Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel again (Read 126 times)
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fuel again
09/17/15 at 13:13:34

Hi all, Well after having so much trouble with this bike I threw it in the corner and left it FOR TWO YEARS  Embarrassed
I have other bikes so.... Anyway, after reading all again about tuning the carb I have one question. The spacer mod. Does removing the space not lower the needle causing the mixture to weaken. I believe my bike is very rich across all ranges. I have two washers on 52.5 idle and 150 main. two turns out. HD muffler and K&N. Its my wifes bike and she wants it on the road. She wont be ragging it. The issues I had was its running rich. It would stall when rapped shutting of accelerator to stop. I think that's because tick over was set too low ? and some may remember the engine would just cut out when hard acceleration throttle full open. as soon as I shut it by about 1/4 the engine would fire up again. This sparked the debate about rev limiters ?? Will removing a washer and going down an idle jet size weaken the fuel across the range ? HELP  Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Fuel again
Reply #1 - 09/17/15 at 13:19:47

We don't have a rev limiter...
Removing the spacer will richen the mix...
#52.5 may be rich on the pilot... Try a #47.5 or #50...

Do you have the stock petcock?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/17/15 at 13:47:39

Serowbot wrote on 09/17/15 at 13:19:47:
We don't have a rev limiter...
Removing the spacer will richen the mix...
#52.5 may be rich on the pilot... Try a #47.5 or #50...

Do you have the stock petcock?... Huh...

Thanks for the reply, yes im aware no rev limiter. It was my post that started that discussion a couple of years ago. I have the raptor tap. How does less spacer make the mixture rich if it lowers the needle in the jet. Don't get me wrong Im not arguing with you I don't get it. Any other carb ive played with idle is JUST tick over and raising the needle or lowering the jet strengthens mixture. Why are these carbs so complicated ??
Cheers

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/17/15 at 13:51:20

I agree with Serow.....the 52.5 pilot is most likely too rich for a bike with the stock air filter.

The spacer and washer go on top of the needle clip, and there is a spring underneath that holds the needle up against the spacer/washers.  When you remove the white spacer and put the "3" washers in place of the white spacer, it makes the mixture slightly richer.  If you only have "2" washers, it may allow the needle to move up too far and make the bike run too rich.

Try a #50 pilot, #150 main and 3 washers.  If you have a surging just off idle....then remove one of the washers.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/17/15 at 13:57:28

Dave wrote on 09/17/15 at 13:51:20:
I agree with Serow.....the 52.5 pilot is most likely too rich for a bike with the stock air filter.

The spacer and washer go on top of the needle clip, and there is a spring underneath that holds the needle up against the spacer/washers.  When you remove the white spacer and put the "3" washers in place of the white spacer, it makes the mixture slightly richer.  If you only have "2" washers, it may allow the needle to move up too far and make the bike run too rich.

Try a #50 pilot, #150 main and 3 washers.  If you have a surging just off idle....then remove one of the washers.

Ill give it a go. Back to the drawing board. Its K&N filter by the way. Just been thinking about the needle and forgot the spring. Removing washers will cause the needle to rise as its pushed up by the spring yes ??

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 09/17/15 at 15:02:09

Yes.  That is correct.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/18/15 at 11:17:26

Just noticed a dimple on the retainer plate. dimple down or up please ?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/18/15 at 11:25:40

dimple down

WWW   IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/18/15 at 12:57:26

verslagen1 wrote on 09/18/15 at 11:25:40:
dimple down

Thanks

IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/20/15 at 10:03:23

So here's what I did.  After spending another weekend pulling the carb off, putting it back on again. Going through every combination with no joy I went back to stock. 130 main and 47.5 idle. I have kept the white spacer out and left two washers in. two turns out. Apart from a bit of popping. on shut down and every now and then when you shut off at high revs and pull the clutch it will stall. But I stress not every time it runs lovely and most importantly doesn't now cut out at max revs. I can only think that with UK fuel being higher octane than US it doesn't need to run as rich as you lot do over the pond ??? What do you think  Shocked Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/20/15 at 13:57:07

I don't slide my foot off the gas pedal in the car and let it slam the throttle closed. These bikes don't appreciate that, either.
If it's running well the way your wife rides, then maybe it's not perfect, but good enough. You can unstress and let her ride.
Later, you can make little changes... but stuffing it in a corner
over a carb hassle? Dude, you're lucky she didn't cuff you to it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/21/15 at 11:25:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/20/15 at 13:57:07:
I don't slide my foot off the gas pedal in the car and let it slam the throttle closed. These bikes don't appreciate that, either.
If it's running well the way your wife rides, then maybe it's not perfect, but good enough. You can unstress and let her ride.
Later, you can make little changes... but stuffing it in a corner
over a carb hassle? Dude, you're lucky she didn't cuff you to it.

Thanks for the concern but she has three other bikes that run fine

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 09:22:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.