Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Petcock/Carb vacuum line - size (Read 91 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Petcock/Carb vacuum line - size
10/14/15 at 06:33:07

I need to replace mine to troubleshoot some rough running issues.  Isn't bad as far as I know, but I figured what the heck, probably can't hurt.  Is the line a standard size that I can get by the foot at the local auto parts store?= of do I have to have the special Suzuki flavor?

Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I thought I posted this question last night but didn't see it here this morning....and I am tired and my brain is not working wll yet tis morning.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Petcock/Carb vacuum line - size
Reply #1 - 10/14/15 at 06:40:35

Save your time. Put a Raptor on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Matt_greatlakesstate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midland, MI
Reply #2 - 10/14/15 at 07:33:11

Raptor is 21$ on amazon. I replaced the vacuum petcock at just the hint of it acting up. Didn't even have to take the tank off👍

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 10/14/15 at 07:57:47

For just under thirty you can carry the stock petcock into a real brick and mortar store and Know that you are getting the right part.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #4 - 10/15/15 at 17:29:56

stewmills wrote on 10/14/15 at 06:33:07:
I need to replace mine to troubleshoot some rough running issues.  Isn't bad as far as I know, but I figured what the heck, probably can't hurt.  Is the line a standard size that I can get by the foot at the local auto parts store?= of do I have to have the special Suzuki flavor?

Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I thought I posted this question last night but didn't see it here this morning....and I am tired and my brain is not working wll yet tis morning.

I'm pretty sure it's a standard size. Take the old hose in and they'll tell you. Or if it's Autozone, you can ride your bike there and they'll come outside and look at it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 10/15/15 at 17:52:14

stewmills wrote on 10/14/15 at 06:33:07:

So, the bikes running weird, and you have no indicators that the vacuum line is bad, and, the petcock is notorious for causing weird problems. You can go to the Tech section and test the petcock.
Or, just try putting it on Prime.
Pull the fuel line off of the carb, put it on Prime, see if you have fuel flow.
If so, switch it to Run, the petcock should stop letting fuel through.
Then, if you start it, the gas should come out again. That's probably not recommended. Only someone who knows how to be careful with a running engine AND a fuel leak,,, so, if you do it and burn it down, I didn't say do it. I Did discover how far it would go with the fuel line disconnected accidentally. The bowl on the carb holds enough gas to get it fired up, helmet and gloves on, up the drive, and down to the stop sign.

When did it start acting up? I mean, have you worked on it, or was it right after getting gas,  anything you can blame it on... And, if it's a few years old, test or replace the petcock.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 10/15/15 at 20:37:42

i have tested the petcock and pretty sure that is the culprit, but while i am tackling that i want to go ahead and replace the vacuum line just because. i want the stock and not the raptor because i dont want to have to worry about turning it on and off. i like easy. crank up, ride.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/15/15 at 20:46:50

Understood. Some people just don't want to have to mess with the details, like letting a turbo cool down before shut down,
As long as the carb is healthy, the petcock can be on.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/16/15 at 04:22:30

The stock vacuum petcock can work, and it you want to use that.....Cool!  There are a lot of them out there that work just fine for years.  I think the failures have a lot to do with the type of fuel sold in the area you live, and how long the bike sits between rides.

You do need to be somewhat familiar with what the symptoms are when the vacuum petcock fails, and I would suggest that you put a rubber cap and golf tee in your toolkit....so that if you are out riding and it begins to act up - you can disconnect and plug the vacuum line and put the petcock on PRI so you can get back home.

There are a lot of folks that experience weird running problems and look at the carb, ignition, safety switches, etc.....when it is just the stock petcock diaphragm causing the running problems.  They can either flow too much fuel....or too little fuel, just depends on if the diaphragm has become stiff and doesn't move - or gets a hole in it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 10/16/15 at 11:55:26

Dave wrote on 10/16/15 at 04:22:30:
I would suggest that you put a rubber cap and golf tee in your toolkit....so that if you are out riding and it begins to act up - you can disconnect and plug the vacuum line and put the petcock on PRI so you can get back home.

Now there's a really good suggestion!  I don't golf, but I do happen to have a box of tees down at the shop.  I should use them to make "breakdown kits" and sell them   Grin Grin

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 09:18:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock/Carb vacuum line - size

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.