Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
LED lighting questions , and hopefully, answers (Read 453 times)
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Re: LED lighting questions , and hopefully, answer
Reply #15 - 10/01/15 at 15:23:07

Dave, so far as I know, our electrical system is balanced (as best as it can be) and if you swapped out all of the lighting with LEDs, the rectifier would likely cook pretty quickly.

So, the front turn signal has a dual filament 1157 incandescent bulb that draws (or uses) 8 watts of energy for the running light and 27 watts for the turn signal. This is not "output" watts , as in a measure of brightness...it's a power consumption rating.

A 1.5 watt LED will emit about as much light as an 8 watt glass bulb. Since it only uses 1.5 watts, the rectifier has to burn off the remainder in order to "balance" the system as designed. The load resistor takes the rectifiers place by taking the 6.5 watts that is not being used anymore (due to the new LED) and burning it off as heat. Basically, these power resistors that come with LED light kits are just tiny heaters. This fakes the system into thinking the glass 8 watt bulb is still in place. The benefit of course, is that the LED is much more resistant to vibration and it's lifespan may well exceed the bike itself. The downside is that you have to find a spot to put these load resistors, and that there is no "saved" energy.

MY goal is to put that 1.5 watt LED in place, and then use the 6.5 watts for MORE lighting rather than wasting it as heat through the resistors. That electrical line still see's 8 watts being used and so it is happy, but you get to add additional running lights or driving lights at no cost to the system. If that makes any sense...

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 10/01/15 at 18:14:40

Well....maybe I should be more worried about my rectifier.

I have no running lights, an LED tail light, 2 small LED license plate lights, and my Silverstar 55/60 Watt headlight bulb.  I have an Earth-X lithium Ion battery.

I really don't have much of anyplace to add any lighting on the Cafe bike.  Maybe I need electric socks?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #17 - 10/01/15 at 19:43:09

Or heated grips for those really cold days.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #18 - 10/02/15 at 12:15:01

I'm not an expert on the electrical system of this bike....I just have quite a bit of electronics/electrical experience and can only draw conclusions from the info available.

It seems to reason that if the bike produces 100-125 watts while running at 45 mph in 4th gear, and all original equipment is installed....that whatever is not being used by the bike to keep it running and keep the assorted lights on is being used to keep the battery charged. Anything not used by the battery is burned off as heat from the regulator/rectifier.

Simple math says that an all-original equipment Savage uses roughly 80-90 watts just driving down the road at 45 mph. any additional power generated by the bike that is not used is sent to the rectifier/regulator where it is burned off as heat.
Worst case scenario happens when the high beam is on, turn signal is on, and brake light comes on. In that situation very little power is left to go toward charging the battery, but seeing as this condition only happens for short periods of time....it isnt an issue.

So if your bike is stripped of most of the stock lighting, then you are sending more power to the battery charging circuit....and what cant be used there, is being burned off by the R/R. Could this condition "overcharge" the battery? I really dont know enough about the charging circuit to answer that. Will the unused power cause a pre-mature failure of the R/R due to it overheating? Again, I cant swear that it will....but science and logic says that if the R/R is designed to handle between 25-35 watts of excess power, and you are forcing it to deal with over 50 watts.....that could be an issue.

Do the guys at Ryca have any input on the Regulator circuit for naked bikes and conversions that remove most of the stock lighting?

I know from experience that LiIon batteries (or any battery really) does not like to be over-charged. Have you ever put a meter across the battery while the bike was running to see how much voltage is there?

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 10/03/15 at 00:30:33

Remember that the problem for the r/r isn't the excess wattage, it's the heat.  Even a little bit of excess wattage can cause the r/r to heat up.  If you can dissipate that heat properly then it doesn't really matter how much lighting or other electrical components you remove. You just need to be sure your dissipating the heat effectively to deal with that.  Most of those conversion savages have the r/r relocated to a place that allows for very good dissipation so I really don't think it's a problem for those.  

The r/r isn't prone to fail, but it does happen.  The r/r is designed to deal with high temperature condition but the internal components can't withstand it for extended periods.  The length of time the r/r is subjected to a high temp condition is the deciding factor.  If you have the right combination of factors you're set for failure.  Too high idle speed, too long idling, enough electrical components removed, any restriction of airflow/ventilation, etc...All of that over months and years and you may end up with failure.  The r/r is very durable as long as you have proper cooling.  The hotter you run it the more airflow you need.  My take anyway.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #20 - 10/03/15 at 02:30:07

The information that Stu has worked out about the amount of watts is really useful - I have wondered how much over-capicty a stock savage has for quite a while.
I also think rectifiers may possibly be able to handle a fair amount of excess power. If I think of other bikes I have owned - they usually didn't have an "always on" headlight. Thus there was quite a differentiation in running watts - during daytime running (no headlight, rear on brake only) vs nighttime running (headlight and tail light on). I hear of people cooking rectifiers but have never met anyone. I think rectifier failure may be mostly down to shorting. However others know much more than me, so am all ears on this thread, as am literally in the middle of rewiring my savage and will take your knowledge on board.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 10/06/15 at 04:18:50

I was fussing around with the seat and working on mounting saddlebags, and it occurred to me that the finned portion of the rectifier most likely doesn't get a lot of air flow under the seat.  I believe that most of the cooling for the rectifier comes from being bolted to that massive rear fender - which acts like a heat sink to absorb heat from the rectifier.

I would think the folks who are most apt to have trouble with overheating would be the modified bikes that tuck the rectifier out of sight and don't bolt it to something that can pull the heat away.

