Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
nickythegreek's s40 (voodoo vintage chopper) (Read 2785 times)
nickythegreek

nickythegreek's s40 (voodoo vintage chopper)
07/07/14 at 09:11:37

Hello everyone,  I am a 32 year old from Columbus, Ohio. I got my first motorcycle last fall after I had my last moped stolen, and I can't thank whatever jackass did that enough!  My interest in motorcycles came from my father, who passed away from lung cancer a few years back.  I inherited alot of motorcycle gear from him and wanted to finally put it to some use. I am a short dude (~5'3" and 130 lbs). So I purchased a '06 s40 from a local used dealership at an insane markup (lesson learned).  I was between the honda rebel and the s40 as my first bike, both would be great starter bikes for a guy my size. Luckily I made the right decision and went with the Suzuki. I have tried to include links throughout this post to the exact items that I have used during the maintenance and modification of my s40. My Amazon Prime account has gotten a workout!

I mostly ride around with some Harley chopper friends, and their influence has been growing on me.  They rent a little garage space (drone footage) at a local motorcycle shop/compound (Rice Paddy) where we go to work on our bikes.  Between this forum and their expertise, my s40 has taken over my life.

I wanted to start this thread so that I can share my experiences and photos with the community.   I am a techie by nature, but wanted to expand my knowledge into mechanics and the s40 was the perfect bike to assist with that.

Prior to my s40, most of the mechanical work I have done was on my 3d printer.  I am also working on some custom 3d printed parts for my bike as well that I hope to share with the community. I am also a Google Glass Explorer, and hope to give back to the community by making some how-to videos.

I regularly share my motocamping and modding experiences on my instagram.

And now for the photos...

This is my Tomos toptank that was stolen and set me on my current course.

2 weeks later, I had myself a stock '06 s40 with 2500 miles.

First 3d printed mod for my s40 was a throttle lock. This little guy has been very helpful on some long trips. It seems like the forums are not setup to allow instagram video embeds, so click hereto see how this guy operates.  If you have a 3d Printer, this design is freely available to use for non commercial applications by it's designer on thingiverse.

First mod I did to the bike was to replace the rear turn signals.  I'll get to the front ones later this year. This was needed due to me dropping the bike after hitting a patch of oil in a parking lot and snapping the rear right signal... man those OEM signals are trash! I ended up going with these aftermarket turn signals from amazon. They are still blinking double speed (I think due to me double-grounding them by accident). I'll have to fix that at some point. I got an AMAZING tip from a local savage owner that I do not think is documented on this site.  You can get the above signals to mount up the stock rails real easy using a cheap 12mm brad T-nut (I got mine from Ace Hardware)! I bet this would work with many other aftermarket signals as well.

I got sissybar jealousy from all of my buddies choppers.  Riding season was about to start and we had several trips planned.  I needed a way to strap gear down and I am not really interested in cluttering up the bike with a bunch of big bags. So I picked up the OEM rails/sissy from a member of the forum for a good price.  

Time for my first long trip!  We headed out to Kentucky for Ramble Tamble.  This was an important test run for me, as I wanted to see how a stock bike handled this 4 hour trip so that I had a baseline to compare future modifications to. Prior to this trip, I went ahead and replaced the oil.  After researching this on these forums, I settled with Rotella T6 with Redline ZDDP Booster.

Next it was time to tackle the muffler replacement.  I ended up using the Dyna w/Cobra t-clamp & heat shield following the guides on the forum. I shimmed it with folded aluminum foil  after several failed attempts at the tin can method. Sexy camo leather tool roll by clawkeeper.

We had a local motorcycle show here in Columbus called Pinned Ohio at the local bike compound. So I decided to use it as a chance to get better at flying my Parrot 2 drone. Ended up crashing it twice and causing some damage that I have not yet repaired! Clip1 Clip2

Next important mod: red glitter dice

Goodbye front fender. Roadtrip to Apple Valley with my buddies. Ironhead, Evo, S40, CB750.

Google Glass footage of us bumming around Columbus.

Road trip! Needed a taller sissy.  Found an old sissy at Rice Paddy, cut it up and had a buddy TIG it to the stock sissy. Ditched the belt cover and right mirror.  Replaced left mirror with slimmer one from RYCA. Removed badging from tank and side covers.

Belt squeaking. Wanted to shave down the outer edge of the belt at a 45 degree angle with a dremel and attempt to realign read tire. Front brake pads need replaced. Went with EBC FA106 pads. Gonna need a bike stand. Thank you forums!

Finally got the wife on the bike! Bell Custom 500 helmet with Vega Echo Shorty snap shield.

Feeling pretty confident working on the bike now.  Time to mod the air filter and rejet.  Purchased Lancer's jetset kit, K&N RC-1250 as well as a K&N 62-1090 vent filter for the crankcase breather hose. Don't forget to pickup the air filter service kit like I did. Ripped out the air box and rejetted to a 152.5 main, 55 pilot, 2 washers on needle. Completely stripped the nuts out of the fuel mixture screw, over torquing and snapping a battery case bolt and a front pulley cover bolt. Those are problems for another day!

I really like how much space was opened up after removing the air box.  The induction noise at 3/4 throttle on the pod filter is pretty nice but it does a whistle noise at around 1/3 throttle that I am not to found of.

