Send Topic Print
Engine stalls or stops (Read 305 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Engine stalls or stops
Reply #15 - 08/08/15 at 19:25:09

If it's in good shape you might put it on the For Sale part of the forum.
Some guys want the Jardine,  couldn't give me one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Albert Verdugo

Riding is freedom!

Baja California
Reply #16 - 08/08/15 at 19:46:24

It is in good shape, I just repacked it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 08/08/15 at 20:56:04

Eyeballs,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Albert Verdugo

Riding is freedom!

Baja California
Reply #18 - 08/09/15 at 00:45:41

I dont want to sellit but I think i need to add a silencer

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 08/09/15 at 00:57:03

Here's a video I made showing the S40 idling at 1050 RPM.  This is the lowest I'd recommend setting your idle.  Listen to the rhythm and set your idle at least this fast or higher up to around 1200 RPM is fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91njcw1U404

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Albert Verdugo

Riding is freedom!

Baja California
Reply #20 - 08/09/15 at 01:09:10

chzeckmate wrote on 08/09/15 at 00:57:03:
Here's a video I made showing the S40 idling at 1050 RPM.  This is the lowest I'd recommend setting your idle.  Listen to the rhythm and set your idle at least this fast or higher up to around 1200 RPM is fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91njcw1U404

Thanks!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #21 - 08/09/15 at 01:20:18

If the second pic is of the baffle in the Jardine, you could easily modify that to make it quieter. Saw it in half, block the cut with some steel, reassemble. Maybe sleeve the join with some exhaust tube. The exhaust has to go in, up, around, back in and out. That'll make a noticable difference than just going straight through. If you can be bothered. Putting a Dyna on would be a lot easier.

IP Logged
Albert Verdugo

Riding is freedom!

Baja California
Reply #22 - 08/09/15 at 12:39:13

Yes Gizzo, the second pic is from the baffle. I looks like some DIY work, but right now it is a better option than a Dyna (money). or maybe not. I have not made a search for the pipe

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 08/10/15 at 04:31:49

Albert Verdugo wrote on 08/09/15 at 12:39:13:
Yes Gizzo, the second pic is from the baffle. I looks like some DIY work, but right now it is a better option than a Dyna (money). or maybe not. I have not made a search for the pipe

Placing a "plug" in the center of that baffle will go a long way toward making it a functional muffler.  Right now the sound just moves straight on through with little change in sound.

If you want to experiment and can live without the baffle for a couple weeks (6 days shipping each way)....mail it to me and I will weld a plug in the center for you.

You don't need to cut the baffle in half - you can insert a round plug from either end and just weld it in place through a few small holes drilled into the baffle - or you can use a grinding wheel and cut a slot halfway through the side and insert a round piece of metal and weld it in place.

You could try placing some of the glass matt around the baffle....but it really won't help much as the holes are angled in a way that allows the pressure pulses to pass right on by.  The glass matt takes away some of the higher pitched tones and will make the sound a bit deeper....but not any less loud.  And the glass matt burns way pretty quickly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tony from tdot

Calling all Toronto
savage riders!

Toronto, Canada
Reply #24 - 08/10/15 at 17:08:42

I too have this problem with stalling. Many, many times, ill be cruising down the highway, and if for some reason I need to quickly slow down, I pull in the clutch and there she goes. Dies in the middle of the highway going 100kmh. Has no problem starting again, but its a big PIA! My idle is also about 1200, so WHAT GIVES?

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #25 - 08/10/15 at 18:10:11

Tony from tdot wrote on 08/10/15 at 17:08:42:
I too have this problem with stalling. Many, many times, ill be cruising down the highway, and if for some reason I need to quickly slow down, I pull in the clutch and there she goes. Dies in the middle of the highway going 100kmh. Has no problem starting again, but its a big PIA! My idle is also about 1200, so WHAT GIVES?

Tony, we need just a tad more info. What year bike? What mods (if any) have you done to it? When did the problem start? Was it something that started suddenly, or grew worse over time? Do you have a Raptor replacement petcock installed?

These guys are truly geniuses when it comes to Savages, but they cant read you mind  Grin

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
philip garnsey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 08/12/15 at 16:52:57

oh hi everybody I am new to this sight but anyway here goes I have just fitted a german silencer to my ls 650 and omg she is now so quiet I can hear alsorts of noises I didn't hear before I seem to have more horse power aswell but if I try and push her and shut throttle to quick yeah she stalls many of you are saying idle should not be low even though it sounds cool but I think I agree before I changed silencer she sounded like three Harleys it was not fair on my neigboures even the ones I don't like.  Smiley now wow what a difference

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 08/12/15 at 19:09:10

When you close the throttle in a hurry.....you create a really high vacuum in the intake port, and it pulls more air past the carb butterfly than the engine normally does at the normal idle speed.  However......the slide is all the way down and has closed off the main and needle jets, and the only fuel that is flowing to the intake is from the idle circuit.  The result is that the fuel/air mixture has gone incredibly lean - and it is so lean the spark plug can't ignite the mixture and the engine stalls.  When you go to restart the bike the high vacuum is gone, and the idle circuit can provide enough fuel....and the engine starts right up.

The engine doesn't like to have the throttle closed too quickly while riding, or even while shifting gears......the backfire while shifting is a result of the same "lean mixture" condition.  If you can avoid slamming the throttle completely closed while shifting and just leave it about 1/8th open...the backfire will go away and the engine will not stall.  It is hard (impossible) to do that in a panic stop situation and if you grab the brake and pull in the clutch instantly.....the bike will most likely stall, and that unfortunately is a problem in owning a big single.

The carb does have a TEV (Throttle Enrichment Valve) that is supposed to provide a bit of additional fuel when those high vacuum conditions exist, and for some reason it just isn't enough in some bikes.  Maybe the jets are dirty in the TEV, maybe the TEV is not really calibrated for E10 fuel with ethanol in it, and maybe your idle mixture is just slightly lean.  You might try opening your idle mixture screw a 1/4 turn and see if that helps.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 08/12/15 at 19:21:02

slamming the gas off , shifting, nailing it, no clutch, no time for backfires..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 08/13/15 at 04:22:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/12/15 at 19:21:02:
slamming the gas off , shifting, nailing it, no clutch, no time for backfires..

I have tried the No-Clutch shift on my bike a couple of times, and it just doesn't work for me on the Savage.  I have owned other bikes where it worked well and could be done smoothly - but not on the Savage....not for me.  Maybe it is because of the Wiseco piston having more compression braking, or the Mikuni round slide, or the big flywheel/crankshaft mass - but there is always a big clunk between shifts when I try and I know the belt and rear hub cushions are taking a big hit when I try.

So for me I always use the clutch between shifts, and I never slam the throttle closed while shifting.....I just roll the throttle off a little bit when the clutch is pulled in and roll it back on when the clutch is let out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 21:23:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine stalls or stops

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.