Send Topic Print
WONT START (Read 108 times)
neillien72
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WONT START
08/08/15 at 22:59:44

I got an 86 savage its been siting for awhile and I cant get it to start im giting spark .what do I check next?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: WONT START
Reply #1 - 08/09/15 at 00:18:37

Air, fuel, spark. That's all you need for combustion!  Wink

Is the battery charged? Carb clean? Petcock flowing? Float bowl full? How do you know you're getting spark?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/09/15 at 00:37:17

How long has it been sitting?  Was it in running condition when it was left to sit?  Was it properly prepared for storage?  What is the current condition of the bike?  What have you done so far aside from turning the key and pushing the start button?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
neillien72
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/09/15 at 02:01:26

i replaced the main starter gear and upgraded the idle gear to limiter gear then I put oil in it and gas it started up for a minute then it died and wouldn't start anymore so I took the carb apart the idle jet was a little bit clogged but that's all I cleaned the carb real good put it back together and it started up for two seconds and died .the bike was parked ten years ago do to the dredded kick back poisoning. there is two hoses coming off the carb I don't know were they go they don't go anywere I can see .

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/09/15 at 09:27:34

They're vents, and they are just poked up into the open end of the frame, IIRC.  I'm certain they're vents, but exactly where you can stick them,,,
Just poke them up into the easiest place.
These things will give you nightmares if you don't have a Solid battery.
Every start, followed by a few seconds of run time, drains it.
Essential tools
Multimeter
Battery charger, but not a big one. Don't wanna charge it too fast.
A spare plug, so the starter is working Just like when you start it.
Check spark when the starter motor is loaded, not just spinning a motor.
Besides, it's a lot easier.
Check battery voltage while you're engaging the starter.
It's a good time to build a pigtail for a float charger. I went to Radio Shack, bought two wire connectors and put a pigtail on the bike, four wheeler and mower, now, I can plug a float charger in any of them.
Done right, it's possible to use that pigtail for the Real charger, but wire gauge must be considered going in.
Batteries are essential, unpredictable and hard to access. Building in some access for troubleshooting and charging and maintaining the charge is, IMO, worth every bit of the trouble.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
neillien72
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/09/15 at 11:32:54

its a brand new battery.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/09/15 at 11:51:16

neillien72 wrote on 08/09/15 at 11:32:54:
its a brand new battery.

plenty of bad brand new batteries found here.
you should get yourself a cheap VOM and check the volts while starting.

pull the plug and see what it looks like.
how long are you spinning the starter before she fires for a second or 2?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/09/15 at 12:11:32

I read a while back, that your starter gear cracked your sidecase?...
When you replaced the case,... did you replace the stator and ignition pick-up?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
neillien72
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/09/15 at 21:26:20

well thanks for all your sapport ,it was the floats I put in upside down. it runs like a champ now it leaks a lot of oil but I think after the rubber plug that the magneto wires run through expands it wil stop leaking .yes the case was cracked from kickback but I welded it filled it in real nice its never going to break again I filled it in made a bridge across so it has extra sapport . the bike is too much bike for me it gos way to fast it was really scarry a lot faster than the Honda hobbit 50cc im used too . Kiss

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/09/15 at 21:56:41

LOL...Before long you'll think it's not enough bike for you and you'll be at the dealership drooling over a Suzuki Boulevard M109 B.O.S.S.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 08/09/15 at 22:18:21

If it's scary and fast, perhaps you should consider an MSF  course, or if you don't want to do that, just ride gently, gradually increasing your speed. Initially stick to low speed limited areas, then as your confidence grows you can go somewhat faster. Many people including myself are pretty much content with the bikes performance. A lot of the bobbing modding and so forth done here seem to be as much for looks as for enhanced performance. These machines are quite forgiving and are used by many as entry level bikes, others buy them when returning to motorcycling after a prolonged absence. Take it easy slowly get your confidence and you will come right. Beware violent application of the rear brake, particularly in the wet.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 08/10/15 at 03:56:12

neillien72 wrote on 08/09/15 at 21:26:20:
now it leaks a lot of oil but I think after the rubber plug that the magneto wires run through expands it will stop leaking .

What makes you think the rubber plug is going to expand?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #12 - 08/10/15 at 04:55:00

I took the MSF about 2 years ago now, when I got my S40 i thought that 25 mph was fast cruising through the hood here.  Now 45 seems lime I am crawling.  Just relax and focus, as you build confidence it will get better.

Find a nice big empty parking lot and practice.  I think people felt I was nuts using parking spaces to make about 100 left and right turns from a stop.  Circle, stop, turn, repeat.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
neillien72
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/10/15 at 19:25:28

some oil is coming out of the base cylinder gasket .did I somehow put too much oil in it ? I put two quarts there might have been a lil bit in it when I put the two in. how do you check oil level?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/10/15 at 20:17:25

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2