Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How to pick up a full dresser (Read 222 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: How to pick up a full dresser
Reply #15 - 09/30/15 at 18:27:30

Steve ,I appreciate the time you spent typing that, putting in links, all of it,

BUT, I don't understand anything about what you said..
Can you go a little bit more
Readers Digest
on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #16 - 09/30/15 at 18:35:24

Kris01 wrote on 09/30/15 at 16:06:37:
There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity. If my bike was down and dripping gas, I'd still pick it up. I'd rather it burn with me trying "something" than let it lay there with me just watching.

Which side of the line does that put me?

LOL, on my side Smiley  but like jog said, don't JUMP into it... I did, panic of the gas dripping on the hot engine, i grabbed and jerked..... busted a vertebrae in my back.
If I had it to do again, I would probably had tried to lift it...correctly, and if I could not get it upright.... I would have let it burn... its only property.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 09/30/15 at 19:03:51

If it's running, it might light. Takes about 500 degrees of non flame temperature. To light it.
If it's dropped, shut off, and drips fuel. I'd expect the first drop to ignite, or, it won't. See fire, look for loose dirt, your coat, shirt,
If you aren't winning, get away.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #18 - 09/30/15 at 20:06:09

old_rider wrote on 09/30/15 at 18:35:24:
don't JUMP into it... I did, panic of the gas dripping on the hot engine, i grabbed and jerked..... busted a vertebrae in my back.

Agreed. Safety first. Buying a new bike is waaay cheaper than buying a new back!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 09/30/15 at 22:06:35

One, of the many, reasons I like my Savage,.. is I can lift it without thinking...
...because,.. I do tend to be accident prone... and in the adrenalin moment... I will, lift the bike bike back up...
I won't consider anything...
I will just try to undo what just happened... and that includes up-righting the bike...
I've done it with bikes up to 600lbs...
It ain't muscle,.. it's adrenalin...

350lbs is way better...

When the lizard brain's talkin'... consequences  are a walkin'...
When you crash... you don't think... you just do it...
Thinkin' comes later...
I shouldn't a'.. comes later...  D...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 10/01/15 at 03:51:32

I know he's right. I bounced mine, so slow I was standing , legs spread, bent over, grabbed the bars and stood it up,sat down.
A dose of pisstawff goes a long way.

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #21 - 10/06/15 at 18:31:56

After my drop a couple or three weeks ago, I recommend getting past the pissed off / adrenalin stage first, then pick it up.

I yanked the S40 up twice in a row by the bars, pretty much in anger and without preparation or thinking. My lower back is still feeling it. Even if you bend your legs and lift with them while gripping the bars, your spine is misaligned and you are wanking it.

It is probably very easy to lift a Savage with the butt-on-the-seat and lift-with-legs technique. A Savage is just light enough where you can lift it by the bars, but just because you can doesn't mean it's the smart way to do it.

I move heavy amplifiers and PA equipment all the time, and always use my legs with the back as straight as possible. But after decades of doing it, my lower back is not in great shape by any means. Yanking up the S40 was a dumbass stunt.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 10/07/15 at 13:07:18

Yeah.... panic and adrenaline didn't help me, cause the bones were not good enough to handle the load.

Here is a picture of the load (from the back)....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #23 - 10/07/15 at 14:09:27

That looks a wee bit tippy, all right.

Going over with a load like that, the thing to do would be to pitch the pup tent and think about it, then lift it back on its rubber side.   Lips Sealed

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #24 - 10/07/15 at 19:05:30

Sonny wrote on 10/07/15 at 14:09:27:
That looks a wee bit tippy, all right.

Going over with a load like that, the thing to do would be to pitch the pup tent and think about it, then lift it back on its rubber side.   Lips Sealed

Gadzukes! now why didn't I think of that? Shocked

I will have to agree with most folks though... I did not "THINK"... I just did.... and my health was not up to snuff....
I will not bow to weakness....  and THAT is my down fall  Embarrassed

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #25 - 10/07/15 at 19:15:14

Sheyte that is a load.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #26 - 10/12/15 at 08:43:27

a little word of advice from a guy who lifts heavy s*** for recreation
if you have to lift a heavy load take a good breath and hold it while you lift it's like the difference between airing a tire up or running on a flat it'll save your back I actually lifted my whole bike off the back of a pickup and believe me I had a belly full when I did it

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #27 - 10/12/15 at 09:01:51

Thanks Art -- good advice. I actually yanked mine up while spewing profanity and ignoring everything I knew about proper lifting. Ouch. Bad technique in every way.  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 10/13/15 at 18:15:02

Sonny, you just don't know the best words. You use the right words and stuff gets almost fifty percent lighter for three or four seconds.

Makes sense, taking a deep breath, inflate the front, help load the torso, protecting the back. But, primarily, consider the lower back.
If you built a crane and ran the cable to lift the mast only three inches above the mast pivot, the bearing pressures at the shaft the mast pivots on would be insane. SO, bending over and lifting is really putting crushing pressures on the discs in your back.  Gotta bend knees.
Being old, sixty, and with a knee that will just go out, both rotator scuffles damaged, I do things slowly but carefully. A rope on a load, around my waist, and lift and walk backwards slowly..  Slow is better than further damage.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #29 - 10/13/15 at 18:25:48

well the problem is that people do bend over
The proper way to lift from the floor is to push the hips back so that your shoulders remain over your knees
Going too low to lift with the legs put undue strain on the knees and will wreck them
If you want to know the safest way to lift something ask a powerlifter
Shoulders BACK and DOWN when bench pressing
Hips BACK to deadlift
Back locked in NEUTRAL SPINE  for all lower body lifts

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:23:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › How to pick up a full dresser