needle clip position (Read 52 times)
Tony from tdot

Calling all Toronto
savage riders!

Toronto, Canada
needle clip position
08/05/15 at 18:05:02

hello all,

been tuning my savage following all the guidelines, almost got it perfect!

My question....does removing, or shimming, the white spacer achieve the same results as lowering the needle clip position?

I kept the spacer stock and went to the lowest clip position, and it worked wonders, but mid-range is still lacking. Just looking to clarify before I tear into her again.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: needle clip position
Reply #1 - 08/05/15 at 18:20:11

What year? I think the older ones had a different needle.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Tony from tdot

Calling all Toronto
savage riders!

Toronto, Canada
Reply #2 - 08/05/15 at 18:26:08

1986, 3(?)position clip. Ive lowered it to the lowest position, and MAN what a difference!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/06/15 at 04:13:19

I suspect the lack of clip positions on the later needles is an attempt to satisfy an EPA requirement that the carb not be easy to adjust....same as the brass plug over the idle mixture screw.

Whatever method is used to adjust the height of the needle in relation to the slide (moving a clip or changing the spacer height), will make a change in the fuel/air mixture.  When you raise the needle in the slide (lower clip or trim white spacer or reduce the number of washers), you will make the fuel/air mixture richer.

If the needle position causes the mixture to be too lean, the engine tends to have a flat spot, bog, low power or surging at throttle settings a bit over 1/8th throttle.  If you move the throttle so that you are accelerating like normal traffic on the way to church.....and the bike is surging - but it runs smooth at full throttle - you most likely need to raise the needle to richen up the mixture.  When the needle is too rich the bike tends to blubber and make strange noises when you roll off the throttle, and it gets poor fuel mileage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:39:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › needle clip position

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.