Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sputtering and cutting out at speed. (Read 42 times)
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sputtering and cutting out at speed.
07/29/15 at 19:02:06

I have a 99 Savage that I did the Ryca conversion on.  7200 miles now. Sporty gas tank. Gravity petcock. An open K&N style air filter. And a custom exhaust created by cutting the original at the first horizontal bend and welding a 45 degree slashcut that ends right below the right side cover.  This leaves no other bends in the exhaust other than the original one on the header from the cylinder.  I believe it was jetted when I purchased it as it had a slashcut Jardine exhaust on it. Prior to any mods that I did, it backfired on deceleration.  After modification, it backfired a lot between shifting from 1st to 2nd and even more on deceleration (Understandably).  Very loud.  It also blows a nice blue flame out the exhaust when it backfires as well.  At speed, when I look down at night, a faint small blue flame steadily blows out the exhaust about 2 inches.  (I love the flames but can't help but think its running rich? because of the gravity fed valve which dumps fuel into the carb if not shut off when sitting.  Obviously).  At idle (like when sitting at a light for a long time),  the bike "coughs" every now and again and a little bit of choke takes that right out.  Other than that, the bike ran pretty well for the first 1100 miles that I had it all modded.  Lately, the bike has been suddenly sputtering and almost stalling while I am riding (dangerous... especially when in front of other vehicles going up a hill) and a quick grab of the clutch and rev of the throttle peps it back up.  When I got home I checked out everything to see what I could see and lo and behold, the boot that attaches the carb to the cylinder head has torn and split in half!!!!  

1)My assessment is that the bike has suddenly been stalling because the boot tore bigger and now the bike is getting even more air and less fuel and actually stalling out at speed.  The "coughing" prior during the first 1100 miles was possibly the tear in the boot being big enough to let it gulp air every now and again and almost stalling out.   Replacing this should fix all of those issues.  It needs to be replaced anyways. Thoughts?

2)My second assessment is that with such a direct air flow (assuming there was no tear in the boot in the initial 1100 miles), with the flames, the lack of jetting, I could be ruining my piston and cylinder.  The bike does run hot (normal in an air cooled bike) and has white residue inside of the header close to the cylinder (this was noticed before the bike started cutting out).  Jetting should take care of this all immediately.  I am unsure if I should go up in size or down in size.  I have the jets that Ryca sent with the kit and don't even know what they are.  I can easily figure out how to do it but just don't know if the effort is worth it or what jet I should consider. Thoughts?

3).  Is there a vacuum petcock that will fit the sporty tank that is a 1/2" thread?  (I believe it is that diameter from up here in my bedroom).  That might fix issues as well?

Thanks in advance from a reasonably technically savvy, but lacking the understanding of performance, rider.

PS.  The fuel valve is open completely.  No modifications to the carb have been done.  The vacuum valve has been plugged. Fuel is fresh.  Tank is new with no rust. Tank cap is vented style (this is an issue itself).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Sputtering and cutting out at speed.
Reply #1 - 07/30/15 at 03:59:13

When your inlet boot split....you obviously were getting too much air into the engine and it was running lean.  They don't run well that way.

If your float and needle/seat in the carb is functioning properly, it will control the level of the fuel in the float bowl.  The vacuum operated petcock shuts off the fuel when the engine is not running.....when the engine is running the vacuum petcock is open and functions just like a manual petcock....it does not control fuel flow or the fuel level in the carb when the engine is running.  Manual petcocks work just fine if the needle/seat in the carb is operating properly.

By installing a Pod filter and having an open exhaust....you have created a jetting nightmare.  The big single doesn't like an open and unrestricted exhaust system, and it is almost certain you are going to have backfiring and a very difficult and nearly impossible task in getting jetting that will allow the bike to run properly.  Same for the Pod filter.....the carb really prefers to have a smooth, laminar flow of air on the inlet side of the carb, and if the POD filter is blocking any of that oval looking vent at the top of the carb inlet, the bike will run very poorly.

So.....the bottom line is that you have created a monster that is anybody's guess as how to tame it.  You really need some form of baffle in the exhaust system to diffuse the pressure pulses in the exhaust system - the goal is not to create a restriction and build up pressure....but a system that will cancel pressure pulses and waves traveling back and forth in the header pipe.  I am sure you have heard the coughing and banging and backfiring on the Harley's with open headers.....they have the same issues and the big cylinders really don't run well with open exhaust pipes and a short air cleaner in front of the carb.  (You can't compare your bike with the open exhaust on race bikes.....they are designed to run great at full throttle and high rpm and they most likely run crappy at partial throttle as well).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 05:56:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sputtering and cutting out at speed.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.