Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
sissy bar and B pad hafta go (Read 267 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
sissy bar and B pad hafta go
10/19/15 at 18:25:10

Is there an out let for fender struts without the sissy bar slots on top the strut? Also, during my ride tonight I noticed the handle bars are to narrow and swept in to far. Any suggestions for replacements would surely be welcome. Also looking at wider trple trees and full length fender for the rear. What fits what doesn't.

Thanks Gus

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: sissy bar and B pad hafta go
Reply #1 - 10/19/15 at 18:42:21

I had to go look at your other post to see the bike you are working on is a 2002....share that in this thread and people will know better what you are starting with.

Watch the Marketplace for the struts without the sissy bar - a lot of folks who are doing RYCA conversions on the later bikes will have those for sale.  The later bikes didn't have the sissy bar...and you might even find someone who will trade for you.

The early bike also had "Buckhorn" bars.....and most people don't find them comfortable.  The later "Drag" bars are nicer, and you will need the taller risers to use them.

Wider Triple Trees?  You wanting to change the entire front end?

For a bigger back fender you have to adapt something....there isn't anything that is bolt on.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 10/19/15 at 19:41:47

I apologize for the error of omission about the year of the bike. I'll have to see what I can come up with on the rear fender. Putting feelers out to find out how much aftermarket stuff is available for these.
About the triple trees ; I am wanting to put the same size wheel and tire on front and rear. Both wide. I've not done any measurements yet but I'm assuming that will call for a wider setting between the tubes.
I'dhave to see what those drags with dog bones looks like. As far as handle bars iI'd like to find some with a little less rise a little less sweep and about six inches wider.
As a younger man I spent a lot of time doing century (100 miles) rides on bicycles. It takes me about 3 seconds to recognize a set of bars that are unfit for human use. Those bars on that Savage are not fit for anyone. They are swept in way to far for anyone, save the smallest of riders, to use effectively.
I would bet half the people that get rid of these bikes is because of those bars. They gotta go.

Thanks, Gus

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 10/20/15 at 02:02:38

Gus wrote on 10/19/15 at 19:41:47:
... It takes me about 3 seconds to recognize a set of bars that are unfit for human use. Those bars on that Savage are not fit for anyone. They are swept in way to far for anyone, save the smallest of riders, to use effectively.
I would bet half the people that get rid of these bikes is because of those bars.

Thanks, Gus

LOL...Probably not. I'd think putting on a set of drag bars or broomstick would be easier than selling a motorcycle. You can get a set of 36" drag bars cheap and you can reverse a pair of pullback risers to move them forward.  Done in five minutes.

« Last Edit: 10/21/15 at 00:49:53 by chzeckmate »  

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/20/15 at 04:09:30

Our fork tubes are 38mm, and that is not a real common size....and it will be even harder to find some triple trees that are wider.  

Here is a build thread that used an Intruder font end that is wider.  You will get the clearance you need - plus better brakes.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1395723490/0

Now those of use that rides bikes because they handle well and like to ride in the curvy mountain roads.....we will try and talk you out of putting a big meaty front tire on - it will make the bike slow steering and sluggish in the corners.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 10/20/15 at 19:21:12

Cheezzz Dave that is good information and a good build thread. Thanks for that. I think, too, that ive found some fendrs on line that will work.

Gus

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 10/21/15 at 09:22:42

Easiest rear fender to adapt is an FL Shovelhead replica. Notch the front of the new fender. Remove all items from stock rear fender, set FL fender over stock one. Weld together, add a real taillight and turn signals, run new wires. Once you finish tuning the tire to fender gap of course, which is done by trimming the stock fender end.

Find pics on here of my daily rider. FL fender, tombstone taillight, solo seat, small police windshield, Indian Chief style bags, Road King handlebar, fishtail exhaust, Panhead floorboards... There are 2 versions on the site, the orange with dirt track tank (parts roach) and the black/cream with stock tank.

I have 2" dog bone risers on the black bike, 6" or so on the orange one, OR 15" rise ape hangers in stock base risers.

