Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle Wet (Read 122 times)
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Motorcycle Wet
08/04/15 at 20:24:06

Well, this is a good one.  I took off my motorcycle seat to fix a small tear in it and my young nephew thought he'd be helpful. He washed my motorcycle with the seat off...spraying water all over the electrical wires!  Great!  LOL!   Got to love kids!

Of course, I wiped everything down but now it just makes a clicking sound.   I've got the battery on a charger and hoping in a few days, it'll just dry out.  I'm guessing water got in somewhere but not sure.

What do you guys think?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Motorcycle Wet
Reply #1 - 08/04/15 at 20:34:57

probably flooded the bat box, give it time it'll dry out.

but check the air box, pull the drain plug on the bottom.

WWW   IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #2 - 08/04/15 at 20:41:16

verslagen1 wrote on 08/04/15 at 20:34:57:
probably flooded the bat box, give it time it'll dry out.

but check the air box, pull the drain plug on the bottom.

Yea, I checked the air box and there was water in there.   I can wait a while for it to dry out.  We've been getting a lot of rain here in Ohio, so haven't been able to ride much.  

On the plus size, my motorcycle looks nice!   Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/04/15 at 21:34:22

Battery charge and drying time should do the trick...

Cute story... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/04/15 at 21:42:15

How old is he?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/05/15 at 05:01:31

Get that bike out in the sun, put a fan in the garage...anything to get the water dried out ASAP.  I would recommend taking the air filter out and getting some air/sun on it to help dry it out.  The longer this stuff stays damp the more corrosion can happen.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 08/05/15 at 06:48:05

If you have one and haven't already, a leaf blower is good to blow water out of the nooks and crannies that could be sitting in there that you can't see.  As you have probably read, when we wash our bikes (under known circumstances  Cheesy) we will take the leaf blower to it immediately after and then run it for about 10 minutes to dry up any remaining water we can't see. Unfortunately in your case you can't get it running to do part2, but you definitely want to blow out any water that may be hanging around.  But, if it's as hot there as it is in central Alabama, any water on the bike anywhere would be scorched out by the heat of the sun in 5 minutes.

On a side note, I hope you weren't too hard on the nephew. Good to see the kid taking some initiative versus the world full of lazy entitlement idiots we have raising more entitlement idiots.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/05/15 at 08:06:40

Yep....the leaf blower is a big part of my wash routine.

As soon as the rinse is done, the leaf blower fires up and I start blowing off things at the top of the bike and work down.  You would be amazed how much water sits on top of the engine and in the cooling fins.  I spend quite a bit of time getting the spokes and wheel hubs and the belt pretty dry.  The a towel try of the smooth bits.....and a 10 minute ride to blow and heat the rest of the water out.  (Never wash your bike and push it into the garage and close the door.....it will hold onto water for a week or more).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #8 - 08/05/15 at 12:10:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/04/15 at 21:42:15:
How old is he?

He is 9.   I didn't yell at him or anything.  He didn't know any better and was just trying to help.

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #9 - 08/05/15 at 12:12:01

Dave wrote on 08/05/15 at 05:01:31:
Get that bike out in the sun, put a fan in the garage...anything to get the water dried out ASAP.  I would recommend taking the air filter out and getting some air/sun on it to help dry it out.  The longer this stuff stays damp the more corrosion can happen.

Yeah I got the air filter out already.

Good idea on the leaf blower!  I'll do that tonight when I get home.  I was going to put it in the sun tonight too but the leaf blower things is a GREAT idea!  

Thanks for suggesting that!

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #10 - 08/05/15 at 12:15:15

stewmills wrote on 08/05/15 at 06:48:05:
If you have one and haven't already, a leaf blower is good to blow water out of the nooks and crannies that could be sitting in there that you can't see.  As you have probably read, when we wash our bikes (under known circumstances  Cheesy) we will take the leaf blower to it immediately after and then run it for about 10 minutes to dry up any remaining water we can't see. Unfortunately in your case you can't get it running to do part2, but you definitely want to blow out any water that may be hanging around.  But, if it's as hot there as it is in central Alabama, any water on the bike anywhere would be scorched out by the heat of the sun in 5 minutes.

On a side note, I hope you weren't too hard on the nephew. Good to see the kid taking some initiative versus the world full of lazy entitlement idiots we have raising more entitlement idiots.

Yeah, he's a good kid.  He's 9 yrs old and we've been watching him every weekend for the past couple of years since his Mother...well, isn't the best Mother around.  So, he feels like we are more his parents and he LOVES my motorcycle.    He was just trying to help.  So, can't be mad about that!  Smiley

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 08/05/15 at 16:19:55

Good to see you turning lemons into lemonade!  Smiley

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #12 - 08/05/15 at 17:19:42

Leaf blower did the trick.  5 minutes and it started right up!   I took her for an hour long ride too.   Thanks again for the suggestions all!   Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/05/15 at 19:26:06

You have a real opportunity to guide that kid. If he took the initiative to try to help, he wants to Do stuff and be recognized. Find little ways he can help, even if you have to leave something somewhere Just so he can get it for you. And you can thank him. Bit much,maybe, but you get the idea.
Teach him what tools are what,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #14 - 08/05/15 at 23:33:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/05/15 at 19:26:06:
You have a real opportunity to guide that kid. If he took the initiative to try to help, he wants to Do stuff and be recognized. Find little ways he can help, even if you have to leave something somewhere Just so he can get it for you. And you can thank him. Bit much,maybe, but you get the idea.
Teach him what tools are what,  

Yeah, we've been working with him and teaching him what we consider good values.  He's come a long way.   I'm not the greatest mechanic but I show him what little I know but teach him more about just being a good person and having integrity. ethics, etc.  We don't have kids of our own and my Mom has seen me with him and gave me a nice compliment.  She said if we'd have had kids, I would have made a good Father.   Nice to hear that from her but it's even nicer to see our nephew learning from us and I think he'll be OK and become a good man and member of society.  I often will ask him for help on things and have him think it out.  Kids are amazing at how their brains work!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:32:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle Wet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.