Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Riding in the rain?
Reply #15 - 08/15/15 at 22:45:02

You want to see some wet skills?  Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVoXGGXRl5k

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #16 - 08/15/15 at 23:27:43

With respect, those bikes may have ABS, they certainly wouldn't have grabby locky things on the rear, and if we are brutally honest they probably handle a lot better than our bikes at any speed. They probably don't have IRC rear tyres. They are on a well wetted circuit, not just after light to medium rain. No manhole covers and not a lot of white painted surface. Having said that, their skills are far advanced of mine.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 08/16/15 at 02:15:03

LOL, yeah...I was mainly just underscoring my point about practicing though.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #18 - 08/16/15 at 09:48:00

I'm not a big fan of riding in the wet just because its WET and I also don't have a proper rain suit. But, every time I have ever gotten a new bike, I have purposely ridden in the rain to see how it rides and handles the wet. Sooner or later you WILL get wet unless you only ride on 'perfect' sunny days.

I had a bike years ago that when it rained, would die within about 5 minutes and wouldn't start again until it dried out. I never did figure out where the water was getting in and causing the problem.

The front end gets 'light' on the savage, it's much easier to lock the front wheel in the rain, at least on mine.  My back wheel, unlike most, doesn't lock at the meerest hint of braking.  They work like they should. It does lock easier in the wet, though.

The little ninja just keeps on going. Handling is not much affected at all. It will lock either end just slightly easier than in the dry. The tiny windscreen blows much more wind and water at my upper chest and helmet. It will slide easier in turns which is a little disconcerting until you find out just how much easier.

Like everyone has said, watch out for slick tar spots, manhole covers, steel plates, ANY painted surface, concrete is generally much slicker than asphalt. Bridges with steel grating are sometimes like riding on ice. Wind gusts in a storm will try to blow you around. Don't tense up.

You are much more a target in the rain. Nobody is expecting a bike to be out 10 minutes after it starts raining.  It's harder to see and harder for everyone else out there to see you. The cagers around here seem to have two speeds when it rains, barely moving or wide open. Practice wet riding in a controlled environment if you can...deserted parking lot, deserted back roads, etc. It won't take long to feel confident enough to go in the rain if you have to.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 08/16/15 at 10:03:12

jcstokes wrote on 08/15/15 at 23:27:43:
With respect, those bikes may have ABS, they certainly wouldn't have grabby locky things on the rear, and if we are brutally honest they probably handle a lot better than our bikes at any speed. They probably don't have IRC rear tyres. They are on a well wetted circuit, not just after light to medium rain. No manhole covers and not a lot of white painted surface. Having said that, their skills are far advanced of mine.

Grabby, locky can be made much better by using a handheld grinder, cutting grooves in the pad. Reducing contact area. I got rid of almost a third.
After that I could actualize mine. Some pressure, some braking, more pressure, more braking, I could modulate pressure, before, it would lock up
, had No FEEL, certainly not something that I liked.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #20 - 08/16/15 at 21:34:37

Wet smet!   The texas SOGGY BOTTOM BOYS RULE!... LOL.... miles and miles on the interstate in pouring down rain.....
And the handling...well, no one went down on the wet oily spot... lost a little traction, but didn't go down.... high five on that one!

Yeah... I slow down tons when it rains, and tend to spend most of my time really close to the line on the shoulder side of the road.... them cars and trucks like to play silly on you.

P.S.  I "thought" I had a great suit... Harley supreme rain gear...yeah.... wet is as wet gets..... wet ...... Even tried my military rain gear....same 'o, same o'..... Sad

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - 08/16/15 at 21:47:46

My rain gear will keep me dry unless I'm on a really long ride.  After long enough, I think any rain gear is going to let in some water and once a little is in you might as well accept it.  I usually don't ride for more than an hour in the wet and it does a good job for that time frame anyway.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 08/16/15 at 21:54:24

Usually play smart here in florida... if report says greater than 30 percent, I keep an eye on the sky.
I also keep three or four zip lock quart size baggies on the bike.... for the phone, wallet or any other accessories you keep on you.

Wink

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 08/17/15 at 04:01:27

Tires make a huge difference in the "wet" grip.  Most touring or sport touring tires are very good in the rain.  I dunno about "cruiser" tires but I suspect they are designed to work in the rain as well.  And in most cases when you go for a tire that will last a long time - the rubber tends to be a bit less grippy in the wet.