Picked up a pair of Biltwell Keystones from a swap meet for $20 that had been cut down an inch or 2. I'm thinking about taking off another inch from each side. I used the top ends of the stock s40 risers bar with some random 1" spacers I found in a spacer junk bin at Rice Paddy.  I used a dremel to shave off the alignment pin in the controls so they would work with the new bars. They cleared the tank and no rerouting or cable replacement was necessary! (phew).  I ended up replacing the grips with a pair of Chocolate Biltwell Thrusters (not pictured). I can almost call this baby a chopper now! I'd like to replace the risers or spacers to get another 1/2"-1" outta them for comfort.

During the rest of the year, I have several other mods planned out.  Next is ripping out the battery box and relocating to the exhaust rack. I have an EarthX ETX12A on the way.  I purchased it from warpoffroad using the 10% discount code (AZOP10) that I found in these forums. After that, I hope to tackle slimming, reshaping and recovering the stock seat. I still need to replace the front turn signals and replace my destroyed fuel mixture screw so that I can continue to tune. I purchased a Raptor petcock replacement awhile ago, but havent gotten around to installing it yet.  I'll probably fix my speedo rattle at the same time. I'd like to with some 4 over tubes, or maybe just switch out the front end so that I can do a 21" front tire... decisions decisions.  None of this could of been possible without the guidance of this forum!

And now some shots from my Fourth of July weekend.

We plan on hitting up a couple other events this summer, such as the lowbrow getdown and hood bush.  It seems I am normally the only Big Single in a sea of Harley choppers! I'll try and continue to update this thread with my mods, 3d prints and trip photos.

« Last Edit: 04/02/15 at 09:04:52 by nickythegreek »  
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: nickythegreek's s40
Reply #1 - 07/07/14 at 11:34:12

Cool stuff...  Thanks for the pics...
Looks like a great place to be... Cool...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #2 - 07/07/14 at 14:33:33

Looks like you found a full bottle of ÜberCool and drank the whole thing!  Cool  Love the Ohio swallowtail burgee; I've been flying one on a new 25' pole in front of the house for a year now.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #3 - 07/07/14 at 18:20:18

Cool pics, man. Looking forward to more!

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/07/14 at 18:28:52

Cool.....a man enjoying his motorcycle and riding the wheels off it.

Don't let them go out of your life for 35 years like I did.....I missed a lot!

But I am back!

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 07/08/14 at 05:21:25

You won't be the only single at the Lowbrow Getdown.That's only about half hour ride for me.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 07/08/14 at 06:41:46

Welcome to the ride...
I thihnk you out-WD'd WD.

I am so jealous fo the 3D printer work.. been wnating to play withone.. but too chicken to actually spend the money.

PS: Seems to me YOUR S40 is cooler than the HD's

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 07/08/14 at 11:56:47

Lookin' good! Sounds like your summer is going to be filled with ridin' and fun!
Also a Glass Explorer here, how your heat shooting videos? mine heats up at about the 4 minute mark to where I have to shut it down.
Got the newest 18.3 update and battery life has improved tremendously, but the over heat on videos is driving me nutz.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #8 - 07/08/14 at 14:43:23

Looking good, Nicky! I follow on instagram as well, but its great to see and read the details of the mods.

And down here in Arkansas everyone rides uber large v twins and I am always the smallest dude on the smallest bike.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #9 - 07/08/14 at 19:34:39

old_rider wrote on 07/08/14 at 11:56:47:
Lookin' good! Sounds like your summer is going to be filled with ridin' and fun!
Also a Glass Explorer here, how your heat shooting videos? mine heats up at about the 4 minute mark to where I have to shut it down.
Got the newest 18.3 update and battery life has improved tremendously, but the over heat on videos is driving me nutz.

I can drain the full battery if I am on the bike without a helmet. I don't do much long form recording though.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 07/09/14 at 09:19:39

Pine wrote on 07/08/14 at 06:41:46:
Welcome to the ride...
I thihnk you out-WD'd WD.

Grin

Naw, his chick stick isn't high enough...

Looking good so far NtG.

If you make it to the LowBrow get together, flip them the bird for me. Both parts orders I've gotten were crap. Levers shipped w/o cable end docking lugs (required, have to source them elsewhere) and the lenses for my rear signals melted (replaced them with glass lenses, again sourced elsewhere). Won't be buying much (if anything) else from them, can mostly get the rest of what I need cheaper, with lower shipping costs, from a vintage tractor parts house (fabric covered wire, real coil and plug lead, wiring connectors, seat hardware, etc).  The rest from Motorcycle Superstore or J&P Cycles.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #11 - 07/09/14 at 14:44:11

that sucks WD. ive ordered some minor things: handlebars, grips, etc from them and had no issues.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #12 - 11/25/14 at 18:36:33

Snow has fallen in Ohio and it is time for the winter project. But first, some filler...

HoodBush was an awesome time.

I ended up throwing on a pair of fabbed hard struts for the remainder of the summer.

Bike ran great all summer without issue, even after I laid her down twice.  Buddies got an expansion on their garage space and I moved in.

Time to start tearing down the s40.

Naked frame and my  voodoo vintage weld on hardtail.

Frame cut and hardtail just resting for a little mockup before I headed home.

Hope to get the hardtail done soon and then I'm  gonna be on the hunt for some more parts. Voodoo Vintage makes a Harley front end adapter that I am thinking about to allow a 21" front tire and open up my options. Hope to procure an 18" rear as well. I'll probably use tc brothers fake oil tank for the electronics.

I'll document the rest along the way.

WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 11/26/14 at 03:47:26

Looks like you have a productive winter ahead Nickey  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #14 - 11/26/14 at 08:09:36

Been following your posts on IG, looks like you've had lots of fun. Can't wait to see this conversion with the King/Queen seat as well.  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 06:20:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › nickythegreek's s40 (voodoo vintage chopper)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.