Send Topic Print
choke (Read 72 times)
bobdog

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bremerton, Wa.
choke
07/10/15 at 23:15:04

The choke only works at halfway notch then in about two minutes I have to catch it with the throttle till warm . I'm running large jets ,thin spacer with uni-pod filter and super-trap with glass pack,no disks . like to hear any and all ideas. Thanks !

2009 red w/white,emgo short vintage style muffler , carb spacer mod. 2 washers. raptor petcock, 4" uni pod filter and 50.pilot, 150 main .
bobdog bobdog bobdog   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: choke
Reply #1 - 07/11/15 at 12:41:07

What do you mean by "only works"?  What symptoms do you experience with full choke?

My bike is properly jetted. Once started (full choke) I remove the choke completely and it settles into a nice idle. If you need to run an extended choke session or the bike wont run without nursing the throttle, something needs to be adjusted.

Can you explain what "large jets" and "thin spacer" means with specific info?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/11/15 at 13:32:52

I had stage one cam, Supertrapp, fourteen disks, OEM pilot, cuz it was stuck, can't be sure, but I wanna say the main was a 152.. I hadda adjust the idle up every First start of the  day, adjusting it down as it came to operating temps. The white washer ground to about 2/3rods stock.
I never got to run with anyone else on a Savage but I figure there are maybe five here that would beat it zero to sixty. Some of these guys are Seriously good carb tuners, and they dropped pounds off the bike. I still got 49MPG.. tuned the idle air, grumbled and snarled downshifting , but with throttle control it was quiet enough to not get unwanted attention. Riding past hospitals or horses , no problems.

Don't be afraid to share details. We need to know everything about it you know.
Year model, miles,
Choke doesn't work right.
Acts like the choke isn't pulled
Floods out?
A low idle speed, trying to make it sound cool, causes low oil pressure. It will ruin the head. If it's running less than  1,000 RPM, it's being damaged.
If it is barely running every Time it starts, .... it's getting hurt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobdog

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bremerton, Wa.
Reply #3 - 07/11/15 at 13:36:43

152.5+55 ,my needle has a hand sanded white spacer thats just thick enuf to cover the clip. My bike dies if I leave the choke even halfway out. Got no fast idle w/choke at all ,cold or warm .

2009 red w/white,emgo short vintage style muffler , carb spacer mod. 2 washers. raptor petcock, 4" uni pod filter and 50.pilot, 150 main .
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 07/11/15 at 19:10:02

Your idle circuit is piss rich, that's why it wont run on the choke. Try reinstalling the stock 52.5 pilot. Replace the unknown needle spacer with 2 or 3 #4 stainless steel washers (I'd start with 3). Adjust the idle screw for max rpm.

Oh, replace the spark plug because it's probably fouled or darn near it due to the long use of choke..

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
bobdog

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bremerton, Wa.
Reply #5 - 07/11/15 at 20:24:33

if I leave the choke out , it dies. I will try a smaller pilot .thanks !

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:32:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › choke

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.