However as a tire ages the rubber becomes less soft and less grippy - wet pavement will be the place where it shows up the most.  I have tires on my truck that were made in 2006, and the last couple of years they are horrible on wet pavement.  I only drive it when I need to haul something, and I can wait until a dry day to do that.....so I will try and get one more summer out of them.  I would not be so bold on my motorcycle....when the back of my truck slips on the wet pavement it is no big deal - it would be a huge problem on my motorcycle.

With any tire on your motorcycle and wet pavement....be really careful of the painted lines on the pavement, metal manhole or utility covers, wet leaves, any place with mud/clay on the street, or areas on blacktop where the aggregate is gone or covered with smooth asphalt (just the black asphalt and no grit).    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #24 - 08/17/15 at 07:54:22

Couple things a fellow biker told me to do in the rain...

Joe is in his mid 70s... been riding since he was a teenager. So he's been there, done that, got the scars to prove it.

1. Slow down.
2. Beware painted surfaces.
3. Turn your headlight to hi-beam.
4. If you have the chance, put on bright colored clothes to make yourself more visible.

Here's my current rain suit, and it works pretty darn well... and you can see it from a long ways off.  Grin

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095CC390/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&co...

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #25 - 08/17/15 at 11:10:02

One thing nobody has mentioned is to really watch out on rail road crossings, some are made with rubberized blocks which turn to grease in the rain. Had problems with them back a few years ago in Pennsylvania, spun a cage around in a 180 just driving over some. Still remember it, wasn't speeding, just making a slow turn in traffic and suddenly Whee around we went. Don't know if they still use them but I would advoid them at all costs if possible on a bike.
  I carry half chaps to put on my lower legs in a heavy rain. Found out the hard way water runs down my legs and fills up my riding boots.  Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #26 - 08/17/15 at 13:15:22

Every foreign object on the road starts to look like a banana peel to me when it's raining.  Dodge what you can and go easy on the stuff you can't.  

Dave's got the best advice of all...equip your bike with tires that can cope well. Pirelli MT66 are well trusted.  My rear tire slipped on oil when it was raining.  I was going 50 mph fully leaned over in a right hand curve.  I instinctively turned the front wheel in the opposite direction and the Pirelli grabbed at 90 degrees into the slide and put me right again.  I'll be putting those on in a month or two when my currents tires are replaced.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 08/18/15 at 05:09:08

One of the things that Serowbot has brought up before, is that you should not buy a tire that is going to last more than 4-5 years.  The rubber ages and it is better to buy a cheaper tire and wear it out in those 4 years and replace it....than it is to buy an expensive tire that will last 8 years of riding (the last 4 years the tire will be aged and it will not be able to provide good traction).

If you put a lot of miles on a bike every year....the Michelin Commander might be a good tire for you and will provide some high mileage before it is worn out.  Some fellows that go on cross country rides can wear out a tire half way through the trip....and have to get a new tire mounted before they get home!  If however you ride 1,000 miles a year.....a less expensive tire that is worn out in 4,000 miles and replaced after 4 years will be a better bet.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #28 - 08/18/15 at 07:15:02

Tires, tires, tires. If you're slipping around in the rain like you're on snow then you need to look into new / better tires. I do some amateur car racing (autocross) and I had an old road racing LegGrand. Aluminum monocoque purpose built race car with a CBR1000RR motor. On a normal day if a Corvette ZO6 was running 60 second laps I would be at 51 second laps. As soon as it would start raining though I would get beat by Miatas since I only had Hoosier racing slicks with no tread. That's not even with standing water or puddles.

Not knowing the size that you need for your other bike I can't make the best suggestion but I always enjoyed the Avon Storms that I had on my ZZR1200. They took a lot of miles and I never had an issue with grip at any temperature whether it was wet or dry.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 08/18/15 at 08:14:04

BSTON wrote on 08/18/15 at 07:15:02:
Not knowing the size that you need for your other bike I can't make the best suggestion but I always enjoyed the Avon Storms that I had on my ZZR1200. They took a lot of miles and I never had an issue with grip at any temperature whether it was wet or dry.

I believe we are talking about a stock Savage tires.  There is a very limited selection of 140-80-15 tires.  You can increase your selection by switching to a 130/90-15 - but they are still cruiser tires and don't really have all the cool stuff that the touring or sport touring tires do.  I switched to 18" wheels and I have a far better choice available - but for me it really boils down to the Pirelli Sport Demons or Battlax BT45, or maybe the Avon Road Rider...none of which are made in sizes that fit the stock Savage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:29:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding in the rain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.