I have the rectifier bolted to a piece of sheet metal that I made into a battery box.....I need to reach down and feel how warm/hot that gets when I am riding - I have never done that....and I should try that on both the stock and Cafe' bikes and see if I can notice a difference.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 10/06/15 at 04:37:41

I've seen the square mounting point on the fender referred to as the regulator rectifier heat sink.  I don't remember if it was in the owner's manual, the Clymer manual, a parts guide, or somewhere else, but you're right about it.  I think that's the reason mine was cooked.  The PO had added saddlebags to the bike and just remounted the r/r to the saddlebag yoke.  There was a lot of heat build up there.  So much so that I couldn't touch it bare handed after running awhile. It had even melted the laces on the yoke.  When I replaced it I modified the yoke and made a space for it to be mounted to the fender again.  So far so good.  It'll get really warm but not hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #23 - 10/06/15 at 08:49:24

I'm not sure about the heat sink theory.  The fender is steel, which is not a great heat conductor.  When I installed my sportster seat, I moved my R/R to lower on the fender and secured it with a zip tie.  All electronics were kept stock for a while until I swap for a much smaller AGM battery (much lower CCA, needs much more charging).  I checked it for heat, but only ever gets a bit warm.

My guess is it's cooled more by airflow than anything else. Just my $0.02.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - 10/06/15 at 13:42:50

HondaLavis wrote on 10/06/15 at 08:49:24:
I'm not sure about the heat sink theory.  The fender is steel, which is not a great heat conductor.  

At the risk of seeming argumentative, I'd have to disagree with you on this.  To say that steel isn't a good conductor of heat is just incorrect.  I mean, you could make the argument that when comparing steel to silver or copper that steel isn't as good, but you could also make the argument that steel is a great heat conductor when compared to tin or iron or most other materials.  You could also make an argument that some types of steel are better than others.  For example the steel in our fender is a much better heat conductor than stainless steel.

The bottom line is, the steel in our fender is a good heat conductor, and the design of the fender makes even better.  I mean, we wouldn't expect great heat dissipation for the r/r sitting it on top of a stationary 20lb block of steel, but the Savage fender is relatively thin sheet that has consistent high velocity airflow.  

That's my 2˘ but don't take my word for it there's plenty of science out there on this.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 10/06/15 at 14:28:22

chzeckmate wrote on 10/06/15 at 13:42:50:
HondaLavis wrote on 10/06/15 at 08:49:24:
I'm not sure about the heat sink theory.  The fender is steel, which is not a great heat conductor.  

At the risk of seeming argumentative, I'd have to disagree with you on this.  To say that steel isn't a good conductor of heat is just incorrect.  I mean, you could make the argument that when comparing steel to silver or copper that steel isn't as good, but you could also make the argument that steel is a great heat conductor when compared to tin or iron or most other materials.  You could also make an argument that some types of steel are better than others.  For example the steel in our fender is a much better heat conductor than stainless steel.

The bottom line is, the steel in our fender is a good heat conductor, and the design of the fender makes even better.  I mean, we wouldn't expect great heat dissipation for the r/r sitting it on top of a stationary 20lb block of steel, but the Savage fender is relatively thin sheet that has consistent high velocity airflow.  

That's my 2˘ but don't take my word for it there's plenty of science out there on this.

Ever put your hand on top of a car sitting out in the sun?
Betcha it felt hot.

Do the same for the window.
Now there's a poor conductor.

WWW   IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #26 - 10/06/15 at 16:32:53

verslagen1 wrote on 10/06/15 at 14:28:22:
Ever put your hand on top of a car sitting out in the sun?
Betcha it felt hot.

Do the same for the window.
Now there's a poor conductor.

Succinctly stated  Wink

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #27 - 10/07/15 at 12:16:08

I don't want to completely derail this thread, but I'll make this counterpoint:  There is far more convection capacity going over the R/R than there is conduction through the fender.  Yes, the thermal conductivity of steel can very greatly due to composition and type, but sitting in the sun is an entirely different ball game.  That is absorbing light energy which is not reflecting it, and storing it as heat.

I mean, they make heat shields out of steel, right?  I figure there's got to be a reason the R/R has all those fins.

So if we replace all of the lights with LED's, we can just install driving lights, hand warmers, a cell phone charger, accent lights...  I dont see any down side!  Grin  If you tear the bike down to a bare minimum electrical, how hot DOES the R/R get?  What does it take to fry it?  Can we add some kind of secondary cooling like submerging it in liquid or running a fan over it?  Maybe the power required to run the fan will be enough to get it in a safe range. lol

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 10/07/15 at 12:24:53

I do believe the fins were cast into the rectifier for cooling - but then Suzuki hid it underneath a seat that most likely restricts the air flow considerably.

I also believe the fender is intended to be a heat sink, as Suzuki made a nice flat spot on the fender so it could be in full contact with the fender.  Even painted steel does a good job of moving heat around, and the Savage rear fender certainly has some thermal "mass" to it.

How hot does it get....dunno - I never really thought about it before.

If the folks who are hiding their rectifier in the plastic air cleaner box aren't overheating them.....I guess the rest of us don't have much to worry about.

Most likely when Boogie with Stu actually starts testing and reporting...he should open up a new thread and not get all this rectifier discussion in his test.

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #29 - 10/07/15 at 20:33:02

If you think about it, when that tire is whipping around when you are moving at cruising speed, that will cause a hell of a windstorm under that fender.  If it is hot, the metal will be cool.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:22:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED lighting questions , and hopefully, answers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.