Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Where does the energy come from? (Read 278 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Where does the energy come from?
10/25/15 at 07:56:47

Where does the energy come from?

We all have/have had magnets and we know how to use them.   But I am forced to ask the question again .....

I just burned an old bed and some junked furniture and a couple of other odds and ends out in the yard (its legal where I live).    

Lots of tire killing deadly little staples and such like stuff left in the ashes, so I got out my 2" by 1" by .250 thick supermagnet and stuck it on the end of a piece of conduit and lightly skimmed the ash layer with it.

Staples from 2-3" away from the sweep path were LEAPING up out of the ashes, making little ash explosions as they did so and making little click noises as they hit the magnet.

Before long I had a fuzzy steel ball of staples and eyelets and other hardware on the end of my stick.   So I washed it with the hose and then pulled them off with my fingers.  

Not all that easy to do, mind you.   Full finger force and the sliding to a corner was used a lot.

I swept those ashes 3 separate times and on the last pass I was digging the dirt just to pick up just a few tiny staples.   And a lot of rust particles.

Then I had to clean the magnet to get all the rust particles off of it -- dust-like rust that you have to rub off with a piece of cloth to get it off the magnet.

=============================

The Earth has a huge magnetic field that is said to come from the rotation of the iron core.   It performs work (yes deflecting all the solar wind that would blast us into extinction is work that is being performed all the time).

If the energy came from the Earth's rotation, shouldn't it slow down?

There was work done making those staples explode up out of the ashes --- if the work I had to do to get them off the magnet was any indicator this was a right significant little work event.

Where did the energy to do that work come from ?????

It take a force to hold magnets up against your refrigerator, pull one off if you don't believe me.

Where does the energy to do that force come from ?????

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Where does the energy come from?
Reply #1 - 10/25/15 at 08:18:35

Wow..... I just sorta answered this today:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1445565053

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/25/15 at 08:26:16

Sometimes,.. the magnets on my fridge get tired and jump off... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 10/25/15 at 08:32:32

Serowbot wrote on 10/25/15 at 08:26:16:
Sometimes,.. the magnets on my fridge get tired and jump off... Huh...

Turn your fridge over bot, that should fix it.......

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 10/25/15 at 14:02:16

raydawg wrote on 10/25/15 at 08:18:35:

You lost me at "god".

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 10/26/15 at 10:11:33

gizzo wrote on 10/25/15 at 14:02:16:
raydawg wrote on 10/25/15 at 08:18:35:

You lost me at "god".

Third post.... word.... religion.... ok I stopped reading too...
religion has nothing to do with magnets or how they work.
Only a devout religious person would make a comparison.... i'm done.

You do realize Old Feller, that you held on the end of your stick, a power that overcame the gravity of the earths pull !!! Those staples did not have a change against your awesome power!!

Hey!!, if we put a super electromagnet in space, powered by the sun and turned it on to draw it toward the sun and then to keep it from pulling away from the earth, we then use the backside to target, a "payload" on earth, could we pull things into orbit?
Eureka!!! I have solved the reusable rocket problem! some one call DARPA I need funding!  Grin Cheesy Shocked Shocked Cool Roll Eyes

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/26/15 at 10:24:13

old_rider wrote on 10/26/15 at 10:11:33:
Eureka!!! I have solved the reusable rocket problem! some one call DARPA I need funding!  Grin Cheesy Shocked Shocked Cool Roll Eyes

How do you stop it from sucking yer' Savage into orbit?... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 10/26/15 at 10:28:09

Serowbot wrote on 10/26/15 at 10:24:13:
old_rider wrote on 10/26/15 at 10:11:33:

It would have to be from a POLAR orbit silly! ain't nothing magnetic up there cause of the big ol' hole in the atmosphere! wait... compasses point north... from SOUTHERN POLAR ORBIT! yeah.. that's it...

So don't be riding yer savage to see santa, oh man! I forgot about santa! I better fill him in on my idea! Roll Eyes

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/26/15 at 11:08:20

Serowbot wrote on 10/26/15 at 10:24:13:

You have to tether the bike to the ground during the time of day when the magnet is overhead......and ride only when the magnet is on the other side of the planet.  (The bad news is the Savage is going to feel like it weighs 800 pounds at the time of day when it is safe to ride).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 10/26/15 at 12:06:50

So, what powers the magnet to cling to the steel tubing leg of my computer bench so tenaciously?    It takes a measurable force of 2.3 ounces to hold the weight of the magnet up against gravity ..... actually it is a side clamping force that is actually a good bit greater than that as the coefficient of friction of plated metal on painted steel is less than 1.

You can say it is "all the electrons spinning the same way" but that simply defines a permanent magnet but that does not say where the resulting "replenished, unchanging" work energy comes from when the magnet does physical acceleration type work.

I use my magnet to do work, but it never gets weaker (that I can tell, anyway).

What powers that magnet?   Where does the seemingly endless energy come from that makes the staples and nails fly up from 2-3" away year after year?

Like LENR, some things are now calling some basic physical laws into question and folks are being open minded enough to permit these questions to be asked -- when in the past they would have been poo-pooed or shushed as un-answerable.

Magnetism ..... as a different force from gravity.   Generated at the atomic level by electrons whirling in the same pathway or orientation, creating a inverse square projected force that is replenished endlessly BY THOSE ATOMS that can do work on the macro level without seeming to weaken or diminish much over time (as long as the atoms maintain that same orientation).

