Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hey all! New S40 Owner :D (Read 220 times)
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Re: Hey all! New S40 Owner :D
Reply #15 - 09/23/15 at 15:34:18

Congratulations! 300 miles is a pretty good trip on a stock S40. I wouldn't want to do it. The windshield is going to make a lot of difference in riding comfort. You'll be able to relax a little more. I couldn't handle the stock seat on mine so I rebuilt it with info learned at http://diymotorcycleseat.com/. More comfort and able to sit further back and a little higher for more leg room. Others on here have replaced the seat with something from a different bike. A lot of us have also upgraded the rear shocks for a smoother ride. It's nice to work on your own ride.

I usually fill up every time the odometer turns over another 100 miles. Just the easiest way for me to remember and I never have to switch to reserve, unless there's no station for another 20 or so miles.

Thanks for the update. Smiley

IP Logged
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Reply #16 - 09/23/15 at 19:18:50

Also, thought the "wave" was pretty cool. Here I am givin' all out waves, only to learn to throw the "low two fingers" haha!

2009 Suzuki S40 Boulevard 8K Miles - Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 - Inline Fuel Filter - Raptor Petcock Mod - Modded Air Filter - Seat Lifted - 2 1/2 Turns Out - ~1200RPM Idle
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #17 - 09/23/15 at 20:12:56

Good for you.  Personally I avoid Interstates, but then I find 60mph on back roads gives me the ability to enjoy the ride and the scenery .  Smiley
As regards the noise level on long trips. That does add to the fatigue level.    I use the inexpensive ear plugs found at Walgreens or CVS. They DO make a difference....  Thus far you seem to have discovered the joy of riding a motorcycle. If a side road looks interesting, take it.  Check out maps for a place to head for using back roads and take off for the weekend. Pack a gym bag and sleeping bag and (maybe) some rain gear and enjoy the trip. Check out some of the little diners that you might not stop at if you are in a car and in a hurry...  In other words ENJOY ..   Cool    

« Last Edit: 09/24/15 at 03:57:38 by Dave »  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #18 - 09/23/15 at 20:23:00

matt1995 wrote on 09/23/15 at 19:18:50:
Here I am givin' all out waves....

I had an older gentleman riding a Gold Wing with his wife do that. I'm not used to that and had to look twice. He seemed really excited to be waving too!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Reply #19 - 09/23/15 at 20:29:07

Oh! I love waving and nodding at people. I don't know. I used to be a big time cager, but way more attentive. I've driven my car I own a 2012 CR-V, almost 30K miles in the last 7 months. I've fallen in love with having the freedom to just go... But either way. I feel like when traveling, and sharing common interests that one enjoys, that it just allows you to form a connection with people that also share those similar interests. You never know when something positive can make someones day! Plus, especially for things like motorcycle that most people probably look at as, the "dumb Harley riders that never wear any gear" or the "supersport bike kids that are racing down the highway and lane splitting to hell", giving a good ol' friendly wave, and stopping to talk to people along the way and explaining all about what and why we do what we do just seems right. Spreading positivity in a world that doesn't have enough of it. Phew I'm long winded...

Anyways, thanks for the reply! I don't really care if they flip me off (like I heard some HD riders do!) or turn away (had a group of big cruisers do that to me today on Skyline Drive), I'll still keep on waving. You might not be able to change them, but you can control what you do, and I wanna keep making people smile!

2009 Suzuki S40 Boulevard 8K Miles - Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 - Inline Fuel Filter - Raptor Petcock Mod - Modded Air Filter - Seat Lifted - 2 1/2 Turns Out - ~1200RPM Idle
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #20 - 09/23/15 at 20:33:51

Drestakil wrote on 09/23/15 at 12:20:56:
Keep an eye on your license plate. The vibration of a thumper can crack the metal at the corners. I had to mount a piece of rubber behind the plates of both my thumpers.  

I cut a piece of sheetmetal the size of my plate and bolted them together before mounting it to the bike. The extra thickness causes the plate to not vibrate as bad and crack.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 09/23/15 at 20:38:53

Matt, you sound very positive. It's a welcome change in this "not-so-nice" world.  Wink

When I ride, I feel a connection to every other rider I pass. We both share a love for motorcycling. I don't care what they're riding, whether it's a squid on a sport bike or a 1%er on a Harley, I'll wave anyway. It's part of the "brotherhood"!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 09/23/15 at 22:24:21

Congrats Matt ,
You have picked one of the best all-a-rounds bikes ever built !
I'm on my second one now .  Wink

I agree with an earlier post : ( justin_o_guy2 )

I disagree. I want every thousandth of lift and duration I can get
And, the closer the lifters/rockers stay to the cam when the valve is closed, the less slamming and banging going on when it starts to open the valve.

The steel parts don't swell as much as the Aluminum parts --- so the clearance will increase with the motor temperature .  I aim at .002" when  I set them. .002 will pass but .003 won't .  Wink  and you can bend your feeler gauge any way you want -- its your after all !  Tongue

FYI    
a modified Harley Soft Tail Seat is an easy fit and Very comfortable .
and
If you ever take the clutch/cam chain cover off ... The Grey Form-a-Gasket works great , just don't use too much of it and "Let it dry a little " after contact and before tightening .  Wink

Hope to meet ya at one of our meets ,  Smiley .

Summer_2012__S40_005.JPG

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #23 - 09/24/15 at 04:01:49

Sounds like a nice ride.

It can get tiring especially with all the sounds, wind, being on top of your game when riding, etc. Take those rest stops and hydration breaks.

If you do much high speed riding (70 or more) keep a close watch on the oil level.  It tends to use some at higher speeds.

Oh, and welcome.  Smiley

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 09/24/15 at 05:20:26

Yep.....ear plugs are a must for anything more than just a ride around the block.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:18:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hey all! New S40 Owner :D

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.