Send Topic Print
Carburetor rebuild? (Read 67 times)
bpearsoncfi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carburetor rebuild?
09/12/15 at 13:37:27

All right, after having problems with the pivot bolt for the cam chain tensioner, I got things put back together and it ran pretty good, didn't idle great but sounded ok otherwise.
Then, a week later, try to start it and nothing!  Tried on prime, res, on; choke out, choke in...  Then vroom, started!  But after a minute died.  Tried again 30 minutes later and started right up.  Then died a few minutes after that.
I know the previous owner let it sit for a few years so I'm thinking time to rebuild the carb.  Thoughts?  Kits?  Anything I should know? Shocked Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Carburetor rebuild?
Reply #1 - 09/12/15 at 14:41:33

We can't hear How it ran. Or what heroics were involved in keeping it running for a minute. Details matter.
The history of it since you had it. Was it running okay before the tensioner change?
How old is the gas?
Have you drained the carb bowl into a clear container to see what it looks like?
What happens when you twist the gas?
I had old gas, barely run, die when I gassed it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bpearsoncfi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/12/15 at 19:54:43

So last week it started easy and sounded good.  Didn't want to idle but if I held the throttle just a little open it was fine.  When I opened the throttle it responded well and sounded fine (except for the backfires when I let off)

This week it wouldn't start for the longest time.  Once it did it sounded weaker and if I opened the throttle it wanted to die.  I had to open it really slow.  I adjusted the idle screw and at one point it idled for about a minute.  When it died it sounded just like an engine running out of gas.

IP Logged
bpearsoncfi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/12/15 at 19:55:42

Oh yeah, I haven't drained the bowl but I will now.  And the gas in the tank is brand new, the tanks been dry for quite a while.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/12/15 at 20:07:11

It sounds like you're only getting a trickle of gas.
have you checked out the petcock?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/12/15 at 20:51:54

Bikes history,what's the best you've seen it run, age, miles, how long parked, and definitely hit tech department and read up on petcock testing.
Crap settles around the spark plug, blow clean, check, don't want crud in on the piston.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 09/14/15 at 12:29:54

bpearsoncfi wrote on 09/12/15 at 19:55:42:
Oh yeah, I haven't drained the bowl but I will now.  And the gas in the tank is brand new, the tanks been dry for quite a while.

Besides the carb itself, you may very well have rust particles/pieces/chunks/etc coming loose now that you have fuel in the tank.
You may need to do the acid & sealer trick to the tank.
Then pull the carb off the engine and go through it with a fine tooth wire to clean the crud out of the passageways
Tighten your belt and get to work.
THEN you can jet and tune with confidence.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 06:51:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor rebuild?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.