Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Google Is Restructuring as Alphabet (Read 70 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Google Is Restructuring as Alphabet
08/10/15 at 15:40:42

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/11/technology/google-alphabet-restructuring.ht...

Google Is Restructuring as Alphabet

"SAN FRANCISCO — Google was born as a company that did Internet search. Over time, it has broadened its interests into everything from drones to pharmaceuticals to venture capital.

Now Google is changing its corporate structure to reflect that it has essentially become a holding company with a disparate collection of businesses.

Larry Page, co-founder and chief executive of Google, said in a blog post on Monday that he was creating a new company named Alphabet that he would run along with Sergey Brin, the other co-founder of Google.

Alphabet is to act as a parent entity, with several other companies operating under the structure. The biggest among them would be Google. In addition, Alphabet is to house other businesses such as Nest, the smart thermostat maker, and Calico, a company focused on longevity, among others."

==================================

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/new-company-called-alphabet-owns-google/

"GOOGLE HAS REORGANIZED itself into multiple companies, separating its core Internet business from several of its most ambitious projects while continuing to run all of these operations under a new umbrella company called Alphabet.

“What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google,” Google co-founder Larry Page said in a blog post this afternoon. “This newer Google is a bit slimmed down, with the companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products contained in Alphabet instead.”

In other words, Google will continue to run internet-centric services such as Google Maps, YouTube, Chrome, and Android. But “moonshot” projects such as the X Lab and the Calico life extension project will operate as somewhat separate entities.

“Fundamentally, we believe this allows us more management scale, as we can run things independently that aren’t very related. Alphabet is about businesses prospering through strong leaders and independence,” Page wrote.

Page will serve as CEO of Alphabet, while Google co-founder Sergey Brin will serve as president. Longtime Page lieutenant Sundar Pichai will take over as Google CEO.

“In general, our model is to have a strong CEO who runs each business, with Sergey and me in service to them as needed. We will rigorously handle capital allocation and work to make sure each business is executing well. We’ll also make sure we have a great CEO for each business, and we’ll determine their compensation,” Page said.

=======================================

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/google-alphabet.html

"As Sergey and I wrote in the original founders letter 11 years ago, “Google is not a conventional company. We do not intend to become one.” As part of that, we also said that you could expect us to make “smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.” From the start, we’ve always strived to do more, and to do important and meaningful things with the resources we have.

We did a lot of things that seemed crazy at the time. Many of those crazy things now have over a billion users, like Google Maps, YouTube, Chrome, and Android. And we haven’t stopped there. We are still trying to do things other people think are crazy but we are super excited about.

We’ve long believed that over time companies tend to get comfortable doing the same thing, just making incremental changes. But in the technology industry, where revolutionary ideas drive the next big growth areas, you need to be a bit uncomfortable to stay relevant.

Our company is operating well today, but we think we can make it cleaner and more accountable. So we are creating a new company, called Alphabet (http://abc.xyz). I am really excited to be running Alphabet as CEO with help from my capable partner, Sergey, as President.

What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google. This newer Google is a bit slimmed down, with the companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products contained in Alphabet instead. What do we mean by far afield? Good examples are our health efforts: Life Sciences (that works on the glucose-sensing contact lens), and Calico (focused on longevity). Fundamentally, we believe this allows us more management scale, as we can run things independently that aren’t very related. Alphabet is about businesses prospering through strong leaders and independence. In general, our model is to have a strong CEO who runs each business, with Sergey and me in service to them as needed. We will rigorously handle capital allocation and work to make sure each business is executing well. We'll also make sure we have a great CEO for each business, and we’ll determine their compensation. In addition, with this new structure we plan to implement segment reporting for our Q4 results, where Google financials will be provided separately than those for the rest of Alphabet businesses as a whole.

This new structure will allow us to keep tremendous focus on the extraordinary opportunities we have inside of Google. A key part of this is Sundar Pichai. Sundar has been saying the things I would have said (and sometimes better!) for quite some time now, and I’ve been tremendously enjoying our work together. He has really stepped up since October of last year, when he took on product and engineering responsibility for our Internet businesses. Sergey and I have been super excited about his progress and dedication to the company. And it is clear to us and our board that it is time for Sundar to be CEO of Google. I feel very fortunate to have someone as talented as he is to run the slightly slimmed down Google and this frees up time for me to continue to scale our aspirations. I have been spending quite a bit of time with Sundar, helping him and the company in any way I can, and I will of course continue to do that. Google itself is also making all sorts of new products, and I know Sundar will always be focused on innovation -- continuing to stretch boundaries. I know he deeply cares that we can continue to make big strides on our core mission to organize the world's information. Recent launches like Google Photos and Google Now using machine learning are amazing progress. Google also has some services that are run with their own identity, like YouTube. Susan is doing a great job as CEO, running a strong brand and driving incredible growth.

