Dead horn (Read 168 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Dead horn
Reply #15 - 10/15/15 at 04:00:51

If you go with a double horn setup, you'll be pulling at least twice as much current as the circuit is designed to handle.  It may hinder the longevity of the horn button running that much current through it.

Even a single replacement horn, unless a motorcycle horn, will probably take a good bit more current.

That's the reason for the relay. It's to make sure you don't overload the factory circuit.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #16 - 10/15/15 at 07:36:59

I'm not so sure about that. Most of the dual snail horns I've used come with a 15 or 20 amp fuse. That would seem to indicate that they aren't going to draw more than the factory wiring is capable of handling.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #17 - 10/15/15 at 08:02:26

I've seen several posts on other forums (both bike and car) where they noticed much more volume from the horns after including the relay.
Just another thing to consider and maybe weight for the argument that the switch may be a bottleneck for power supply.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 10/15/15 at 08:58:42

Maybe, but our wiring is so simple that I shouldn't expect a bottleneck. I'll bump the horns directly off the battery and compare the volume after I install them without the relay. If there's a noticeable difference I'll add the relay and maybe heavier gauge wire. I'm pretty confident the relay isn't necessary. I mean, if you think about it, I burned out the coil on the stock horn...seems like there's some current there.  We'll see. I'll record everything and post when I'm done. This will be fun Smiley

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #19 - 10/15/15 at 10:23:16

chzeckmate wrote on 10/15/15 at 08:58:42:
Maybe, but our wiring is so simple that I shouldn't expect a bottleneck. I'll bump the horns directly off the battery and compare the volume after I install them without the relay. If there's a noticeable difference I'll add the relay and maybe heavier gauge wire. I'm pretty confident the relay isn't necessary. I mean, if you think about it, I burned out the coil on the stock horn...seems like there's some current there.  We'll see. I'll record everything and post when I'm done. This will be fun Smiley

the coil of the relay draws less current than the horn(s)
contacts of the switch are not rated for the higher current draw of dual horns
installing a fuse on the neg of the switch will not keep the points of the switch from failing

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #20 - 10/15/15 at 13:04:23

thumperclone wrote on 10/15/15 at 10:23:16:
the coil of the relay draws less current than the horn(s)
contacts of the switch are not rated for the higher current draw of dual horns
installing a fuse on the neg of the switch will not keep the points of the switch from failing

I understand that the relay draws less current.
As for the contacts of the switch not being rated for the current of the dual horns, I don't think that has been established.  I'd like the source where you pulled the specs for the horn switch from if you wouldn't mind sharing that info.  I'm assuming that the stock switch is fine considering that the dual horns come with 10, 15, or 20 amp inline fuses respectively. The fact that the switch carries enough current to burn out the stock horn's voice coil is also a good indicator.
I would be installing the inline fuses on the ground of the snail horns.  It's understood that putting a fuse on the switch itself would be useless.  
I'm very eager to have your source for the specs of the horn switch.  Those details would be very enlightening.  Please do let us know.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #21 - 10/15/15 at 15:10:07

experience
I installed an automobile horn on my bike Embarrassed

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 10/16/15 at 00:21:08

thumperclone wrote on 10/15/15 at 15:10:07:
experience
I installed an automobile horn on my bike Embarrassed

Anecdotes are fascinating, but they aren't data.  I'll do the legwork on this and get some real numbers posted for everyone.  I've got this on my action item list for next week.  I do appreciate the advice though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 05:17:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dead horn

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.