Idle too slow? (Read 68 times)
chasethorn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs
Idle too slow?
08/15/15 at 20:35:22

After riding the bike for a while now I've noticed the idle sounds slower. Even today I was riding around for a few and started having issues where it would stutter and die at a stop at low rpm in neutral. This stopped after putting it on reserve for a second and then back to on with a full tank... Just so you know the bike has 5050 miles on it. No mods. I have not checked really much in this bike as I am uncertain on what to look at. I wonder if the idle has something to do with this? Not enough pressure? Here's a video so you can listen. This was after about 15 to 20 minutes of riding.

I am really new to motorcycles so does this sound normal??

One other question. My choke doesn't seem to work. It only works pushed in. If I pull it out the bike won't run. What's up with that?http://youtu.be/XVNuN-hGv0E

« Last Edit: 08/16/15 at 04:15:03 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Idle to slow?
Reply #1 - 08/15/15 at 22:23:41

You're between 1050 - 1100 RPM there.  You doing just fine with that idle.

As for your choke, it's important to think about what the choke does.  Without the choke your air/fuel mix is pretty much constant, but when you use the choke you restrict the air in the mix by the degree to which you apply the choke, effectively making the mixture richer.  You're at 6,000 feet above sea level which means there is already less air for you than for someone right at sea level like me.  You're already rich, so when you apply the choke you make it really really rich.  I'd guess that's your problem.  There are instructions for tuning your carb around here.  You might end up going down a size or two on your pilot jet.

There are some really experienced carb guys around here that I expect can do a better job of explaining all of this, but I didn't want to leave you hanging.  Welcome to the forum.  You're in the right place.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Idle too slow?
Reply #2 - 08/16/15 at 04:33:28

Our carb does not have a choke, it has a fuel enrichment valve.  There is no butterfly that blocks air flow.  The fuel enrichment valve operates in the idle circuit, and it allows additional fuel flow only when the throttle is closed.  If your bike is running rich at idle, operating the fuel enrichment valve may make the bike too rich to run....or even start.

If you have not tested your petcock, you need to do that.  The diaphragm could have a hole in it and may be letting fuel flow into the vacuum line, which will result in a rich mixture.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

You are at a high elevation and your carb may be at a setting that is too rich for the elevation where you ride.  If the brass plug has not been removed from the idle mixture screw, it is time to remove it and adjust the idle mixture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/16/15 at 09:46:12

Any time engine speeds fall , so does oil pressure. The cam sits directly in a groove in the aluminum head. Low pressure wrecks things up there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 08/16/15 at 12:45:53

If you hold the throttle open when using the enrichment valve/choke knob the bike won't or will struggle to start.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/16/15 at 12:51:27

jcstokes wrote on 08/16/15 at 12:45:53:
If you hold the throttle open when using the enrichment valve/choke knob the bike won't or will struggle to start.

Is that an observation.......or a question??????

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:32:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle too slow?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.