Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Battery dying when engine hot (Read 700 times)
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Battery dying when engine hot
Reply #45 - 09/22/15 at 21:35:56

lol when I dropped it off i said keep it under 250 I'm poor.

and I'm in Canada so that's like 75 cents American.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 09/22/15 at 22:08:45

daincitydave wrote on 09/22/15 at 14:35:26:
bike is done at the shop.

Here is what was done:

1.  Oil leak fixed. Valve covers were replaced.
Your buddy broke the valve covers?

2.  Choke fixed. Apparently it was not even hooked up right.

3.  Carb cleaned out was clogged and not closing properly.

The float valve was cuddled up?
That's a common thing when they get parked.

4.  Rewired my sub-par Reg/Rec wiring lol

Well, you hang out, read, get a Weller soldering gun, two stage trigger, and practice soldering. It's something everyone needs to know. Get  60/40 acid flux, and if you want to go cheap, nothing wrong with a soldering iron, they're pretty cheap, needle nose pliers are good,
Learning how to solder is fun, if you're a mechanical kinda guy.
You can build some stuff, check resistances around the circuit,
A piece of board, wires, battery, light, ohm meter.
Ohh, paste soldering flux, and a little bit lastsyears.
Four ounces of solder will get you a long way.

He said its working great.  I pick it up on Thursday.  He did say that my bike conking out all the time was most likely due to the carbs.  But as far as electrical goes the reg/reg wasnt able to be troubleshot as it was brand new and bike hadnt been started with the new one yet.  so i'm glad i replaced that.

I'll update Thursday after i take it out for a rip.

Thanks for everyone's help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #47 - 09/22/15 at 22:34:48

daincitydave wrote on 09/22/15 at 21:35:56:
lol when I dropped it off i said keep it under 250 I'm poor.

and I'm in Canada so that's like 75 cents American.

You didn't do too bad then, I suppose.  Do as JOG2 said, and next time you'll save yourself a trip to the mechanic...and a whole bunch of Canadian scratch.   Shocked

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 09/23/15 at 18:22:50

$310

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #49 - 09/25/15 at 01:10:06

Eager to hear a ride report  Smiley

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #50 - 09/25/15 at 18:06:20

First time in the ten years I've been here someone needed valve covers. How can anyone mess that up?
Choke wasn't hooked up right?
Must be some absolute Bozos out there..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 09/27/15 at 11:00:12

I am learning that the guy I got the bike from was a bit shady and did not disclose nearly the number of problems he should have.

I had a good talk with the bike mechanic when I picked up my bike. He did not fix the leak. Says that would have gone outside of my budget by a long way.  

What he did fix was my carburetor and my choke and re-routed my throttle cable so i didnt accelerate as i turned corners.

Did not have anyone to take me to get my bike so i had to pick it up with my trailer. Brought it home and immediately took it for a rip.  Made it about 1 block before it conked out and died. WTF.  Would not restart at all. Dead battery. Some dude on rollerblades with no shirt and 2 wiener dogs rode up to me as i was pushing it home and says he heard me a block away and it sounded like my air filter was clogged.

Got the bike home, threw it on the trickle charger and took out the air filter. Charged it up, started it up. Time to go around the hood again. 10 minutes, no problems. 20 minutes, no problems. Going to go home. Parked it.   Had to go to work.  Next day, i'm off. Did the same small route to make sure all was good.  Seems good. Decided to go for a bit further of a ride. Went to my father's house, about 30 minutes away. Took back country roads and stretched it to about an hour. Had a coffee at his place.  Went to leave, dead battery. WTF. Not liking this trend.   After 2 boosts along the way I managed to get home.

Time for some electrical troubleshooting.  Took seat off and wiggled one of my butt connectors that i did a few days earlier. One of the wires popped right out, wasn't even connected.  Sad

Had an electrical buddy come over and he properly did them with a heat gun, etc., and they were tight.  

We did all the multimeter tests and all seemed good; bike off, battery not connected, battery connected bike on, etc., all combinations seemed good with power.

Bike started this morning with no problems. I wont be able to ride again for any period of time until Thursday but I am hoping the regulator not being connected with all wires was the cause of the battery dying.........the saga continues...

IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 10/04/15 at 15:53:39

ok, i am a troubleshooting machine.

i have worked with a few friends over the last few days and wow is this heading in a different direction.

update on a few things...

carbs - working sweet
air filter - removed it, waiting on new one - bike runs and does not die anymore while riding

went for a day of sweet riding and thought all my issues were resolved. then thought i'd go for one last ride after dinner. bike would not start at all. click click click.  this time i had my borrowed multimeter.  battery was A-ok.

next line in the chain would be the solenoid.  a friend had a new one. put it in, same thing. didnt start.

my mechanic friend suggested getting another battery, hooking negative up to a bolt or something on the bike, and the positive directly to the starter. says it will start but spark lol.  well it sparked but did not move, turn over, or do anything.

would it be safe to assume, that the issue a bike will not start after doing everything i have done, that the starter could be the root of my problem with it not starting up after getting hot?  Initially thought battery was dead when it did this but now i'm thinking maybe its really the starter being intermittent.

thoughts from experts?!?!?!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #53 - 10/04/15 at 16:15:50

here's something you can do with the air filter...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1183640744

about that starter... did it even try to turn?
if the decomp solenoid is out of adjustment, the starter will just stall.
the lever is on top of the head on the left side and that's the 1st click you hear.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #54 - 10/04/15 at 16:22:09

Check grounds. A good battery can't start it if electrons can't flow.
You can test the solenoid. Engage it with 12 volts on the small wire, if it's just one small wire, it frame grounds.Two small wires means ones hot, the other, ground, make sure that is happening.
Usually a rapid click is low battery.
Put a meter on the wire at the starter. See if you get twelve volts.
Heck, remove it from the starter, the clicking should stop and you should get steady voltage at that terminal. If it's appreciably less than the battery, you've got bad connections or the solenoid is arced and not conducting well. You can bypass it. If you short around it and it starts, it's bad.
Or, remove the hot lead in from the battery to solenoid, leave the small ones, hit start, read ohms across the guts of the solenoid.
The uninitiated should go online and see what's inside, how they work.
It's just a relay.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #55 - 10/05/15 at 03:34:28

daincitydave wrote on 09/27/15 at 11:00:12:
Made it about 1 block before it conked out and died. WTF.  Would not restart at all. Dead battery. Some dude on rollerblades with no shirt and 2 wiener dogs rode up to me as i was pushing it home and says he heard me a block away and it sounded like my air filter was clogged.

What does a clogged air cleaner sound like? (The only experience I have with that is a lawn mower....and it just sounded  and ran like the choke was on all the time).

If the bike runs fine for half an hour....then doesn't - I can't see how that can be related to an air filter?  Can the filter go go from clean to dirty....then back to clean again overnight (with a battery charge)?  It also appears you rode the bike without an air filter....and it still died after a while.  Doesn't that show the problem is not the air filter?

Don't be so fast to take the advice from strangers. Wink

Hopefully that loose wire was the problem., and I guess there isn't any problem in having a new air filter.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #56 - 10/06/15 at 17:15:57

Dave wrote on 10/05/15 at 03:34:28:
Don't be so fast to take the advice from strangers. Wink

Hopefully that loose wire was the problem., and I guess there isn't any problem in having a new air filter.    

We're strangers too ya know  Smiley ...You're right though.  I'm not sure what the sound of a bad air filter is or if there is such a thing.  

I made an air filter using the link Versy posted.  It works great and is a great value.

Watch out for guys walking weiner dogs dispensing motorcycle repair advice...that's the real lesson here.

IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 10/06/15 at 17:56:20

lol actually turns out that the guy is my brother's wife's cousin. that was why he stopped to talk to me lol. he said that it sounded like my air filter was clogged and not letting air pass through.  when i pulled my filter out, it was hard as a rock lol like cardboard. nothing was going through it at all.

after a few more days of tests and fiddling, i found something peculiar.

the regulator i installed, one harness plugged in, the other one i had to cut harness off and direct wire. a friend told me to clean the contacts. so when i unplugged the set of wires in the harness something did not look right.  There is a black and white wire coming out of regulator into the harness.  there are 3 slots in the harness. black at bottom and red top left.  well the opposite harness that it plugs into is not set up the same way lol. the red actually goes into an empty slot.  am i able to pull out the red and move it to the slot next to it? lol
wondering if its not making a connection and thats why i cant start the bike...

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #58 - 10/07/15 at 04:22:54

That might explain the battery going dead on you.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 10/11/15 at 11:22:40

Ok.  I had a very good friend, and bike mechanic come over and spend some time on my bike.
Checked through wiring, tests, etc., and the problem seemed to point to the starter.  he pulled it off..took it home and worked on it. i guess there was a short in the main connection and that was causing a problem every time i started the bike. he fixed it and we put it back on yesterday.  By this time though the battery had drained due to being shorted so many times.  let it trickle charge all day and when i got home last night from dinner, battery read 15. perfect.  unhooked charger and turned it over. well WTF. started no problem and faster than it had ever started before.  wasnt able to ride last night so just let it idle for a bit. tried again this morning, started up no problem again.  had to go to work but i'm off tomorrow. CANNOT wait to ride and will update with how awesome it was not how i got 2 miles from home and needed a boost LOL crossing fingers..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:33:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery dying when engine hot

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.