Recommended tire sizes are 90/90-19 or 100/90-19 for stock fork; 80/90-21 or 90/90-21 for Intruder fork. Rear handles best with a 130/90-15, looks best with a 140/90-15.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/21/15 at 09:32:45

WD knows his stuff, and his bikes are beautiful
If the fender struts interchange year to year, I'd be nore than happy to trade my non sissy struts for your sissy bar and struts, won't cost either of us but for shipping
I also like the buckhorns, but I think swapping from the factory drags to the bucks is a bit problematic
And TBH, I think I'd like FL bars even better, like WD on one of his bikes
or Sporty bars like Versy has on his

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 10/21/15 at 18:59:27

Dave, I missed the comment about the curvy mountain roads and sluggish steering. I know how the wider front tire will affect the steering and handling. I DO travel a lot of gravel and the wider front tire always seems less twitchy in the dirt. Much of why I bought a Savage has to do with the places I ride and how I ride. I've put a couple hundred miles on this bike since Sunday, when I bought it, and I struggle with the twitchy steering

WD thanks for the pointers on the wide fenders. Not sure I want to go as wide as a stock Shovel fender but I'll have to take a closer look.

Art I may just take you up on the trade. First I want to take up the B pad and see how much junk is actually under there and see what I can manage to do with it. I wonder if tail light wires can be run beneath the struts the back through the fender and through to the tail light again.

Gus

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/22/15 at 20:04:54

I don't think there's a lot under there, but I haven't been there for a while and it's after dark now
A sissy would give me a place to strap a sissy bar bag, so id you decide you want to swap, let me know

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
wider spacing on tubes
Reply #10 - 11/01/15 at 11:56:33

OK Dave,
Thanks for got hat link again to that build t hread. I' ve got an intruder front end on the way. I smell a build thread coming on Huh

Dave wrote on 10/20/15 at 04:09:30:
Our fork tubes are 38mm, and that is not a real common size....and it will be even harder to find some triple trees that are wider.  

Here is a build thread that used an Intruder font end that is wider.  You will get the clearance you need - plus better brakes.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1395723490/0

Now those of use that rides bikes because they handle well and like to ride in the curvy mountain roads.....we will try and talk you out of putting a big meaty front tire on - it will make the bike slow steering and sluggish in the corners.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: wider spacing on tubes
Reply #11 - 11/02/15 at 04:32:01

Gus wrote on 11/01/15 at 11:56:33:
OK Dave,
Thanks for that link again to that build thread. I've got an intruder front end on the way. I smell a build thread coming on Huh

When you start your build thread.....keep it in the same thread so it can be posted in the Bike Build.  Once it builds up enough momentum and has moved beyond an "idea" and actually has made progress, one of the Moderators can create a link and include it into the "Bike Build" section.  

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #12 - 11/03/15 at 09:19:32

WD wrote on 10/21/15 at 09:22:42:
Easiest rear fender to adapt is an FL Shovelhead replica. Notch the front of the new fender. Remove all items from stock rear fender, set FL fender over stock one. Weld together, add a real taillight and turn signals, run new wires. Once you finish tuning the tire to fender gap of course, which is done by trimming the stock fender end.

Find pics on here of my daily rider. FL fender, tombstone taillight, solo seat, small police windshield, Indian Chief style bags, Road King handlebar, fishtail exhaust, Panhead floorboards... There are 2 versions on the site, the orange with dirt track tank (parts roach) and the black/cream with stock tank.

I have 2" dog bone risers on the black bike, 6" or so on the orange one, OR 15" rise ape hangers in stock base risers.

Recommended tire sizes are 90/90-19 or 100/90-19 for stock fork; 80/90-21 or 90/90-21 for Intruder fork. Rear handles best with a 130/90-15, looks best with a 140/90-15.  

I put a newer FLH front fender over a stock fender that I cut (old bobber project) in order to use stock mounting locations. I also went with a tombstone tail light and a 130/90 tire. I am in the process of sourcing parts to swap the front end out with a VS750/800 and want a larger tank on it.

Here is my build thread: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1438813391/0

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #13 - 11/04/15 at 08:47:05

WD,
Thanks for the fender info. and tire size options. I'm going to be making some of these changes during the off season; if that ever come's.  Still riding here. I've got an Intruder front end on the way already.

WD wrote on 10/21/15 at 09:22:42:

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 11/05/15 at 10:22:04

... Daily rider bags have since been swapped.

... I think you can see which parts off the orange one went onto the black one.

... Yes that is a drum front wheel, no, you can't have it.

... Formerly everyone's favorite version of the bike that had a terminal electrical failure.

I do need to either add a lowering kit or swap back to stock shocks on my daily rider. Too much tire to fender gap.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:30:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › sissy bar and B pad hafta go

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.