Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch cable on mini-ape hangers... (Read 72 times)
parkingcoordinator
YaBB Newbies

Clutch cable on mini-ape hangers...
10/14/15 at 09:49:27

This year I put 10" mini apes on my 96' Savage and was able to use all the existing cables.  The clutch cable is down to two threads and I believe that it's a combination of just being old and also possibly the stretch I've put on it.

I'm inclined to order another regular Savage clutch cable knowing that having a new one will be good but has anybody else put an extended cable on with the 10" apes?  

You guys are the best, thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Clutch cable on mini-ape hangers...
Reply #1 - 10/14/15 at 12:26:54

If  you're down to just two threads on the clutch lever, have you looked down on the mount on the side of the motor to see if you can move the cable housing?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
parkingcoordinator
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 10/14/15 at 18:22:14

I'm not quite sure that I understand what you're getting at but I'm not having any troubles moving the clutch and the cable is crimped all the way at the end on both ends.  No slack for me to absorb up on the cable.

Working with another fella at work I was actually able to run a new piece of steel wire through and crimp on some crimps that get the job done for now.  I did order a new OEM cable for all of $25 shipped so I'll replace the temp with that when I receive it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 10/14/15 at 19:54:00

Sounds like a real good idea.
Impressive short term solution.
Be a good time to shift the slick, clutchless way, if you can

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
parkingcoordinator
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 10/15/15 at 00:00:04

Yeah, a couple of the guys were trying to talk me into a taking a ride without the cable installed and just shifting without.  As much fun as that sounds, I'm not trying to put myself in that position... on purpose at least.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 10/15/15 at 17:31:45

From a stop? Just begging to tear something up.. And first to second is hard to get right, up or down.
I could only go clutchless second through fifth and back, well, neutral, but that's not something I needed often.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 10/15/15 at 20:02:34

I'm not a clutchless shifter fan.... I think they have a clutch on the bike for a reason.
I don't race... I time my shifts with revs...but still pull it in.... save wear and tear.....  engine lives longer.... less money spent, or so is my opinion Smiley and you know we all have them Cheesy
As far as using the OEM on a set of ten inchers.... I put a pair of 2+" spacers on my elk horns.... still had cable to spare, even without shifting the cable below the triple tree.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/15/15 at 21:03:51

I understand.. I've been driving standards, synching them up and shifting clutchless going up, double clutching down, and the Savage will, done right, fly through the gears, clutch plates never slipping, clutch throw out not used, except for first and second.. just couldn't synch those up with the precision that made me comfortable.
And I was pinning its ears back . I used the clutch when I was just cruising easy..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/16/15 at 04:10:55

Although I have had motorcycles that shifted OK without the clutch.....they were small displacement dirt bikes.  My Savage doesn't like clutchless shifting, and I don't recommend anyone do it (except in an emergency when you have broken a cable and need to get home).  One day when I was riding the brass end on my clutch cable broke the solder joint and the inner cable was slipping out of the brass ferrule - so I had to ride home without the clutch, and the shifts were not smooth no matter how hard I tried....and the drive train "clunked" every time.  (I have found a much better flux to use when soldering steel to brass and fixed the problem).

I believe the heavy flywheel and heavy crankshaft just makes too much engine inertia, and the engine just doesn't like to change rpm as quickly as is required when you shift without a clutch.  You are asking the engine to instantly change a couple of hundred rpm, and the rotating parts in the Savage are big and heavy and not willing to change rpm instantly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 03:22:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch cable on mini-ape hangers...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.