Sergey and I are seriously in the business of starting new things. Alphabet will also include our X lab, which incubates new efforts like Wing, our drone delivery effort. We are also stoked about growing our investment arms, Ventures and Capital, as part of this new structure."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Google Is Restructuring as Alphabet
Reply #1 - 08/10/15 at 16:03:52

What does this move answer?   What does this move accomplish?

Well, when Alphabet splits off another letter company, it can become easy to keep up with its financial health.  A bad seed can die and the good seeds can sink roots and grow easier.

The EU said Google was using itself to promote itself, giving an unfair advantage and all -- now Google Ads can be separated from Google Search as the structure is there to rapidly do so if desired.

I watched American companies do this in the 1990s because they had grown so big as to be unwieldy and they were not able to respond to changes in the marketplace quickly enough.   I rode two of these business through two of these restructurings, one successful and one not so successful.   Both were hard on people, layoffs happen even in the happy ones.

Look to see some google seeds take off and some seeds die off, it is the way of these sorts of things.

Alphabet is now firmly in the innovation business as their stated purpose.   Think of Alphabet as the greenhouse where the seeds sprout and develop a bit before being transplanted out into the world.

Wink

....  errant thought --- once the googlets start trading as separate companies, investment dollars will flow into the good ones multiplying the value of the Alphabet umbrella as a whole much quicker.

Also, those seeds that need to invent or create a cash flow system or business plan for themselves can now do so unhindered by the conflicting interests of the other pieces.

« Last Edit: 08/10/15 at 17:36:14 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/10/15 at 22:20:21

So what stock implications will this have? If you have Google stock, will you now also have Alphabet stock?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/11/15 at 06:57:17

General stock will transfer over to Alphabet -- specific later investments in the subs will be specific (once they are all properly created).

========================================

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/08/10/google-spawns-new-parent-company-al...

Google spawns new parent company, Alphabet, splits off side businesses into unique entities

And yes Virginia, the little white bug is a Google Self-Driving Car which is past the prototype stage and is pending certifications.   You can see why Google needs to be able to split off some businesses now as some have potential to exceed the size of the parent company.

"The new incarnation of Google will be "slimmed down," and see key executive Sundar Pichai promoted to the position of CEO, according to Google co-founder Larry Page, now in charge of Alphabet. Pichai has "really stepped up" since taking on new product and engineering responsibilities in October, Page said in a blog post, adding that the executive "has been saying the things I would have said (and sometimes better!) for quite some time now."

Businesses that were not previously a part of Google's core Internet products will move under the Alphabet umbrella. One given example is Calico, a medical research firm dedicated to extending human lifespans. Alphabet will also become the parent of entities like Nest, Fiber, the Google X research labs, and Google's Ventures and Capital investment firms.

Search, Maps, Android, YouTube and advertising will remain under Google's domain.

Page and fellow Google co-founder Sergey Brin, Alphabet's first president, have promised to "make sure each business is executing well," and set compensation for the new companies' CEOs.

The change also marks a radical shake-up for investors. All existing Google shares will automatically convert into Alphabet stock, and starting in the fourth quarter, Google results will be segmented away from those of the rest of Alphabet.

In explaining the changes, Page said that the goal is to make things "cleaner and more accountable." Despite the creation of Alphabet, each company will be granted a certain amount of independence and the ability to develop its own brands.

Monday's developments could potentially have ramifications for Apple, which has been competing with a unified Google in terms of mobile platforms, advertising, music services, and more. Alphabet's subsidiaries could, for instance, decide to go in different development directions."

During this shake up, some of the most marginal of the old Google programs will likely fade away.   This does very slowly take place in the old Google system but it is sometimes too slow for good overall financial results as no one could see the adverse affects of the losers clearly -- now they will be able to clearly see what is a winner and what is not.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:16:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Google Is Restructuring as Alphabet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.