Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Different battery question: AGM, gel? (Read 92 times)
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Different battery question: AGM, gel?
08/28/15 at 04:18:42

Is anyone running these newer AGM or gel electrolyte batteries, and are they worth the extra $$?

I have heard they don't discharge as fast when sitting and also deliver better cranking amps. They also don't spill electrolyte, eating paint and rusting the blazes out of everything.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Different battery question: AGM, gel?
Reply #1 - 08/28/15 at 04:46:32

I tend to buy a name brand battery....like Yuasa.  I stay away from most things made by BikeMaster.....they tend to be poorer quality.  My friend who has been working on bikes for more than 40 years recommends batteries made in Japan, Taiwan or the USA...Chinese made batteries tend not to be as reliable or durable.

I only buy the AGM batteries, as they can't spill and don't have a vent tube that tends to rust parts when it vents.

The only downside that I know of from the AGM batteries...is they tend to give almost no warning when they decide they have had enough.  The factory Yuasa AGM battery on my Honda worked for 11 years straight without a hiccup.  One afternoon I started it up and rode to the hardware store, then started it up and rode a mile down the street to the gas station.....and the battery wouldn't even turn the neutral light on when I finished getting fuel.  I got a jump from a car and rode around for 30 minutes to see if the battery would charge, and when I got home it once again had no battery power.  I tried charging it and could get nothing.  The battery went from working to dead in a period of 1 mile!    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/28/15 at 05:38:28

And.....if you get a good battery and take care of it.....it should last a long time.  Don't leave your key on and make it go dead, battery tender when you won't be riding for a few week or months, never charge it with more than 1.5 amps.....not much else you can do with an AGM as you can't check fluid levels.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/28/15 at 06:25:33

I got a Uasa for the Kawasaki, parked the bike, health reasons, and the four wheeler battery puked.. so, I stuffed some foam rubber around the smaller battery for the 650 than the battery for the 250,, confusing, innit?, and it's been good for four years. I rarely run it, why the battery has survived beats me. I LIKE the mat/gel batteries, I'm not sure they're really that much better, but checking water on the stock savage means pulling it. Given the option, I'd go gel, but, if money was tight, UASA,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 08/28/15 at 19:43:55

The gel/AGM batteries are great.  Like everybody else has said, no vents to cause rust, no constantly checking water levels, no spills if bike is dropped.  They hold a charge longer without use.  The don't tolerate overcharge as well as flooded types cause you can't add more water. And, like Dave said, will die all at once with no warning sometimes.

I agree about the chinese batteries too.  I bought a chinese scooter in 08.  Had to replace the battery (AGM) in 09.  Started fine one day. Next day, ummmp, and that was it. Dead. Still using the taiwan replacement.  It will sit for months and still start, no problem. The AGM's also don't seem to low volt as bad in cold weather.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 08/28/15 at 21:35:51

+1 on the AGM. got one at adv auto parts at a big discount with online coupon. first one was crap out of the box. second one i made them test in the store and it's been running for 2+ years with no issies. i put it on the trickle now and then for a few mins just to make sure it's topped off and it rarely needs more than 15 mins on the trickle before it tells me it is full, and i remove it promptly to avoid overcharging.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #6 - 08/28/15 at 22:05:31

Thanks, everybody, for the feedback. I'll try the gel mat battery next time one of my Yumicrons goes boom-booms up...

I'd try a lithium/iron dry batt, but I am not going to pay big bucks for a battery that won't suit up and get on the field when it's cold. Even though I seldom ride when it's in the 40s, that one characteristic is a deal killer.

Too bad, because they weigh 2.5lbs as opposed to 10 or 12 for a wet or gel battery...

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/28/15 at 22:50:24

So far so good with the Duralast Gold AGM.  It's always full, has never needed even one minute on the trickle charger.  I ride every day though no matter the weather.  No fuss battery.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/29/15 at 04:16:04

Found this....probably more than you wanted to know.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

And if you want to know more....here is the home page and the index includes lead/acid batteries, AGM batteries, Li-Ion batteries.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/29/15 at 06:52:15

Dangitt, Dave, now I gotta go add another line to the scoreboard..
We've got
Solved someone's problem, and Dave has two stars, I think Rowboat has a question mark, and I have a red face with a big frown and a tongue sticking out.
Now we need a way to keep up with referenced sites that help..
This looks good, and Dave gets the first star, Uhhgain,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:27:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Different battery question: AGM, gel?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.