Send Topic Print
My Savage build!! (Read 147 times)
trevorw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My Savage build!!
10/19/15 at 18:02:43

I've always wanted a Savage, ever since I stumbled on the Ryca page I thought, I must have one of these!! So back in May I found this bike on Kijiji.
I picked it up for $1300, and it is a 93 with about 35,000km on it, high I know but I never see these for sale around here and I was itching for another bike!!

My main goal was to get it running good so I could ride for the summer, first off it needed a new front and back tire, so I got those.
Next up I really did not like the handle bars so I picked up a set of drag bars. I knew I really liked the cafe look but I thought maybe ill try something different.

Next up I ripped off the stock muffler and got a revers cone from Dime City Cycles, I also removed the stock air box/filter and relocated the battery (notice the custom battery tie-down!) and added some bar end mirrors. Oh and I painted the header pipe black!!!

I was able to do a trip this summer and although it doesnt really go super fast it cruised good around 110 km/h, I am not in a hurry to die anymore so thats just ok with me, it was an awesome ride but when I got back I decided that the handle bars had to go.
Cash is not something I have a ton of so I have decided I am going to build as much as I can with what I have lying around the garage and what I can get out of the scrap bin at the local metal place!
So clip ons were next.
I used an old piece of muffler for the main body then some 1" tube I had laying around for the grips.

I got one more ride in last week then decided it was time to go for broke and tear the bike down. Before I did this though I made up some risers to raise up the rear end 2" as I am to cheap to buy the 13" shocks! I am pretty sure Ryca used to sell these but I do not see them on the site anymore.
I also decided to start on the rearset bracket, using a picture of the Ryca one as my model first I colored around the holes with a felt marker then pressed a piece of cardboard up against them to mark the hole orientation.
Then I put my hold template over my flatbar and made a shape, my first (left part) attempt didn't go so well... I made up my parts then bolted them onto the frame, then measured the distance from inside to inside and welded in a piece of tube I had. It all fit pretty good!

I took a break from the rear set bracket as I am waiting on the length of the square tube and the dimensions for the part that the rear set bolts onto, and now i really start to take it apart!

I must have spent half an hour looking for this tool, it was here the whole time!!

I made all the cuts that they make on the Ryca bike only I did not take one thing into consideration, I am not going to cut my tank as I do not want to lose any capacity, these tanks do not hold much to begin with so I am going to leave it as is. I am not sure if the frame cuts were measured with the cut tank in mind or not but its cut so I will figure it out!
On to making the seat pan, I cut a piece of plate to 13"x6", then i made a little tab that was 1/2" tall and about 3 1/2" long, i drilled two holes in it and welded it onto the front of the pan, I then lined it up with part that bolts the gas tank down and drilled two matching holes in that, this will serve to hold the seat pan in place at the front. I will use shorter bolts, the ones in the picture were just to make sure it all lined up.
The back mounting system is in the works.

« Last Edit: 10/21/15 at 19:14:34 by trevorw »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My Savage build!!
Reply #1 - 10/20/15 at 10:35:14

It's definitely in the
Cam chain tensioner
,zone.
Unless you're certain that it's been addressed, best to look now. The consequences are nearly always a destroyed engine. You're right at 20,000 miles. And that's about all any have gone. It's about five thousand miles past safe.

ETA

You bought the bike on Kijiji? And used Dollars? Sounds like a place where sea shells might be the local currency. Probably not far from Gilligans island.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
trevorw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/20/15 at 11:40:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/20/15 at 10:35:14:
It's definitely in the
Cam chain tensioner
,zone.
Unless you're certain that it's been addressed, best to look now. The consequences are nearly always a destroyed engine. You're right at 20,000 miles. And that's about all any have gone. It's about five thousand miles past safe.
ETA
You bought the bike on Kijiji? And used Dollars? Sounds like a place where sea shells might be the local currency. Probably not far from Gilligans island.

I have the motor out and will be doing that for sure as well as the clutch and that seal that always leaks up at the top of the engine, you know the one I am talkin about I am sure! $1300 Canadian, Kijiji is a Canadian buy sell and trade site, kinda like craigs list!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/20/15 at 22:36:19

At that mileage, the clutch should be fine.
I'd replace the oring the clutch actuator rod goes through.
Use a magnifying glass, inspect the throw out lever. They have been known to break.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 10/21/15 at 00:42:48

kijiji? where are you?  I'm in surrey, bc

IP Logged
trevorw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/21/15 at 11:05:57

zipidachimp wrote on 10/21/15 at 00:42:48:
kijiji? where are you?  I'm in surrey, bc

I am in Calgary!

IP Logged
trevorw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/21/15 at 11:07:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/20/15 at 22:36:19:
Use a magnifying glass, inspect the throw out lever. They have been known to break.

My cable seems to be maxed out, I am going to be tearing the engine down to do the timing thingamajigger so I figure I mine as well do what I can well its all apart.

IP Logged
trevorw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/21/15 at 11:07:56

trevorw wrote on 10/21/15 at 11:07:11:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/20/15 at 22:36:19:

My cable seems to be maxed out, I am going to be tearing the engine down to do the cam chain thingamajigger so I figure I mine as well do what I can well its all apart.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:19:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Savage build!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.