Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I started trade school today (Read 77 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
I started trade school today
09/01/15 at 00:05:41

I started trade school today. At 40 years old and making a major career change last night was like Christmas eve I couldn't sleep, stomach was a mess, just anxiety ridden like a mofo!

Since I'm not looking for any type of degree my schedule is all over the place. I plan to open my own shop 1 day and decided to take some classes to help me have less outsourcing of work. Class load includes
2 tig welding labs
1 mig welding lab
Motorcycle electronics, electrical, diagnostics
Motorcycle engine repair and overhaul
Advanced auto paint and refinishing

Bye the end of this school year I should have certified in tig and mig (been doing it for years just never took a class or got certified)
Have a solid working knowledge of motorcycle engine and electrical repair
Have a solid working knowledge of single color paint techniques

I have years of welding and engine repair experience so the classes for me were just to certify and gain more experience. I have never painted before using professional equipment. I've done graffiti for years and can do a mean rattle can paint job that looks darn near as good as pro paint. I understand the importance of proper prep and how to spray so the class intention was to learn proper techniques and how to set up the equipment.

I spoke to the paint instructor tonight after class for about 30 minutes and he said with my welding abilities and a decent mechanical aptitude I should have a good understanding of basic techniques after the 1st semester. He said at that point the second semester I can just spend honing the craft. It's a 3.5 hour lab that's mostly spent in the booth. Since it's a night course and an advanced setting they do a lot of painting in class. And it's just paint and refinishing so no body work or other stuff. Strictly paint techniques and setup.

The motorcycle technology classes you can provide your own engine to credit for the class. I have a spare for my bike I purchased with the intention of doing a monster power build on. Looks like I'm going to get to do it in class with an instructor and a machine shop on campus that can do all the head work. That made my day as I wanted to have it done anyways and now I'm going to get step by step instructions form an industry professional.

Super excited to see where I'm at skill wise come the end of this semester and then the end of the full year

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: I started trade school today
Reply #1 - 09/01/15 at 04:11:39

Congrats, Rylee,

Sounds like you've got a fun class load.  Hope things go well for you in the classes.  One can never have too much knowledge.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/01/15 at 05:25:54

Oh yeah!.....We need a TIG expert to make us some 1.5" diameter stainless headers!

(Line forms behind me!). Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
squiggy
YaBB Newbies

Furiously Savage

Michiana
Reply #3 - 09/01/15 at 05:38:35

Dave wrote on 09/01/15 at 05:25:54:
Oh yeah!.....We need a TIG expert to make us some 1.5" diameter stainless headers!

(Line forms behind me!). Wink

They could be ready just in time for Spring!

This could be a good way for Rylee to defray schooling costs.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 09/01/15 at 05:47:30

Good luck in your new venture.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #5 - 09/01/15 at 08:45:21

Good for you, Rylee, have fun  Smiley

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #6 - 09/01/15 at 09:18:50

Thanks everyone.

@Dave
Yes that can be arranged. I'd just have to set up a purge system for the stainless. That and know what you routing plans were so I could weld the pipe and collar correctly. I have a RYCA header that I can use as a jig if a mid exit system was what you wanted. I'd also wanna do a wrap around left side header as well.

@squiggy
School is paid for from California governors fee waivers. But money is money. Should be proficient enough by the end of this semester to tackle a header job

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 09/01/15 at 09:57:20

RYCA has a left side header for the scrambler version.

I've wanted to take a welding class here but stuff has been in the way so far.  Maybe after the 1st of the year.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #8 - 09/02/15 at 14:07:47

A bit of an aside, but I've noticed that fewer and fewer motorcycle or car mechanics have any experience (or want to have) with carburetors.   There is a small independent shop near me where they specialize in older bikes with carbs.  As a former Classic Car  (Packards) owner I am also well aware of difficult it is to get carburetor work done... (Ever try to work on the updraft carb on a 1931 Cadillac V8 ?)  It might help to kick start your new career to be a "go to guy" for carb problems..... And Good Luck... Smiley

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 09/02/15 at 15:24:38

Ain't that the truth.  They look at it like it's some sort of magic box and they're scared to death they will let a demon out and it won't work anymore.

Tell them it's an analog fuel injection system.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 00:34:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › I started trade school today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.