and the box adds extra protection.
Add a bit of extra packing tape to the flaps, just to be sure it does not open while in transit.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 11/01/15 at 00:57:35

I definitely appreciate you for documenting and sharing your experience with this, Tocsik.  I think you'll help to give confidence to those who might be apprehensive about doing this themselves.  Cheers!

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 11/01/15 at 05:54:47

Yeah, its a pretty simple procedure but I can certainly appreciate anyone being apprehensive about it. It may feel like you're "tearing into" the motor but the CCT is just right inside the clutch cover and very little teardown is involved.

Doing this sort of thing is really just a part of owning a bike. And for me, its actually pretty enjoyable to do things myself. Satisfying and an excuse to buy another tool  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 11/01/15 at 19:18:40

The only oil leak I ever had was the oring on the clutch shaft. It's about a dime. Already there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 11/11/15 at 18:38:44

got the 'slavy in and things are looking good.

Clymers calls for 20-25 N-m torque on the CCT set bolt.  That sure seems high; any thoughts on that?  

And, if I got 10K miles on my stock CCT, can I expect to need to change the cam chain at about 20K?  Not looking forward to that job  Huh

Also curious about the clutch rod.  I'm getting 12.1 mm extension and just haven't been able to get complete clarity on this topic in my reading here.  I think that's OK but wanted to get feedback from any who have dealt with this.

Thanks all!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/11/15 at 23:48:52

Proper planning and you can have a new cam , ready swap. Gonna be right there.
The bike coaxes us into learning. Start off with an old one, and you better be a mechanic.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:34:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › another cam chain post: my experience and a ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.