Send Topic Print
Help! (Read 218 times)
Jweintraub
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help!
09/16/15 at 13:37:58

So I just picked up a 2007 s40 got a good deal on it as it was not running.  No spark so cked the coil it was bad. Installed new coil now I have good spark but still will not start. I have fuel and even tried to start with carb cleaner ( this always worked for me in the past) it suckling in the carb and blowing out the exhaust.  I'm very lost at this point. It did do a very light backfire I mean very light the compression seems ok. Any ideas would be great. Thanks guys!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Help!
Reply #1 - 09/16/15 at 13:53:13

What makes you think it has compression?  Did you test it with a gauge?

The symptoms you described....sure sounds like there is a compression problem.  Confirm that the decompression lever is working as it should....it should pull up for a brief second, then go back to horizontal once the engine has turned over once or twice.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jweintraub
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/16/15 at 14:00:29

Cked compression with gauge it read 145. Is that in spec?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/16/15 at 14:45:35

That should be enough for it to start.

Instead of carb cleaner.....try a small amount of gasoline.  You can squirt it down the vacuum line for the petcock.

If you have compression, spark and fuel....the only other issue is timing?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/16/15 at 14:45:36

Jweintraub wrote on 09/16/15 at 14:00:29:
Cked compression with gauge it read 145. Is that in spec?

standard  is 142 -200 psi
limit 114 psi

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Jweintraub
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/16/15 at 15:40:03

Thanks for the help guys. When I get off in the morning I'm going to go get a new gauge and ck the compression one more time. (Mine is very old) then if that cks I'll pull the plug and try a few drops of gas. If still no go I'll move to the timing. I'll most likely need help on the timing process for this bike. This is my first suzuki ever I've always had Hondas but I really like this little thing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/16/15 at 18:45:35

How long did it sit?
Might wanna be sure everything is oiled. Engines that sit too long can be damaged by startup.
Hopefully you realized that the plug sits in a cavity, catching crap to drop into the cylinder.
You may have spark with the plug against the engine, but with the load on the starter from compression, you may not. A multimeter, monitoring battery voltage,, the igniter requires a HOT battery. Someone knows what the voltage is.
You can pull the plug wire and use another plug. Then you'll see if it is pulling the load
And
Sparking.

How many miles on it?
Tank rusty?
Drain the carb bowl into a clear container ?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jweintraub
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/17/15 at 01:56:15

So the bike sit for about 9 weeks. FuEl tank is clean no rust as is the carb. I did "prime" the cylinder before I tried to start it. It has 28k on it and I cked for spark with the old plug in the head. In a bout 2 hrs I'll be re cking the compression with the new gauge,  I'll post finding as I get them. Thanks guys. Also does this year bike have the same cam chain problem?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 09/17/15 at 03:59:17

All years have the same cam chain issues.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/17/15 at 04:02:10

Jweintraub wrote on 09/17/15 at 01:56:15:
Also does this year bike have the same cam chain problem?

The cam chain and tensioner are the same for all years.....no factory changes.  They all need your attention....and at 28,000 it is far overdue to be checked.  One member on our forum did go that long without any issues - but he rode long distances regularly and that seems to be easier on the chain than making short trips.

IP Logged
Jweintraub
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/18/15 at 13:13:43

OK guys compression cks good with 3 different testers getting good spark. Getting fuel (put some gas in the plug hole) and nothing more than a but of back fire thought the carb. Pulled the muffler thinking maybe to much back pressure that's when it started back firing through the carb. I'm lost now. Plug was not covered with fuel so it's not flooded. Tried in choke and out. If the valves are out of spec would it cause this? I mean I know I'd they were way out it would.  Also I don't here any grinding or chain slap like the cam chain is out. I don't really want to pull the cover as it'll take 5 days to get the new gasket for it. Any ideas on what to try next. I can't find a timing procedure anywhere.  How do you ck the timing on this bike? Thanks for all the help

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 09/18/15 at 13:21:04

Here is how to check the "timing"

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1278347767

You have to remove the valve adjustment covers and timing cover.
You don't (or shouldn't) need new gaskets for any of them.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/19/15 at 23:12:06

Either..
Squirt under the seat.Or access the air filter..be sure.
Just a little.
Check voltage,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jweintraub
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/20/15 at 18:43:31

Well timing checked out good. Did a leak down test and its not holding compression at all and the more I ck it the lower the compression drops. So I did a little test and poured about 2 oz of oil right in the plug hole and bingo compression shot up from 135 to 180 so this means that the rings are not sealing(right?) I've pulled the motor from the frame and I'm going to pull the heads and jug this week and see what I have. Anyone got a good place to order parts from?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/20/15 at 19:06:54

so, it had compression, and you squirt stuff in, no start, less compression, and conclude
Rebuild.
The oil is wiped off from trying to start.
Check the cam tensioner.
Get a Hot battery on it. It's got enough compression to run. Get it going before you start dumping money in it. 28,000 is nothing.
Guys here with over 100,000.
It's cam chain checking time.
Get some ether. Access the intake, give it a little shot.
Stand it up, and hit the button.

It's possible that the jug Is damaged, from sitting, dry cranking, but I'd sure let it prove it before I went digging.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:53:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.