Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
any car mechanics out there? (Read 170 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
any car mechanics out there?
08/02/15 at 20:20:48

Help. I have an 02 mitsubishi eclipse gt, v6, 3.0 liter, 24 valves, automatic  tranny. I just got this car back from my daughter who decided she no longer wanted because it was getting too expensive to maintain.

Car shakes under load but no check engine light. I took to mechanic and his expensive code reader indicated a cylinder 3 misfire. He had the car for a few days supposedly diagnosing but he indicated problem was intermittent. He changed distributor cap and said it seemed to be running alright but could not be sure. He told me my engine mount were shot. All this cost me $200 but fixed nothing.

I had tires balanced. I changed motor mounts which were shot. And today I spent about 6 hours and another $100 for parts. I removed the intake plenum (yeah, great fun) to be able to access the 1,3, and 5 cylinders. I changed all the spark plugs with NGK Iridium though all the old plugs looked good and I replaced all the spark plug wires with high quality ones.  

Issue is not resolved. Still no check engine light though. Anybody have any suggestions, other than get rid of the car?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: any car mechanics out there?
Reply #1 - 08/02/15 at 20:38:05

Shake under load.
Pulling a boat?
Rolling down the road?
Bore us with details about the symptoms.
You've done the obvious.
Is the fuel not keeping up with the engines need under load?
Check fuel rail pressures?
Trans slipping?
Checked fluid level and color and smell?
A drop on white paper, look..

Rev in neutral?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 08/02/15 at 23:31:39

Have you tried an Mitsubishi forum for the specific model?
I have found almost every make and model vehicle has a site forum dedicated to them.
It might be a know issue, kinda like the petc0ck is here.

Shaking under load... I would have put a OBD II tester on it, if no faults.... think tranny, or if its a front wheel drive, think about the drive knuckles...sorry can't remember the true name for those.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 08/02/15 at 23:54:15

CV joints, they otta let you know in a turn.
Getting the front off the ground and messing around might help, but a better description of the problem wouldn't hurt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/03/15 at 08:28:07

Thanks Justin and Old_Rider. I forgot to mention I actually had the tranny checked by a tranny shop and they told me the tranny was fine. They are actually the ones that put the scanner on it and diagnosed the cylinder 3 misfire and he did not charge me anything. The scanner did not indicate a fuel delivery issue. I forget exactly what it said but I believe it implied a spark issue. I also had the injectors cleaned by shop prior to seeing the tranny guy.

The car idles great. While stationary you can rev it and it sounds great. But drive it in a straight line not pulling anything and at around 2k rpm it starts to shake. It does seem to be intermittent as last night on the first few minutes of my test drive I pushed it hard and it ran great but then on the way back to the house it started acting up again.

Not likely to be suspension parts, but I will take a closer look just to make sure. Right now I suspect possible faulty distributor and possible faulty ECU. Do not know why check engine light does not come on and my cheapie scanner cannot pick up any fault codes so I am sure the the check engine light bulb is functional.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 08/03/15 at 08:31:09

One reply on the interweb says this:

so i installed the crossmember and passenger mount but had to pack it up since the sun went down. there is a substantial decrease in the huge shaking. but the transmission mount will not come off.

This discussion may help some?

http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-reports/150776-car-shakes-under-accelerat...

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/03/15 at 08:32:03

I forgot to mention I did find a Mitsu forum but no help so far. I am thinking of calling Mitsu dealer to ask how much for a diagnosis.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/03/15 at 08:39:40

Thanks Stew. That is actually the forum I have been looking at and obtained plenty of info so far. I had not seen that thread but as I said I changed the mounts and 2 of them were actually in pretty bad shape. Based on the original scan of cylinder 3 misfire I believe it is a spark issue. But I will check out all the suspension components just to make sure.

The CV boots looked good and I am not getting any clicking sound so I suspect they are fine. The rest I need to look at. Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/03/15 at 08:57:09

I listened to a Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers episode where a lady had a misfire in her car.....and they suspected a broken motor mount.  They had a car in their shop that had a misfire under acceleration and they found the engine would move so much that it would pull on the wiring harness and pull the wire connectors apart....and the connectors would touch again when the force on the engine was released.

If you have the motor mounts repaired and this miss is still there....then I guess it is not the motor mounts.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 08/03/15 at 09:17:54

I had an old toyota car that was running rough, etc. Shaking a little because of the rough running, but not too aggressive since it was a teeny tiny 4 cylinder. Anyhow, I ended up looking at the engine one night when it was kinda dark and I could see the spark plug wires shorting out on the manifold or metal shroud covering it. I guess my wires were old. It was kinda like a personal little fireworks show!  Replaced the plug wires and distributor cap and it ran like new!

The "look at it while running in the dark" may not tell you anything if you don't have a grounding issue like I did, but to Dave's point, maybe it's an intermittent short sort of situation.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 08/03/15 at 10:47:20

Stew, Dave, thanks again. Yeah what Dave wrote was interesting. I will have to make sure the new mounts are working properly and also make sure the wires have enough slack to accommodate at least some engine movement.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/03/15 at 13:43:39

If the engine pulled stuff due to lousy mounts, a wire many have broken and not busted the insulation, resulting in an intermittent open.
Put it in first, hold the brAke and torque it up. If it cuts out, motor falls back to position, makes connection, ,,  do the math.
A plug tester that clips on the plug, then the plug wire goes on, allows checking each plug for fire. A clip on timing light will see the voltage in the plug wire, too. So, whatever you have...

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 08/03/15 at 15:46:03

Thanks Justin. I know the plug wires are good now because I just changed them. However, I will check them to make sure they have enough slack to accommodate any engine movement.

I actually spoke with a Mitsu service person today and he indicated they just recently had an 03 in there with the same problem and it turned out to be the distributor. I may just bite the bullet and purchase a new distributor if I cannot get this problem to go away.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/03/15 at 16:18:09

Totally missed the point.
Plug wires and distributors are ON the engine. Wiring harnesses from chassis to engine MIGHT be stressed IF the mounts allowed enough motion.
IF the engine, loaded, tilts enough to open a stressed wire and causes the engine to lose power, UNtilting enough to make the connection again, causing it to torque again, creating the bucking event.
Just Try loading the engine with the brAke, in gear. If it bucks, try reverse.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 08/04/15 at 08:57:48

Thanks Justin. I'm glad you clarified. I will take a look at that. I sure hope that is not it though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:27:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › any car mechanics out there?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.