Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modding fork diameter to fit new turn signals. (Read 89 times)
parkingcoordinator
YaBB Newbies

Modding fork diameter to fit new turn signals.
07/06/15 at 20:13:30

I'd like to install a couple turn signals I purchased from Ebay that wrap around the forks.  Unfortunately they are slightly larger than my stock Savage forks.  As I have read here, the forks are 38mm, my turn signals appear to be about 41.275mm.  I've considered using exhaust wrap on the forks (I'm going for the Rat look anyways) but I'm concerned about them getting water logged and rusting the forks.  I've even thought about just wrapping some high quality gaff (NOT duct!) tape around them but I'm afraid even that will fall apart over time.

Does anybody have any simple solutions for compensating for the 3 or so millimeters I need to lose?

Thanks.

IMG_8231.JPG
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Modding fork diameter to fit new turn signals.
Reply #1 - 07/06/15 at 20:20:08

Sheet of rubber cut to fit?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/06/15 at 20:21:00

Park,

Wrap the forks with rubber tape. I have used the tape that is used for heavy electric splices with success.

I suppose a strip of motorcycle inner tube and a little contact cement would work just as well.

Either the rubber tape or inner tube are as water resistant as you can get. And either will help with vibration.

Kenny G

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 07/06/15 at 20:25:24

I bought a flyshield for my Savage. It mounted to the fork tubes. The clamps were a "universal" fit and were larger than the fork tubes. The flyshield came with pieces of a firm, rubber-like material from about 1/32 to 1/8 inches thick. You picked the thickness to fill the gap between the clamp and the tube.  The rubber was adhesive backed. You simply stuck the pieces to the inside of the clamp, then mounted the clamp on the fork tube. When I transferred the flyshield to my Kaw Vulcan 800, I peeled off the rubber and stuck thinner pieces on to match the thicker fork tubes of the Vulcan. I think this same method would work for your turn signals. I would imagine you could buy similar material at hobby stores or maybe even Walmart.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 07/06/15 at 21:08:27

Inner tube rubber, cut to size....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
parkingcoordinator
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 07/06/15 at 21:19:45

Those sound like good solutions.  I certainly have plenty of worthless spent tubes lying around so I'll go that route first.  I'll post back with the final product after I finish.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #6 - 07/08/15 at 16:40:01

Adhesive backed rubber tape is the best solution....simple rubber strips from Home Depot will work as well.

http://www.grainger.com/category/rubber-sheets-and-strips/rubber/raw-material...

http://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Rubber-adhesive-strip-thick/dp/B00EE9LKRA

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Raw-Materials/Rubber/Rubber-Strips?navid=1...

The inner tube idea is of course, the cheapest...but that material is very thin and will compress quite a bit if you put on multiple layers. Might as well try it though!

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 07:22:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Modding fork diameter to fit new turn signals.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.