Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Muffler suggestion for my wife please (Read 236 times)
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muffler suggestion for my wife please
09/07/15 at 12:20:35

Hi all,

I recently picked up a savage for my wife to practice on.  It had already been backyard bobbed, but was a good deal so...  I dressed it up a little with paint and such.  She's pleased with it aesthetically, loves the low seat height, and is willing to try to get accustomed to the cruiser slow steering (compared to her old TW200).  But she can't live with the noise level of the can that came on it (backfiring on decel doesn't help, but I think it's mostly the noise level at highway speeds that's getting to her).  

Couple pics:

Any thoughts or suggestions for a different muffler?  Not trying to mute it entirely, and I do like the small size, but if she's going to ride it I'll need to compromise somewhere.

I'm asking here because I don't even know if I'm running the factory header or if something has been chopped/modded...  

Any thoughts?  

Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Muffler suggestion for my wife please
Reply #1 - 09/07/15 at 13:26:07

Dyna mufflers sound good. Not loud, but a deeper rumble. That's a nasty looking exhaust.. I bet it's LOUD.
And before you turn her loose on it I suggest you give it a go.. Find some water in the road, see how that goes.. Be prepared for a skunk stripe and a blast to the face. Without a complete front fender, even light sand and gravel can fly up and hit under the chin. I would have built a mudflap like
Serowbot has if I was gonna keep it. Even the full coverage helmet left my neck and throat in the path of road crud flying up.
The riders safety course is really a good idea.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 09/07/15 at 14:15:50

You're definitely gonna want to get some fenders unless she likes eating dirt and road water.  Skunk stripe probably won't thrill her either.

The dyna is probably the cheapest good option for a replacement muffler.  Make sure you get one with the baffles still intact or it'll be terribly loud. Usually can be had at either a harley dealer (they are take-offs and nobody wants them) or on ebay for about $20 or so.
There's a thread in the tech section about installation and it mentions which part #'s fit, etc.

It looks like you have the stock header and it doesn't look to have been cut, just wrapped.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/07/15 at 15:02:49

This, is a link...->Harley Muffler Guide

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/07/15 at 17:13:52

Thanks for the link and suggestions, I'll check it out.  

The goal is to economically get the savage to a point where we can see if she "likes" it enough to replace her scooter.  I already bought a full front fender and painted it to match the tank.  Didn't come with a rear fender but have looked at some options.  If she decides that she likes the bike, I don't even mind spending the coin for a BCB fender and seat kit.  But it's too much money for a maybe.  In the meantime we will avoid water at all costs!

She's a good rider, done the MSF course.  The savage is an experiment to have highway speed capabilities AND the low seat height of her current 150cc scooter and former TW200.  I'd say it's 50/50 at this point as to whether she will want to keep it.  But a quieter ride, if the muffler is reasonably cheap, will help the odds for the little savage  Wink

Thanks for the good advice!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/07/15 at 17:32:23

Well, if she gets a giggle out of acceleration and riding out of curves hard, she's gonna love it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 09/07/15 at 21:39:37

You could get a stock muffler and front mudguard out of the  market place forum on this site, there are many who don't care for the stock muffler and some of the bobber brigade don't care for the mudguard, as you have realised. In  my self opinionated view, the mudguard doesn't compromise the aesthetics of the bike. Check allmotors post on page one of the market place for front and rear mudguards.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/07/15 at 22:12:31

You can find pictures of the stock muffler, it's heavier and likely to eat the price of a locally obtained Dyna in freight.

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #8 - 09/08/15 at 06:02:26

Based on that I see I completely agree with the guys above. I have seen quite a few use the trailer fender for the bobber build.  I went with the Dyna muffler.  It was $25 with free shipping on ebay. There is a pre-bend adapter on the Ryca site as well for it.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/09/15 at 03:45:42

The bike has potential.....but does need a bit more to look complete.  A rear fender would help a bunch - right now it just doesn't look finished to me.

You might try the SuperThumper muffler deal - it could be the cheapest and easiest way to get something nice sounding on the bike.  And I believe you need some kind of any angle adapter to make the installation proper....either the RYCA or SuperThumper angle adapter (I am not a fan of the soup can and hacksaw method....although it does work and is cheap).
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1440702069

Here is the RYCA angle adapter if you want to find your own Dyna muffler.

http://shop.rycamotors.com/exhaust_adapter.html 

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 09/09/15 at 07:23:12

The HD Dyna muffler is a good choice but it is still a bit on the loud side.
If you think she might want something a little more soft, but yet has a pleasing low frequency rumble, then check out this stainless unit from Cone Engineering:

"Quiet-er Core" Cone/Reverse Cone Slip-On Mufflers

Our patent pending chamber design makes this the quietest cone/reverse cone muffler we offer. It retains the classic look and traditional deep tone you expect from this style muffler, but with a lower sound level than our straight core mufflers. Brush Finished 304 Stainless Steel. Slips over inlet dimension shown. Universal fitment - Not model/yr specific. A bracket attachment is recommended in addition to either welding, retainers/springs, mounting tabs, or clamping to headers - all sold separately.

I could not pull the pic from their site so here is the link.
It's only $130 which is really good for an all stainless unit.

http://www.coneeng.com/pdf/motorcycle/MC%20finsihed%20Mufflers%20PDF.pdf

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 09/09/15 at 21:34:42

I have used the Night Train muffler with two screw attachments. The front attachment is ground off and the rear one is used in the OE bracket hole. Use the original clamp with Soda can wrap gasket and a 7" heat shield to hide the ugly joint. $20 muffler like new.

I recently used a "Low" muffler with the grooved slide attachment. Just put a couple 1/4-20 bolt heads into the slide with a washer on top and run the threaded portion through the OE bracket holes with a washer and a lock washer to snug it up. I HAVE NOT used an angle pipe, but instead loosen the header just enough to move it slightly and make the connection to the muffler. Soda gasket and heat shield with original clamp. Install time 20 minutes. Like new muffler $30. Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/10/15 at 06:09:35

Wow, thanks for all the good advice and help.

I went ahead and did the superthumper muffler deal for simplicity.  If she likes it I'll address the rear fender next.

I also found a used set of bars that are wider, hoping that'll help quicken the steering slightly.

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/10/15 at 04:10:32

Thought I'd update this thread in case it's helpful for anyone in the future.

Finally got the superthumper muffler mounted and my wife loves it.  Respectable sound -- not sewing machine quiet and not obnoxious loud.  Significantly less backfiring and popping than the previous mini muffler.  I "think" I can feel a slight increase in power too.

Aesthetically it is a big muffler and a LOT of chrome.  I'll have to see to the chrome, thinking to powdercoat the shield and see how that looks.  If anyone has done that and has any pics, I'd love to see them.

Thanks again for all your help.  I may eventually try something a little smaller/lighter, as I think this one just dominates the right side of the bike.  But for now it makes the Mrs happy, and it was a simple solution.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 10/10/15 at 17:41:59

The cheap, good looking, decent sound, Dyna. The Harley shop has them, the custom bike shops have them, New, Guy buys a bike. Wants to Upgrade before being seen on it, they take them off,,
Avoid the ones with crossover plumbing and some have catalytic converters, I don't know if it matters.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 23:16:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler suggestion for my wife please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.