Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch cable placement at clutch arm (Read 39 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Clutch cable placement at clutch arm
09/20/15 at 07:59:27

Team...

2008, 5300 miles, other mods in my signature (none engine/tranny related). I went on a ride yesterday and noticed that only on some acceleration, I felt/heard a slight noise that sounded maybe like a belt rub, but after inspection I have verified that the belt is lined up perfectly center under load (going forward while in gear and spinning in 1st gear while up on my lift) and I have as well inspected the belt and guard and no signs of that being the culprit.

Upon closer inspection this morning, I noticed that the clutch cable connector at the tranny arm was not seated properly and apparently causing the arm to ride ever so slightly higher than it does when the cable is in proper placement (see pics below).  I have no idea how long this has been like this, but it's only the last 100 miles or so that I thought I felt/heard something that just wasn't right. I recall checking the perch the last couple of days and making sure by "feel" that it had a little play and in hindsight it did, but not as much as it usually did...but still enough for the tranny arm to have some slight slack and not be riding under cable pressure....or at least as far as I can tell. When riding yesterday I could get on it hard at any speed and it would roll on pretty hard, in other words, no apparent "clutch slippage" under load that I could perceive.

So;
a) I don't think I have created any harm to anything since I still had a little slack in the cable...but not as much as normal.  Right?
b) Looks like the tranny arm is at rest pretty close to where it should be without me needing to worry about a new clutch rod anytime soon.   Right?
c) Any other comments/questions/observations? Anything further I should check/inspect that does not require breaking it open?

Thanks!

Arm Position Before

Cable Position Before

Arm Position After

Cable Position After

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Clutch cable placement at clutch arm
Reply #1 - 09/20/15 at 12:40:47

Everything is fine.  

As you observed, the only thing you really did was to have the cable "adjusted" a bit too tight until you put the cable end back where it belongs.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Re: Clutch cable placement at clutch arm
Reply #2 - 09/21/15 at 22:31:52

I posted the same issue a bit ago. The clutch seemed chattery. I noticed the cable was in your same position. Lifted the lever up, slipped the cable in place, squeezed the bracket a bit. Back in business with a nice, smooth clutch. Smiley
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 13:16:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch cable placement at clutch arm

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.