As we develop better and better superconducting supermagnets, what will we be forced to learn about where/how movement energy is created and is always available ---- endlessly.

We don't currently know where the energy comes from, but unless you want to toss conservation of energy at the atomic level out the window, it comes from somewhere.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/26/15 at 13:38:30

Against my own better judgement, I will try to explain how I understand this.

Get a SMALL magnet.  Try to pick up a paper clip.  It works!!!  Pick up another.. YAY!!!!   Keep going..  eventually, it won't pick up any more.
You have exhausted the POTENTIAL energy of that magnet.  You can get it back by REMOVING the paper clips.. but, that takes WORK.   Yep.. just about as much work as was done when the magnet picked them up.
You gained nothing.

Another useful analogy is a spring.  It has no energy.  You put in energy by compressing it.. and it can sit there with all that energy doing nothing, until you release it.
Basically, a magnet in reverse.. as the magnet releases it's energy by picking up something, you put it back by removing the object.

And that is all I am saying on it.   You can do your own research on the internet.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/26/15 at 17:43:20

Well the only way I know to make a magnet.....is to take steel or iron or something like that.....and subject it to a strong magnetic field.  Most of the magnetic fields are made by using coiled wire and electricity to create the magnetic field.  I remember seeing a charging device for the magneto in antique engines.  You set the horseshoe shaped magnet on the coils, energized it.....then you were supposed to bang on it to help the magnet take a set.

So....in the case of those magnets that are manufactured - the energy came from the electricity that set up the magnetic field.....the magnet just held onto and stored some of it, and eventually the magnet does lose the energy and needs to be recharged (but it takes a while).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 10/27/15 at 08:51:31

Q:  Where does the energy come from?

A:  1 "In the beginning [before all time] was the Word ([a]Christ), and the Word was with God, and [b]the Word was God Himself. 2 He was [continually existing] in the beginning [co-eternally] with God. 3 All things were made and came into existence through Him; and without Him not even one thing was made that has come into being."

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/27/15 at 22:49:16

Sorry, good try though.   You are thinking iron magnets and yes they did weaken over time and impacts and heat, etc.   All the stuff you remember about lawnmower flywheels is accurate and is still true, for iron magnets.

Yes, today's rare earth super magnets DO require a strong origin magnetic field while making them to orient all their electrons so their orbital paths all align.  This is a single protracted strong magnetic pulse that is applied at the heat treatment Curie point (heat point where magnetism leaves a permanent magnet when it is being heated up) just at the point where the temperature is dropping down past the Curie point and the atomic matrix structure settles into its permanent orientation and the material becomes fixed.   Yes it is a very strong field, but not that much stronger than the resulting batch of magnets are and they keep right on trucking after they take a set.  Indeed, as the joint orientation takes place the cooler aligned magnets on the outer layers help orient the hotter ones in the middle of the batch --- you didn't think a large batch of magnets cooled all at the same time, did you?

Supermagnets are powered at the atomic level by normal whirling electrons of an alloy of iron, boron and neodymium.   The resulting sintered and spin oriented at the Curie point of heat treat powdered metal iron boron neodymium material has the somewhat unique property of taking a better "set" than other materials that have been used in the past.

(although this is no longer totally true as other even better rare earth super magnet materials are now coming out of ongoing super conductor research).

This magnetic ability is in ALL materials that have whirling electrons.  Super cooled super magnets can force field suspend an apple for example, by aligning all its electrons in all its elements temporarily.  The ability to have (1) a strong organized field and (2) take a permanent set AND KEEP IT in the temperature range that us human people like to live in is what makes supermagnets unusual.

Hey, if we lived on Pluto, most pure gases like hydrogen or helium would be supermagnetic solids too.

So, the energy in the current permanent supermagnets can be destroyed by heat or by exposure to strong AC fields over a period of time by disarranging the aligned atoms so their rotational fields are randomized.

Think of a laser -- it gets its power by all the light waves waving in the same polarity and frequency and running totally parallel to each other.

A supermagnet gets its power the same way, all atoms having electrons whirling together in the same orientation while locked down in a solidified molecular metallic matrix.  

When solidfied and fixed in this parallel whirl matrix orientation, the normal weak (defined as outside the nucleus) nuclear forces are all running in the same orientation and the projection effects are NOT self-cancelled by its neighbors -- these levels of magnetic forces are there in the natural materials all the time, just not organized.

The force level of a supermagnet is always available in the raw materials all the time, it is just normally randomized and tends to self cancel itself naturally at our normal human operating temperatures.

Did you know that there is always significant amounts of mechanical stress inside the supermagnet since it is always trying to reorient itself to randomize the electron pathways?

The materials that can take a good fix and KEEP it for many years are very rare, iron is not one of these naturally, which is why neodymium and cobalt are needed in the alloy, to give it MORE ABILITY to resist randomization.

So, this supermagnetism is really an expression of an organized weak atomic force sorta like a laser is an expression of an organized weak photonic force.

Thought stretcher time .......

Imagine what you could do with the STRONG nuclear forces down inside the nucleus if this supermagnetism is just an organized projection of a relatively weak nuclear force?

« Last Edit: 10/28/15 at 08:44:26 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/27/15 at 23:54:05

OUCH, I think I pulled a lobe..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:35:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Where does the energy come from?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.