Send Topic Print
Riding in the rain? (Read 319 times)
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Riding in the rain?
08/08/15 at 20:05:19

Ok...let's get something out of the way first:

I have owned and ridden a Kawasaki KZ 550 for about 3 years out in Colorado....close to 25 yrs ago. I didnt start riding again until I bought my Savage back in May of this year. It's been in pieces for a month while I am driving a Honda CB250 Nighthawk. All told, I would guess that I have less than 3,500 miles driven on a motorcycle in my lifetime. I'm not a complete nooblet, but obviously not an expert in handling a bike in various conditions. With that being said...

...I drove a bike in the rain for the very first time last night. I didnt plan it that way...it was cloudy all day but no rain, the doppler radar in my riding area showed ZERO rain for 150 miles and a 5% chance of any precip at all in my area(I use the Raleigh RDU Aviation weather forecast instead of my local "news" weather). I took the Honda Nighthawk out for a ride at about 11PM like I do most every night when the weather is good. I do roughly 40-50 miles for practice and relaxation.

I got 22 miles from home when it just started raining. Not a downpour mind you, but it was a light steady rain. I am not embarrassed to admit I was a bit concerned. I had ZERO experience with wet pavement. None, nada, zip. There are few cars on the road in my rural community that late in the evening, so traffic wasnt an issue. I just didnt like the way the bike cornered at all. Long curves I might normally take at 45, I slowed it down to 30 or so and dropped a gear. The tires didnt feel like they were sticking to the road and I was worried about having the ass end slide out.
Once, while stopping for a red light, I had the front tire slip on me just a smidge. I immediately released the brake lever and re-applied it more gently...adding some rear brake as well (yes, I did drop 2 gears during the process of stopping).

What can any of you tell me about the correct way to ride on wet pavement or in rainy weather? I wouldnt intentionally ride in the rain...there is no need to....as my bikes are just for fun and I own a cage.

PS  Can anyone recommend a "sticky" tire brand for me? I'm not worried so much about longevity....I'll likely do less than 1,000 miles a year on any bike I own. A sticky tire with a nice side tread would make me feel a lot better.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Riding in the rain?
Reply #1 - 08/08/15 at 20:52:41

what tires are you running? How old? How many miles?

First rain after a dry spell raises oils and makes traction change.

Going slower on wet roads is only prudent.. I started carrying rain gear Everywhere unless it was just impossible for rain.

Rain at speed feels like BB's,,,
When I'm driving and it starts raining I get in a safe place in traffic and smack the brakes. I wanna KNOW if it's gonna act right.
Not recommended for riding.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 08/08/15 at 21:37:48

Sounds like you did the right thing, Stu. I don't love the rain either, it psyches me out. I just slow down, corner slower, leave more braking room between me and cars and take it easy. Weirdly, I feel more confident in the rain on my dirt bike with the knobblies. I guess I'm used to it sliding, but maybe the upright ride position has something to do with it too.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 08/08/15 at 22:47:39

Yes, light steady rain after dry weather is one of the worst, as it will raise the oils and rubbers deposited on the road without washing them away. As JOG2 and gizzo say, be extra careful and on blacktop beware of smooth shiny spots and try and avoid riding on painted surfaces. Beware of the Savage/S40's rear brake, it is prone to locking if applied violently, and you don't want this to happen in the wet. Try and keep the big gap all around you, but that's not always possible. Have you taken an American MSF course? You will get expert advice. If you wear a full face helmet you can by water repellent products to spray on your visor. Most reasonable quality tyres should be ok in the wet, and an extra sticky one may not help much in absolute desperation, you aren't on a race bike. The more riding experience you get, the better you will be able to deal with wet situations. The stock IRC tyres aren't brilliant in the wet, particularly the rear. If these are still on the bike, contemplate replacing the rear at least.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
digitaltrucker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/09/15 at 00:34:35

When I first got my '03 Savage it didn't like wet roads AT ALL.  I wound up putting a new set of tires on and discovered that the dealership had installed the rear tire backwards!

Gee, I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 08/09/15 at 00:46:43

My advice, if you want to be more confident in the wet, is to ride in the wet more.  Remember the first time you ever rode a motorcycle?  You probably were overly careful and gave yourself a lot of room.  Do that just in the wet.  Eventually you'll intuitively get better and more confident as you understand your bike's proclivities.  Not much help, I know, but that's how we improve.  I ride my bike like I stole it rain or shine, day or night, but it wasn't always like that.  Only after considerable practice.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/09/15 at 05:10:17

If they paint those wide white STOP bars at the intersection, and big arrows on the pavement.....some of those can be incredibly slippery when they are wet.  Don't try to brake or turn while your tires are on top of those.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
paulchristi
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

My other bike is a
surfboard

Tucson, Arizona
Reply #7 - 08/09/15 at 07:02:29

Good tips all.  Sounds like your not planning to ride in the rain, but if you ever do, I'd recommend a windshield.  Also, ride toward the fog line when big trucks approach.

