Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Upgraded brake rotors and calipers (Read 239 times)
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Upgraded brake rotors and calipers
10/07/15 at 11:35:48

I'm currently researching upgraded brake rotor and caliper options for my 97 Savage.   I have read a couple of different threads regarding options, however there does not seem to be any real good options.  Does anyone happen to know of any options?  Thanks

IP Logged
squiggy
YaBB Newbies

Furiously Savage

Michiana
Re: Upgraded brake rotors and calipers
Reply #1 - 10/07/15 at 11:40:41

IP Logged
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Reply #2 - 10/07/15 at 14:15:11

Thanks for the reply.  I have seen these Ryca kits however I am a little turned off.  They look like a cut down stock savage rotor and my concern is if the rotor fails and Ryca is no longer producing these rotors, then I am left with useless parts.  I also would like to stick with a four or six piston Suzuki caliper and possibly a GSXR rotor as to not have a Frankenstein bike and also have readily available replacements.  Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/07/15 at 16:28:42

ShawnRYCA who builds the Big Brake kits is not a part of RYCA.  His name is Shawn, and he once had a RYCA Cafe' bike before it got totaled by a car.  He uses RYCAShawn as his forum name.

The only part in the kit that is specially made from scratch is the bracket to adapt the caliper to the fork.  The caliper is one from a big Japanese motorcycle companies, and they are readily available new or used.  (The squids that own the donor bikes like to crash and total a lot of good bikes.....so there is a good supply).  Brake pads can be purchased off the shelf at almost any bike shop.

The big rotor is also from a big Japanese bike.....with a small amount of machining.

Parts will be easy to get.......except for the adapter that is only available from Shawn.

I have ridden on my big brake from Shawn all year....and it works really well.  I think it looks fine, and I seriously doubt that I will ever wear the rotor out.

Unless you have access to a machine shop or want to change front ends on the bike......you don't have too much to choose from.

« Last Edit: 10/07/15 at 18:19:54 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 10/08/15 at 07:51:06

That is about the only option. I'm on my 2nd Savage AND my 2nd total front brake system failure. Well over half the pad left, swapped in new pads AND completely broke the glaze on the rotor, with no improvement. The stock brake system is a farce at best.

My 1998 has an antique drum front wheel, and that was a 1000 fold improvement over the stock parts. I need to put the 98 rear brake switch into the 03, swap the drum wheel and controls to the 03... Or upgrade the rotor, caliper and master cylinder on the 03. The factory caliper was suspect when Suzuki debuted it in 1969, these days it should be swapped out as soon as you take formal possession of the bike.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #5 - 10/09/15 at 06:37:35

I got the RycaShawn brake kit last week.
I haven't had time to fit it yet.

What I can say though, is that the product is top quality.

Also, Shawn has been a pleasure to deal with, answering all my questions and more, and shipping to the UK wasn't a problem.

Cool

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Reply #6 - 10/09/15 at 07:17:19

Thanks for all the comments.  I am sure that those kits are nice, they look nice.  The ability to walk into a motorcycle shop and purchase a part to get you going is nice to.  Rotors crack and warp and if for whatever reason Shawn isn't making these kits any longer,  then essentially your brake adaptors and parts are useless.

I do have access to a machine shop that a buddy owns, so making parts and adaptors isn't out of the question, however I know my buddy does not have the resources to turn out a rotor, at least not at a reasonable price.  

On a safety side of things, and I'm not saying that Shawn doesn't have a good product, however how much testing and R&D has been done?  His rotor looks like a stock savage rotor that is turned down and modified to hold a larger rotor.  If you were to bolt a stock suzuki part onto your bike, there is a pretty good chance that it is going to hold up and be reliable because of the resources that a place like suzuki or honda, etc has.  Again I'm not saying Shawn doesn't have a good product but let's face it, brakes are a pretty big deal.

I know that I'll have to do modifications and have a caliper adaptor made, however it would be nice to have the ability to purchase a "wear" item and not have to wait on a custom made one.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/09/15 at 08:29:57

Honda-redrider wrote on 10/09/15 at 07:17:19:
Rotors crack and warp and if for whatever reason Shawn isn't making these kits any longer,  then essentially your brake adaptors and parts are useless.

The Brake Rotor is from a production bike, and any machine shop can easily make the change to the production rotor that is needed.  I really can't see anyone wearing this rotor out on a Savage...the bike just isn't heavy enough and doesn't go fast enough to put any thermal stress on this big rotor.....we are not riding a 175 mph sport bike, a muscle bike, or a big heavy touring bike.  If you do track events on your Savage....maybe you could wear a disc out - but you will never do it on the street.

The caliper is from a production sport bike, and is reliable and easily replaceable, as are the pins, pads, etc.

The only 2 special parts are the aluminum adapter, and the modified stock disc used as the brake center....not sure what you are going to do to break them.  Let's say the bike is crashed and they are damaged....well that means you either get replacements from Shawn if he still makes them, or you have your machine shop duplicate them - or you end up exactly where you are now - with the stock brake and a desire to have something better.

Obviously you are not going to be one of Shawn's clients - but for a lot of us it is has proven to be an excellent choice, at a bargain price, and the best brake we will ever have on the front of our Savage.  The "what if I wear out or need" issue has not been a problem for me, as I know where the disc and caliper have come from, and I can get a replacement very easily.  And if it proves I can't get replacement parts in the future........I most likely will have gotten years of service out of the kit and not regret the price I paid for the kit.  

IP Logged
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Reply #8 - 10/09/15 at 08:53:45

Please forgive me but I guess I didn't realize the brake part of the rotor is from a production bike.  That makes this quite a bit more appealing to me.  What bike is the rotor from?  The calipers look to be yamaha, probably R1 or R6 I'm assuming.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/09/15 at 10:04:05

The rotor is from a bike similar to the GSXR that you mentioned - but it is not GSXR and it is readily available.  Unless you get careless and wear out your pads and do some metal pads on metal disc stops - most likely you will never need a replacement.

I switched the original factory pads to EBC organic pads so I could be easy on the rotor disc, and they are working very well and provides smooth, predictable braking.

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #10 - 10/10/15 at 07:31:48

Honda-redrider wrote on 10/09/15 at 07:17:19:
Thanks for all the comments.  I am sure that those kits are nice, they look nice.  The ability to walk into a motorcycle shop and purchase a part to get you going is nice to.  Rotors crack and warp and if for whatever reason Shawn isn't making these kits any longer,  then essentially your brake adaptors and parts are useless.

I do have access to a machine shop that a buddy owns, so making parts and adaptors isn't out of the question, however I know my buddy does not have the resources to turn out a rotor, at least not at a reasonable price.  

On a safety side of things, and I'm not saying that Shawn doesn't have a good product, however how much testing and R&D has been done?  His rotor looks like a stock savage rotor that is turned down and modified to hold a larger rotor.  If you were to bolt a stock suzuki part onto your bike, there is a pretty good chance that it is going to hold up and be reliable because of the resources that a place like suzuki or honda, etc has.  Again I'm not saying Shawn doesn't have a good product but let's face it, brakes are a pretty big deal.

I know that I'll have to do modifications and have a caliper adaptor made, however it would be nice to have the ability to purchase a "wear" item and not have to wait on a custom made one.

You mean like Suzuki's cam chain adjuster? You already have a brake that's been designed and tested with all the resources of Suzuki and find it lacking.

IP Logged
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Reply #11 - 10/10/15 at 07:39:35

Drestakil,
You got me there...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/10/15 at 07:56:44

The thing we often lose sight of.....is the Savage is an entry level bike.  It is the cheapest cruiser that they offer, and the only cheaper road bikes that Suzuki offers is the TU250 and GW250.

Suzuki most likely can't provide upgrades on the Savage without price increases.  At $ 5,499 list for the Savage, the next available performance upgrade is the SFV 650 at $ 7,699.....for an extra $2,200 you get more performance and better parts.

So...those of us who like the Savage for what it is (and what is could be) we really don't mind making some upgrades to make the bike a bit better suited to us.  The stock brakes are OK - I have chased Oldfeller and MMRanch around the Dragon and Cherohala, and watched their rotors turn bluish purple - but the brakes have never failed to function or fade away......they do an adequate job when working properly.  I rode with my stock brake for several years and believe it will do the job fine - but I like my new Big Brake a lot better!

IP Logged
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Reply #13 - 10/10/15 at 08:17:26

Honestly, with the exception of the cam chain tensioner these are a solid little bike.  I bought mine from my brother in law as a gas saver and was pretty surprised that I actually liked it.  My first road bike was a CBR 600 and once I bought my first liter bike I swore I'd never buy another smaller bike.  Two years later I find myself still riding this thing (well up untill about three month ago) and still enjoy it, I just have that itch to customize it, rather make it mine.  With that said, I have a different tank for it and some other parts however the brakes were something I never liked, obviously going from a twin disc sport bike brake it is understandable why.  I'm not trying to make some kind of sport bike out of this 650 however I have a slew of sport bike parts and brake rotors and calipers are just some of the parts so if I could use them it would be great.  

I wasn't trying to start an argument here or anything like that, I more than anything was wanting other savage/s40 owner opinions on options.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 10/10/15 at 10:57:09

One of our members has a dual front disc. I saw a pic on here a year or two ago. I guess anything's possible.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 11:48:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Upgraded brake rotors and calipers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.