I used to ride to work nearly every day when I lived on the North Oregon coast, and it sure rains there.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/09/15 at 07:47:03

THere is a curve in Tyler where a railroad track crosses at an angle,  
As a noob, dry roads, scary. That first time  when it was wet was a very focused moment. Challenging situations force us to focus, and drive out all the
Will it blend?
What's for supper?

One of the things I liked about riding was the forced focus.
Early on, I Accepted and prepared for getting caught in the rain
Later, I would go out and ride, leaving home while it was raining.
It can be fun.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #9 - 08/09/15 at 10:43:42

I ride in the rain often, here's what I learned:
- Intersections are more slippery - more grease, more painted surfaces. I've slid in to many intersections proving this.
- Expect the braking distances to exceed the braking distance of the car in front of you. The 2 second rule becomes the 5 second rule. I always prepare to lane split in the case of a sudden stop.
- After a fresh rain on dry pavement, consider pulling over and waiting  30 minutes.
- In slippery conditions, ride the speed you're comfortable crashing at. (see above).
- Expect both wheels to lock up when braking.
- Mud from the road will coat the front rotor, adding seconds to brake bite time.(This is scary)
- in wet conditions, perform only one motorcycle move at a time: brake, lean, roll on, roll off - all done as single operations.
- When stopped, expect steam to rise from the engine, fogging up your windshield, visor, goggles.
- A motorcycle is even more invisible in the rain. I keep my thumb over the horn.
- Water will splash up and hit the shins, soaking the calf, which then drips down in to the shoes, soaking the shoes from the inside out. This adds weight to your feet that you didn't start the ride with, so at stops, you'll notice it's harder to flatfoot as well as get your feet back on the pegs when taking off. This can lead to a drop at stop lights, as well as clumsy starts on the green light.
- If I'm in the rain, approaching a traffic light where I need to turn, I plan to stop at that intersection, no matter what color the light is when I get there. I don't want to slide out in that intersection just because I may miss the green light.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 08/09/15 at 19:50:33

All excellent tips and I thank you!

Some of you missed that in my original post, I said I was driving the Honda Nighthawk 250...not my Savage. The Honda has a mushy front drum brake. Its also MUCH lighter than the Savage. It just felt like I had zero traction....like I was driving a car on hard packed snow.

I wear a 3/4 helmet with a full flip down visor. I use a product called "Brilliantize" on the face shield. It's a plastic cleaner/conditioner/polish that I learned about while I was working as a copier repairman many years ago. The water beaded on the face shield, so vision wasnt an issue.

I'm out in farm country here. There are no overpasses or bridges nearby. I guess I could have found a gas station and hung out near the pumps under the awning, but I had no idea if it would get worse, better, or stay the same. Even my smartphone weather app said chance of rain in my area was only 5%.

I made it home, I didnt drop the bike, I didnt hit anything....so it's all good. The plan is to drive the 250 and the Savage until Fall and then take the MSC at my local community college. When I go out for my late night rides, I find a large parking lot and I practice very tight U-turns, 25 mph breaking, zig zagging at low speed...stuff like that. Just trying to build up muscle memory and confidence.

Riding in the pouring rain on purpose? Not on my To Do list at the moment Wink

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 08/09/15 at 21:44:36

At least part of that feeling is psychosomatic.  I remember those days.  I would strongly encourage you to ride in the rain on purpose.  Would you own a pistol for self defense, but not take it to the firing range regularly?  I hope not.  Let's say you're out riding and a freak storm comes from nowhere.  Do you want to be prepared to deal with that or do you want to pull into the breakdown lane and wait who knows how long for the storm to pass?  You're already practicing regularly.  I say practice for every scenario, not just the ideal scenario.  Be prepared...be very prepared.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #12 - 08/10/15 at 18:26:55

chzeckmate wrote on 08/09/15 at 21:44:36:
At least part of that feeling is psychosomatic.  I remember those days.  I would strongly encourage you to ride in the rain on purpose.  Would you own a pistol for self defense, but not take it to the firing range regularly?  I hope not.  Let's say you're out riding and a freak storm comes from nowhere.  Do you want to be prepared to deal with that or do you want to pull into the breakdown lane and wait who knows how long for the storm to pass?  You're already practicing regularly.  I say practice for every scenario, not just the ideal scenario.  Be prepared...be very prepared.

<<looks at my Ruger SP 101 and frowns....>>  Ok, chzeck, point taken. Angry

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #13 - 08/12/15 at 01:11:50

All good tips on the thread here. Mentally, I keep it simple... slow down, increase following distance, tiptoe through turns with a shallow bank angle, stay even farther ahead of the bike than usual in order to do everything extra gently, use both brakes that way not one, expect zero traction and try to stay well inside the envelope of what traction is there.

Even at 40, with no face shield it's like being dusted  with fine shrapnel, especially going into gusty thunderstorm winds. Which I did today and got the wet-dry-wet clothing thing. Wonderfully cool and refreshing and the BVDs stayed dry. How sweet it is.

S40_rain_delivery.jpg

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 08/12/15 at 01:15:37

The majority of injuries are to the face. A modular helmet saved my face.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:22:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding in the rain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.